Radio Derby

Norman Hull

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hate hearing/reading this. Hall was a genius. His insight was amazing. Just cos he had the dialect of a coal miner, doesn't mean he was miserable!

Ramage was chirpy, but never enlightened anyone.

Richards was novel at best. The amount of basic mistakes in commentary he made was embarrassing, but because he was eccentric and eloquent, he's held in higher regard than he should be.

In fairness when compared to Graham's extrovert style he just came across that way, never questioned his insight.

I guess it all depends on what era you REALLY listened, like sat there with nothing else going on, hanging onto every word.  Richards, Hall & Gibson were commentating when I fell in love with DCFC at age 8 all the way through to the late 90's.  

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OwenB87 said:

We've all got our favourites, for various reasons.

To me, Ross Fletcher is as good as it gets. But I totally understand why Graham is the King to thousands of Derby fans.

I also have really fond memories of Roger Davies as summariser, probably due to him being in the chair when I started working on Sportscene.

Agree with Ross Fletcher Owen but Big Rog isn't articulate enough imo.

2 hours ago, OwenB87 said:

We've all got our favourites, for various reasons.

To me, Ross Fletcher is as good as it gets. But I totally understand why Graham is the King to thousands of Derby fans.

I also have really fond memories of Roger Davies as summariser, probably due to him being in the chair when I started working on Sportscene.

Ross and Tin Man were a brilliant pairing.

Scoring late against Preston and Fletcher saying "that's it, we must be going up this season", sent shivers down the spine.

My favourite Ian Hall comment was “ the linesman’s got thin legs. I never trust linesmen with thin legs”. To this day I occasionally find myself checking the linesman’s legs!

I don’t suppose it’s changed since they got a new name.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

problem I had with Roger was he'd give a very different opinion off-air. I enjoyed his on-air summaries, at least until I realised he censored himself for fear of upsetting the DCFC company-line.

Am I right in thinking he slaughtered Clough the night he was sacked having never been particularly negative about him prior? ?

1 hour ago, archram said:

My favourite Ian Hall comment was “ the linesman’s got thin legs. I never trust linesmen with thin legs”. To this day I occasionally find myself checking the linesman’s legs!

oooh GIF

2 hours ago, archram said:

I still call mine legs.  Must be getting old.

Archived