Boro (H) Match Thread

Bubbles

1 hour ago, paintingstandsatderby said:

From what Cocu said on Radio Derby it was more a change to suit playing against Boro or similar set-ups rather than a permanent switch. Fingers crossed though?

Lol 

I got the total opposite impression 

“he said we wanted to create more chances and get support to Chrissy Martin’ 

meaning - I realise we’ve created Bob all of late”

I think it’s here to stay based on his interview 

I’ll be hugely disappointed if it’s not 

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It was awesome.

Well a very big improvement on any other game I've seen this season....a lot more cohesion,players operating in areas and with tactics that suit them together with a functioning midfield,lovely.

And Lawrence and Marriott working off Martin worked an absolute treat.

Would have been nice for all three to have got a goal today,they all deserved it but I'm sure we will just that in future games as they begin to understand each other.

I really liked the 3 of them. It’s work in progress though. A lot of rust to shed and some learning to do but I hope he persists with it . Never understood lone striker, which is effectively what we have been doing for too long. 

Well, not been home long because the traffic getting out was terrible. But a difference - it looks like Cocu has decided to try and make the best of the players he has got instead of trying to make them play to his system when thy aren't actually up to it. And boy, didn't it work well!

There were some very good performances today, with Beilik "finding" himself. He seemed so settled in that midfield role, although Saville's boot apart, he didn't have much opposition. I ha just commented on Beilik's performance when he stretched for a ball and pulled a muscle or something. And although it was for a second knock, it wasn't long before he went off. Well done, Christian! Actually, Saville should have already been on a yellow card by the time he got his red one because he had cleaned Bogle out on two or three occasions early on in the first half. A horrible little player. Most of the time, Bogle had got the beating of his defender, and some of those beatings were really clever and skilful.

Although Tom got man  of the match, Shinnie ran him close, and Marriott wasn't too far out. Sometimes we only think of him as a striker, but he is actually a really good footballer, with great link-up play, and he tracks back and tackles a lot as well. Thanks, Jack! And I think Shinnie's arriv al is significant. He puts in lots of ground work, always wants the ball, and doesn't dither about - when he gets the ball, he is immediately looking to move it forwards and get things going. 

Incidentally, that was the difference in the opening few  minutes - we started off faffing about at the back again, which was the only time Middlesborough looked threatening, because we set them up with a couple of great opportunities. After that, they only knew which way to attack on the basis that they should be going towards the goal which their keeper isn't standing in! But fate the scare, we started to play from defence properly, i.e. getting it upfield much quicker, and it worked well.

I don't know how he got out of the box, but we had a ref who was more than half decent right up until the 70 minute mark, although he could have dished out a couple more yellows for the constant falling to floor as though shot, and some quite cynical fouls. My son said that having shown a red card, he would back off from anything more "hard-line", and it was the case, and he did go really soft on  Middlesborough for the last 20 minutes.

Perhaps my only complaint is about Holmes - I love the bloke because he has the cheek and impudence to try things you wouldn't expect, but often times his shot, cross or final ball is lacking, as are some of his decisions at the crucial moment - several times he could have put Martin or Marriott through, but didn't do so. But in reality, how can I complain when we could ping the ball around man-to-man-to-man as though that was how we played all the time! It was a joy to watch

Very pleasing. Apart from Cocu, having been praised by Radio Derby for the team formation and tactics, then spoke about it being what he thought was necessary for this match, and that how he sets the team up will depend on the opposition, i.e. rather than what actually works. Come on Mr Cocu, don't bin something which has actually produced the best performance all season.

19 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Lol 

I got the total opposite impression 

“he said we wanted to create more chances and get support to Chrissy Martin’ 

meaning - I realise we’ve created Bob all of late”

I think it’s here to stay based on his interview 

I’ll be hugely disappointed if it’s not 

Time will tell but I'll be surprised if he lines them up the same against florist. .... pleasantly!

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

What he said ??

I didn’t think I’d ever want to see someone succeed as much as Richard Keogh. Regardless of the off-the-pitch events, Cocu has surpassed that by an absolute mile this year. He seems like a lovely bloke and I couldn’t be happier for him after every win. 

I love the man.

59 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Do bother to check your 'intuitions' before posting. Just another negative fan accepting what others say.

I seem to recall a few occasions last season when we fought back having gone behind - look them up you will find quite a few. We have also quite a few games in recent years when we have scored first and then lost.

Negative fan. Love it. I was actually going to add that I don't why opposition managers pick on our fans when our home record is generally good.

I am certain Sky put up a stat saying when we score first at home we haven't lost in the last 40 games or something. I could well be wrong.

15 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Got to be the easiest 3 points we'll have all season, Boro truly piss poor.

If only we had the baalocks to attack from the off, rather than the last ten minutes. Would have been out of sigh

Woodgate won't make Christmas. Lovely to see Boro and Stoke propping up the table. 

Another positive, I've just seen that in form table (past 5 games) only Huddersfield have taken more points than us. Shows how unpredictable this league is, play offs are going to be a tall ask but aren't out of reach if we kick in to a bit of form.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Isn’t it a criminal offence to walk along a dual carriageway especially as there is no pavement?

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Last season we'd concede first all the time. Thats the only season I can ever remember where I'd be confident of us scoring and even winning the game from that position and we often did. Never had that feeling in any other Derby season.

We did it loads of times under Mac 1.

40 minutes ago, paintingstandsatderby said:

Time will tell but I'll be surprised if he lines them up the same against florist. .... pleasantly!

Oh I’m expecting a completely different line up for an away day at the dogs ... or anywhere on the road 

personally I’d like to see pip be brave and go for it .

its not like it’s totally reckless , two holding midfielders etc etc 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Block o is behind me I think. I have a look around to see if there’s anyone I know at half time. The only person i’ve seen this season though was Benjamin bloom, so I went over to say hello and welcome him to Derby. Haven’t even seen @loweman2 so i’m Guessing he’s moved seats. give us a wave next time ?

I’m still where I was in the beating heart of the west stand, first row behind directors box a few feet wide to the right of the centre line??

3 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

In the second half after a foul Martin tried to take a quick free kick to put Marriott through. The ref pulled it back, why? That is almost encouraging the opposition to foul to gain an advantage.

The ref indicated that it was a moving ball. But it wasn’t. And Marriott was clean through. Just a very poor piece of officiating. 

3 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Not sure whether anyone has mentioned Evans after he came on - thought he played well and made some good through passes.

He was excellent as was Bielik before him

Bodes well

39 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

The ref indicated that it was a moving ball. But it wasn’t. And Marriott was clean through. Just a very poor piece of officiating. 

Martin actually placed the ball. Proper referee bafoonery 

Archived