Radio Derby

Norman Hull

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

People know by know I am not keen on steel so if I had my way get buxton in and give rammage a call all is forgiven you can come back now do what do best at.

What does he do best though ? if you allude to making crass unthinking totally inappropriate comments then yes that could be it 

Steele is very good at the commentary lark despite not having much experience at it.

Itll be interesting to hear Bucko, hope he has a good game!

Maybe rotating a few more former players in for when Steele can’t do it would work, they have to be cogent though, so don’t give Mr “as you say” a call!

I think the departure of Ramage will ultimately prove to be a good thing for RD commentary team!

10 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

I love Bucko, but he’s not the most articulate fella.

Just a normal bloke with super powers who isn't up himself. I reckon he'll be more interested in talking about what's happening on the pitch than he will be in talking about his past glorious efforts for Derby.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Just a normal bloke with super powers who isn't up himself. I reckon he'll be more interested in talking about what's happening on the pitch than he will be in talking about his past glorious efforts for Derby.

And Bucko has many many more glorious moments in a Derby shirt....more than Ramage can even dream about..

21 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Steele is very good at the commentary lark despite not having much experience at it.

Itll be interesting to hear Bucko, hope he has a good game!

Maybe rotating a few more former players in for when Steele can’t do it would work, they have to be cogent though, so don’t give Mr “as you say” a call!

I think the departure of Ramage will ultimately prove to be a good thing for RD commentary team!

Actually, Eric has plenty of experience - used to do games with Gibbo & the gang for Radio Derby in the 90s.

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Hall was a bit to miserable for me.  But of course Richards is the GOAT..

Hate hearing/reading this. Hall was a genius. His insight was amazing. Just cos he had the dialect of a coal miner, doesn't mean he was miserable!

Ramage was chirpy, but never enlightened anyone.

Richards was novel at best. The amount of basic mistakes in commentary he made was embarrassing, but because he was eccentric and eloquent, he's held in higher regard than he should be.

14 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I liked Hall.

The whole "he talks a good game", was perfect for him. "Win at home, a point away".

I loved listening to radio Derby, I was a teenager, couldnt afford to go to the games so was glued to the radio.

One of my fave moments was Graham Richard's when we were playing West Ham and they had just signed Paul Kitson and John Hartson. Richard's described them as (words to effect) "absolutely awful, two of the worst signings West ham could have ever made"...we lost 2-0, both players scoring I think.

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hate hearing/reading this. Hall was a genius. His insight was amazing. Just cos he had the dialect of a coal miner, doesn't mean he was miserable!

Ramage was chirpy, but never enlightened anyone.

Richards was novel at best. The amount of basic mistakes in commentary he made was embarrassing, but because he was eccentric and eloquent, he's held in higher regard than he should be.

Richards was quality. He was one of the reasons I and many people enjoyed listening to the commentary. The way he described events was better than most commentators I have heard. 

52 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

We've all got our favourites, for various reasons.

To me, Ross Fletcher is as good as it gets. But I totally understand why Graham is the King to thousands of Derby fans.

I also have really fond memories of Roger Davies as summariser, probably due to him being in the chair when I started working on Sportscene.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I liked Hall.

The whole "he talks a good game", was perfect for him. "Win at home, a point away".

I loved listening to radio Derby, I was a teenager, couldnt afford to go to the games so was glued to the radio.

One of my fave moments was Graham Richard's when we were playing West Ham and they had just signed Paul Kitson and John Hartson. Richard's described them as (words to effect) "absolutely awful, two of the worst signings West ham could have ever made"...we lost 2-0, both players scoring I think.

I was at that game, the pair of them took us apart ?

I listened to Richards, Hall & Gibson, (sounds like a 70s band) particularly enjoyed when they gave out Maxwell’s fax number?

i enjoyed Mark Vesty I think his name was - not sure if he commentated but he was part of the radio Derby team.

you’re missed Owen 

44 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

To me, Ross Fletcher is as good as it gets. But I totally understand why Graham is the King to thousands of Derby fans.

I also have really fond memories of Roger Davies as summariser, probably due to him being in the chair when I started working on Sportscene.

Roger Davies was very good.  He doesn't like being flagged offside in charity games though...

49 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

problem I had with Roger was he'd give a very different opinion off-air. I enjoyed his on-air summaries, at least until I realised he censored himself for fear of upsetting the DCFC company-line.

Archived