EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

If we get another crap recruitment team, then somethings wrong with our recruitment of recruitment teams. And so the chain continues I guess.

Theyre not similar in style as I say. They’re both overall negative managers, that’s my point. Whereas Mcclaren and Lampard were more positive. That’s a big shift for the players, that’s the point. Going from playing a pressing game to a ball retention game. Now I don’t mind the latter, but it’s not exactly continuity like we were expecting.

On the face of it we don’t know a lot. But we do know the EFL has charged us. Which is enough to be a little concerned for me. But even if the EFL is talking baalocks, which they may well be don’t get me wrong, then it’s still concerning to me how we’ve ended up even near this sort of situation. Especially considering I wouldn’t even say our transfer outlay has been that ludicrous considering the sales we’ve made as well. So the moneys obviously going elsewhere (wages? Bonuses?), where someone should have had greater control over it imo.

Oh I’m not saying that The Americans did an amazing job don’t get me wrong. I’ve seen Tony Pulis have more ambition. Mel has worn his heart on his sleeve and I commend him for that. But it’s my view that he isn’t very good at running a football club. Certainly not certain aspects of it anyway. He seems to be able to run a good academy. But it’s matters at first team level that worry me more.

Lampard team didn't press. That's one of the falsehoods spread about that time. The style of play isn't all that different, just the personnel. 

Even if we were sailing close to the wind, the EFL at the time said we were fine. That isn't an issue. That means we were within our means. The EFL are just going back on what they already said. We'll be fine. 

Well give examples of good Championship owners? I don't think it's so easy. Basically if all the money he put it went to good players you'd be singing his praises. He put his money and energy into making us the best he could. It hasn't always worked unfortunately, but I don't think that means he's done a bad job of running us. Who would do better? The grass is always greener, and all that.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

I’ve just checked back over the old accounts. It was revalued to £55m in December 2007, up from £20.8m.  Only thing I’m not sure on is how it ended up only being worth £43m when it was sold. That seems like a lot for just depreciation?

Ahah

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

I think it was worse than that although I can’t be bothered to look it up again.

we valued it at 56m in the previous accounts? Then magically sold it for 80m against yet another asset value of 40m?

only accountants can make this stuff up and pretend any of it makes any sense. 
maybe the league never did rubber stamp it all, and have been requesting proof of valuation etc ever since.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I think your standards might have slipped at the time. He was no Glenn Skivington was he. Him Frank Gamble, Frank Sheridan...the golden generation.

I grew up watching Roy Mac, Toddy, Nishy, Archie, Zak .......and you had to mention Glenn Skivington.

I've just found out that Mods can't put other posters on ignore......?

1 hour ago, MikeS said:

I hope we get a lucid and strongly worded statement from the club tomorrow. If we are conifident about our position, we should make it clear.

Of course, the EFL may have a case, we have to wait and see, but their past performance of running this league is not inspiring and suggests they are not to be relied on. They could end up with a lot of egg on their face, especially if this action is found to be under pressure from a few other Championship clubs with their own agendas or because they are now trying to pull back on previous decisions.   .  

Great word. 

I don’t think anyone can say Mel doesn’t have a vision, ambitions or positive intentions for the club.

But I can completely understand people taking aim at his decision making and how he has handled certain situations.

Confidence in his ownership and running of the club has steadily eroded since McClaren was first sacked and now some four and a half years later it has reached rock bottom.

What worries me is that there is a laundry list full of mistakes that the club have made over recent years, but have we really ever taken stock as a club and tried to change our ways?

Hopefully this FFP business and whatever the outcome is really forces the people within the club to take stock and start to change the club culture. 

How we have been operating since 2015 - it was always a feeling of promotion or bust. It was only a matter of time before the club imploded.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If you are referring to the forum in Alvaston....he did say that, but neither of them made any reference to the fact that the stadium had been sold Despite lots of questioning about how to cope with ffp. The story of the stadium sale broke only a day or days later. 

Hard to avoid concluding that they were economical with the truth. So the question is why.

i can only assume because it was a matter that had not be signed off by the powers that be. 

We're a fan base with no smell that was sold a bottled fart as perfume.

Kind of used to it by now though aren't we . Every ten years or so on average . I wait for it like a new strain of Flu.  At least Dean Holdsworth isn't up front with Kevin Poole in goal this time .

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Lampard team didn't press. That's one of the falsehoods spread about that time. The style of play isn't all that different, just the personnel. 

Even if we were sailing close to the wind, the EFL at the time said we were fine. That isn't an issue. That means we were within our means. The EFL are just going back on what they already said. We'll be fine. 

Well give examples of good Championship owners? I don't think it's so easy. Basically if all the money he put it went to good players you'd be singing his praises. He put his money and energy into making us the best he could. It hasn't always worked unfortunately, but I don't think that means he's done a bad job of running us. Who would do better? The grass is always greener, and all that.

I’m pretty sure we pressed a lot more than we do now, unless my memory is failing me. Only game I can remember getting annoyed at a lack of press was that playoff first leg... we certainly pressed in the second!

And this is the argument to suggest we might get away with it. And I do agree it’s a possibility. But there’s a nagging doubt in my mind that if it was that simple, why would the EFL even investigate things? They wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. It just feels to me that there must be something more to this.

If all his money went on good players, we’d have been promoted, so of course I’d be singing his praises. The fact it hasn’t is my biggest issue. Running a championship club is not easy, dont get me wrong. But I feel he should be doing a lot better job than he is. I’m a stickler for a bit of organisation... and it doesn’t feel that organised to me.

3 minutes ago, Gut_Reaction said:

I haven't said you have oh sensitive one

It's a good job we have good moral clubs like Bristol City to guide the rest of us cheats. 

Sensitive, because there is nothing more irritating than preachy away fans on here. 

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Oi, stop putting pictures of me up here ?

On a different note, anybody know the name of the company who did the PP valuation?

It was "webuyanystadium.com"

Apparently it was only £80m subject to an inspection by one of their dedicated professionals who's job was to say it was actually worth 50p

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If you are referring to the forum in Alvaston....he did say that, but neither of them made any reference to the fact that the stadium had been sold Despite lots of questioning about how to cope with ffp. The story of the stadium sale broke only a day or days later. 

Hard to avoid concluding that they were economical with the truth. So the question is why.

i can only assume because it was a matter that had not be signed off by the powers that be. 

Yes, I was very critical of them at the time but in hindsight I am hoping that is the only reason it was not disclosed, although I believe the sale was months earlier.

14 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I grew up watching Roy Mac, Toddy, Nishy, Archie, Zak .......and you had to mention Glenn Skivington.

I've just found out that Mods can't put other posters on ignore......?

None of them held a candle to Steve Carter though did they.

This is why, ultimately, none of this matters. It’s all just memories. Today’s news, tomorrow’s chip paper and there is no love like the first love and watching Ian Dalziel and thinking, well he’s not totally useless and definitely an improvement, puts it all into perspective. And one day the new Bobby Davison will arrive and everything will be ok again. so let’s all relax and pray that Sibley turns out to be better than Tony Reid, who let’s face it, we all thought and hoped, just might be ok. But he wasn’t. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Is a fair comment. As I said earlier in the thread, I think FFP is a load of baalocks and we should hold a vote to abolish it. Forces clubs, like yourselves and most in the division, to sell your best players to those already established clubs, giving no chance for anyone to break that status quo. But, the rules are there, and everyone should adhere to them. Just a shame that us fans get punished having to watch our team struggle for years because of the actions of our board, if we get punished as a club.

Completely agree with you. Supporters suffer whether from points deduction or the sale of better and often more entertaining players which in turn usually means loss of points. 

Our Chairman will not break the rules (also owns Bristol Rugby) and meticulously adheres to the financial rules with both clubs. Being in financial services it is rather important to his reputation to do so. However it means the football club sells its better players whenever an acceptable bid Is received because it is the ONLY way a Championship club can remain within the rules. He has the wealth to gamble on promotion even more so than Morris. It is no wonder Gibson up at t'boro has been complaining about a number of clubs. 

Archived