Boro (H) Match Thread

Bubbles

i am a fan of the 442 system in English football, think all in all it is the best and is most adjustable.  Glad to see Cocu employ it, hope that continues.

Couldn't follow the game as my mother and sister were visiting, but happy to see we got the win, now that we really needed it and of course the bonus satisfaction of irritating Gibson some more, long may that continue as well.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing that would improve that bottom three is if Leeds or Forest were in it as well. 

Lawrence superb today. First half probably the best I've seen from us this season. We were even good from corners today. Entire team played well - Shiniesta had a few good chances, Martin and Marriott looked great together, defence solid and Bogle especially was getting in some good positions second half. More of the same against Forest please.

First thoughts having just left match. Clarke very good in first half. Kept us in the game early on. 

Shinnie good in second half. Battered them after the red card so that second goal was required. Marriott pushed off the ball too easily. Lots of balls went to Bogle who did good. Martin quiet. Worst Boro team I’ve seen. 

Didn't see it but much improved performance, an important win and a clean sheet make for a great Saturday.

One in the eye for Cocu's critics who accuse him of tinkering too much as well. His post match interview was really good, and displayed his understanding of the game I thought. He was clearly delighted and deserves to be.

Also, the players deserve credit for following up another week of dismal PR for the club with a great reaction.

9 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Psychologically playing against 10 can make life harder. And  I believe Boro haven't been conceding that many.

Agreed Especially us over the years. After the last couple of weeks can we not just be positive for once and applaud a much better team performance all round. Well done Derby - all of you

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

With the weather the way it is I am actually not looking forward to any aspect of this game which is totally unlike me as I look for the positives in everything - yes 0-0 looks highly likely but hopefully Derby can actually perform well with a nice 3-0 win but I think what may spark my enthusiasm is Chris Martin starting with jack Marriott in a front two and see how it goes but it won’t happen will it?

Well well well the rain stopped and Martin and Marriott started together where Lawrence benefited and actually rather enjoyable 

as a side note the Middlesbrough player sent off today was he not the one that did the same challenge on Marriott in the same spot on the pitch last season and crippled Marriott and only got a yellow card?

Why isn't there a thread in the transfer pages about our new signing, and couldn't any of you watching mention his substitution?

'Lawrence wrapped up the win late on as he interchanged passes with Omar Bogle, beat a couple of defenders and shot home left-footed.' (BBC Sport)

Bogle back to his best. Bielik starting to look the player we hoped he was. Lawrence has an ‘on’ day - long may it continue. No duffers - all played well. 

Boro organised and hard to breakdown. They don’t concede many - we did well. 

Side looked much more balanced. Square pegs in square holes... Hope Cocu stays with this system for Florest...

Oh, and one other thing.

A number of people near me today at Pride Park were pretty silent until someone passed back to Roos, where they became apoplectic with rage. Some members of our fan base really frustrate me - when we're playing as well as we are today surely these fans can see that not every ball has to go forwards?

Our home form is not really a concern.

We have won four in a row and there’s an argument for us being unlucky not to win the three home games we drew. Had that happened, we’d have a record of seven home wins from eight, be in the top six, and the whole complexion of our season would look totally different.

It’s all about the away form. The real litmus test is seeing how the players stand up and be counted when we are up against it away from home.

People are not going to pay too much attention to a routine home win. But it’ll be interesting to see whether we can carry the positives from today into next week and those games against Forest and Fulham will be a good indication of where we stand in the division and set the tone for the rest of the season.

Two battling draws (or even a win) and Cocu may start to win over the doubters.

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I read that and thought "What a beautiful word.  I must google it, and subsequently use it myself".

... Now, I just feel like I've been had!  Would now be an appropriate time to call you an absolute nob, for conning me so!  

*Still looks good though... I may still steal it, once the dust has settled!  

It’s not a proper word but I took inspiration from Smithy from Gavin and Stacey. He calls a drink a beveragio so I thought I’d add to the frolics.

If you can’t tell, I’m a little pissed.

Lawrence looked relieved to win the applause of the crowd. 

I'm pleased for him. 

Also thought Shinnie played well and that Clarke deserved particular praise.

George Evans looked class. 

Hope Cocu keeps faith with todays front three. Didn't quite gel but clearly our best option. 

Archived