Radio Derby

Norman Hull

7 hours ago, philmycocu said:

Still think it's quite sad that a single paragraph by Max Lowe has seemingly trashed a young sports journalists career, namely Chris Coles

Let’s not jump to conclusions. And definitely let’s not lay any blame at the door of Max Lowe for any of this. 

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Let’s not jump to conclusions. And definitely let’s not lay any blame at the door of Max Lowe for any of this. 

Agreed.

Personally, think he should have given Ramage a chance to explain his comments first rather than going to social media.

However, his response was dignified and he certainly has no blame in the situation.

It's half term. Sally Pepper has kids. Sally Pepper and Ed Dawes are a couple. Both are currently off-air. Might they have gone on holiday? 

Regardless of that possibility I think that Ed and Chris shouldn't be on air anyway while the investigation runs its course - it's usual practice.

Anyone who heard Chris trying to calm Ramage down earlier that evening when he was ranting about Max Bird (totally without cause, in my opinion) will hopefully know how difficult that task is live on air and take that into account in the investigation. 

I think he's a promising journalist and I also think Ed Dawes is a better journalist when he isn't having to contend with Ramage live on air. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Personally, think he should have given Ramage a chance to explain his comments first rather than going to social media.

Pathetic.  Do you mean he ( Lowe)  should not have gone public?

Did Rammage even realise he had said something offensive? At what point did he realise he had upset people. Should Lowe have written him a letter instead?

8 hours ago, philmycocu said:

Still think it's quite sad that a single paragraph by Max Lowe has seemingly trashed a young sports journalists career, namely Chris Coles, for not challenging the comment, he did nothing wrong and probably didn't even hear Ramage's stupid quote......

Why this reference to Max Lowe? Surely it should be "Still think it's quite sad that a racist comment by Craig Ramage has seemingly trashed a young sports journalists career "

Who are the offenders and victims in all this ?

Whilst I really don't rate Dawes I don't think it's a great idea to be discussing his abilities in the context and arena of the Ramage comments and sacking. They are 2 separate issues and when they cross over in these debates it muddies the waters on the racism issue and also suggests that culpability should be partly based on how people rate them in the job on a day to day basis which shouldn't be the case.

42 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's half term. Sally Pepper has kids. Sally Pepper and Ed Dawes are a couple. Both are currently off-air. Might they have gone on holiday? 

Regardless of that possibility I think that Ed and Chris shouldn't be on air anyway while the investigation runs its course - it's usual practice.

Anyone who heard Chris trying to calm Ramage down earlier that evening when he was ranting about Max Bird (totally without cause, in my opinion) will hopefully know how difficult that task is live on air and take that into account in the investigation. 

I think he's a promising journalist and I also think Ed Dawes is a better journalist when he isn't having to contend with Ramage live on air. 

Good post Angie!

Ive tried to keep quiet on here about this, mainly because I’ve found a lot of the comments made on here uncomfortable*. That’s wholly down to the insensitivity of posts be it racial or personal. Essentially Ramage can have few complaints and hopefully Coles and Dawes will see this as a the kick up the harris they both need out of it.

The podcast is a good idea, it’s actually valuable for us who don’t leave in the radio catchment so I hope it doesn’t see the end of it, but they all need to take responsibility and reevaluate before it can move on.

*I mean this across the board too, in other threads on a range of topics. The general tone of these posts have a ‘im just adding to the debate/holier than thou’ tone and have so little thought gone into them. They are increasing and add nothing to the forum except pages of aimless drivel and I suspect a poster feeling all smarty pants for five minutes.

3 hours ago, desirelines said:

I'm laying the blame at Craig Ramage, however Chris Coles has seemingly been accused of being his accomplice, which is very harsh indeed on a young journalist just starting out in his career

1 minute ago, philmycocu said:

I'm laying the blame at Craig Ramage, however Chris Coles has seemingly been accused of being his accomplice, which is very harsh indeed on a young journalist just starting out in his career

The podcast essentially has Coles and Dawes names to it, so they effectively signed off on it as a BBC podcast and without checking the content or seeing the problem with it. So no, it’s not as bad per se, but they brought the BBC into disrepute by being neglectful in different ways. Or at least that’s how I think the BBC will see it.

As I said before, it’s hopefully a wake up call for those two and nothing more.

24 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

The podcast essentially has Coles and Dawes names to it, so they effectively signed off on it as a BBC podcast and without checking the content or seeing the problem with it. So no, it’s not as bad per se, but they brought the BBC into disrepute by being neglectful in different ways. Or at least that’s how I think the BBC will see it.

As I said before, it’s hopefully a wake up call for those two and nothing more.

I’m not even sure Ed Dawes has anything to do with the podcast. 

I don't think people should be jumping on Coles'/Dawes' back for not taking Ramage to task live on air, they have time constraints to work to, and considering Ramage was already laying into other players and having a bit of a general rant,  Coles'/Dawes' might not have even registered the comment at the time it was said.  However, whoever edits the podcast should've picked up on it.  I listen to a fair few podcasts and most of the presenters allude to the task of editing it together themselves, so Coles'/Dawes' may do it themselves, at which point they should've picked up on it.  But with it being the BBC, they may have someone do it for them.  I can imagine whoever edited the audio and posted it online, will be in hot water...

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

I’m not even sure Ed Dawes has anything to do with the podcast. 

He’s not, but his face and name are connected:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7rd/episodes/downloads

So even if he’s choosing not to have anything to do with it, it’s neglectful to be allowing something out in your name without checking it. He was present on the day and it’s not like Coles and Ramage were doing extra work, if he didn’t want the responsibility his name shouldn’t have been on it.

7 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I don't think people should be jumping on Coles'/Dawes' back for not taking Ramage to task live on air, they have time constraints to work to, and considering Ramage was already laying into other players and having a bit of a general rant,  Coles'/Dawes' might not have even registered the comment at the time it was said.  However, whoever edits the podcast should've picked up on it.  I listen to a fair few podcasts and most of the presenters allude to the task of editing it together themselves, so Coles'/Dawes' may do it themselves, at which point they should've picked up on it.  But with it being the BBC, they may have someone do it for them.  I can imagine whoever edited the audio and posted it online, will be in hot water...

I’m pretty sure the podcast is recorded separately to the post 5 ramble on Radio Derby so there’s no time constraints in putting it together

Id say there’s a big chance that they edit it together themselves (it’s usually posted around an hour after the broadcast has finished) and post it. So the comment a) wasn’t picked up at the time and b) not likely to have been listened back to before being cobbled together. It may go to an editor but I’m neigh on certain it’d be a case of putting the files in order rather than listening through them.

I don’t want to see any external punishment handed to Coles or Dawes, but they need to at least be reprimanded in some way and learn a valuable lesson from it. 

11 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

He’s not, but his face and name are connected:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7rd/episodes/downloads

So even if he’s choosing not to have anything to do with it, it’s neglectful to be allowing something out in your name without checking it. He was present on the day and it’s not like Coles and Ramage were doing extra work, if he didn’t want the responsibility his name shouldn’t have been on it.

Pretty sure they automatically get uploaded to Sounds/iPlayer as they're broadcast anyway. I agree with you in principle, but you're making out like the 3 presenters are there in a shed uploading their little podcast to the internet. 

3 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Pretty sure they automatically get uploaded to Sounds/iPlayer as they're broadcast anyway. I agree with you in principle, but you're making out like the 3 presenters are there in a shed uploading their little podcast to the internet. 

Well it kinda is though isn’t it (aside the shed). It’s then summarising what was said in the ‘live from 5m’ bit and the interviews  Radio Derby don’t have a load of staff with them on matchday and it’s uploaded presumably whilst they are still at Pride Park.

My only point is that it was neglectful. It was neglectful of Ramage that he thought it was acceptable, neglectful by Coles not to pick up on it at the time or after and neglectful by Dawes for not being there for something officially he’s meant to have involvement in.

Ramage takes the ultimate punishment, but the other two have to learn the lesson 

18 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

The podcast is it’s own separate entity to the post-match reaction 

Archived