Boro (H) Match Thread

Bubbles

Clarke was quality. His best performance since the opening day! 

Shinnie with another decent performance. Apart from when he was on the top of the box. Decided to pass to a Boro player instead of shooting ?.

Marriott you could tell wasn't match fit, but it was very nice to see him and Martin together, hopefully Cocu sticks with it.

Lawrence a different player when played centrally. 

Little word for Evans, who I thought did a grand job when he came on. Absolute beauty of a ball through to Holmes. 

All in all good performance. Now can we have more of the same away from home please. 

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massive that Marriott came through unscathed, few mentions that he isn’t match fit yet, if only we can get him up to speed without any niggling injury woes I’m convinced he’ll tear plenty of defences apart this season. We’ve been waiting awhile for the ‘Return of the Jack’ (to the tune of ‘Return of the Mac’)

On the proviso he gets the service of course! 
Plenty have commented about how poor Boro were so next weeks tussle should give us a better idea that we’re genuinely on the up? 

4 hours ago, ram59 said:

You're more convincing than their manager, apparently, they had a few good chances and it was only the sending off which decided it. 

Their only shot on target was the one we gave them in the first minute. 

There was a reason his nickname at Leeds was "village". He's not very bright and probably in line for the sack any day now as a result. 

24 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Massive that Marriott came through unscathed, few mentions that he isn’t match fit yet, if only we can get him up to speed without any niggling injury woes I’m convinced he’ll tear plenty of defences apart this season. We’ve been waiting awhile for the ‘Return of the Jack’ (to the tune of ‘Return of the Mac’)

On the proviso he gets the service of course! 
Plenty have commented about how poor Boro were so next weeks tussle should give us a better idea that we’re genuinely on the up? 

It probably isn’t appropriate in the current climate but Jack The Knife could also make a great original chant 

Right, finally got time to write a proper post on my views on the game (been trying to do an online job application which crashed on me so I had to start it again for the last few hours ?). Firstly, have to say that’s an excellent result by us to win fairly “comfortably” against a team we usually struggle against, particularly given this weeks events. Well done to all who remained professional. Before I go into how good we were ( and we were pretty decent), have to have a quick word about how bad boro were- mainly cause it’s ducking funny. They really were absolutely awful- constantly giving us space, and couldn’t even score when we tried to let them! How Woodgate can say they were unlucky is beyond me- they had the rub of the green all match defending in their box, and the clear red aside, the ref was pretty much on their side the whole game! And we still managed to have 10 shots on target, even with our far from clinical front line! Frankly they were lucky it wasn’t 6 or 7, they really were that poor. Worst team I’ve seen at PP all season and I’m loving the fact that’s it Steve Gibson’s side! 

That said, the fact they were so poor and we “only” won 2-0. We were highly unlucky at times, with some worldie saves by their goalkeeper and last minute blocks etc, but we’ve really got to make more of our chances. It’s been a problem all season, players not making the right movements in the box, Poor decision making, poor passes etc etc meaning we waste far too many chances. It’s got to chnage, because we’ll face much harder tests than today where we won’t get anywhere near as many chances, and we’ll have to be much more effective taking those that we do get.

But, that should hopefully improve as the front line gel a bit more, and we don’t want to dwell on the negatives too much. It was a proper dominating performance by us today, probably the first 90 minute performance we’ve had all season- we were in control the whole way through the game, even before the red card. So well done to everyone for delivering probably the best match to date under the cloud of this week. The system with the personnel playing where they were today looked to have potential to me- while Martin and Marriott weren’t quite on the same wavelength yet, they were always looking for each other and there’s som excellent signs there. Lawrence was also much better today when allowed to play the through the middle as well. Another quality game breaking up play from Bielik and Shinnie too, they’re both extremely good In the tackle which is something we’ve lacked for a while. Special mentions for Evans and Clarke too, the former for impressing on his return to fitness, and the latter for his best game since the opening weekend. Anyway, player ratings for me:

Roos 6- Not busy, decent on the ball, still looked flappy whenever they did get a cross in

Bogle 9- Absolutely brilliant performance, underrated by many who are probably used to his abilities by now. He’s just so bloody good on the ball, by far technically our best player imo, he’s a constant threat going forward, shown by another assist today, and he’s generally just so comfortable at both ends of the pitch. Any fullback in this division with the consistency of performance he shows is probably too good for this league, yet alone one of his age! We’re very lucky to have our academy produce him, he’s just incredible for a 19 year old, and his performances week in week out mustn’t go unnoticed.

Davies 8- Recovered after a dodgy start (to say the least!) to have a solid game. Not Hugely tested, but normally did well in possession and stopped any real chance boro had of an attack at its source.

Clarke 8- Best game in a long time, actually made some decent passes and was imperious in defence whenever boro did get forward, including one absolutely brilliant block at the start of the match that was as good as a goal and contributed hugely towards the three points today

Malone 7- Typical Malone performance, caught napping from time to time, but generally excellent going forward on the ball, with some quality crosses. Hope he’s ok after his injury, it didn’t look good at first to me but he carried on!

Shinnie 8- Another “typical Shinnie” performance as he begins to really establish himself into the side as he showcases consistently what he can bring to it. More of the normal desire and battling for every ball, as well as some showcasing of his abilities going forward as well, with a few decent runs through midfield (he’ll not forget that pass in a hurry though!)

Bielik 8- Similar to Shinnie really, he really does have a phenomenal tackle on him, and excellent skill on the ball. Can tell he’s got top class ability, if he could be a bit more consistent with his passing quality he’d be top drawer. But still, another good game from him today breaking the play up and starting attacks. Hope he’s ok too after that nasty challenge, but it sounds that way luckily.

Marriott 6- Rusty for me. Should’ve done better with a few chances in terms of putting players in and taking chances himself. But he was trying the right things and getting in the right positions, so I’d put it down to a lack of fitness. He’ll probably be a little disappointed not to score, but it’ll come.

Holmes 7- As usual, some quality touches and ball carrying which showcased his ability, but he still needs to improve his final back for me. Still, he worked hard and played some decent passes.

Lawrence 9 MOM- Still don’t like him after recent events, but you can’t deny he’s come back in the team and battled hard to his place in fairness. Top quality performance by him today, 2 Great goals and generally played well finding pockets of space, driving at the boro defence, as well as linking up with Martin and Marriott well. Need to see this consistently please Tom!

Martin 7- Showed his class with a great through ball to Lawrence for the opener. Another good game in general holding the ball up well and bringing others into play with some deft touches. Still a bit rusty like Marriott in front of goal, but hopefully they’ll get on the same wavelength soon and build a partnership. Both will get fitter and better, hopefully.

Subs:

Evans 7- Impressive when he came on, some great accurate lofted passes, almost Huddlestone esque that we’ve maybe been missing a little in CDM with big Tom injured.

Waghorn 6- Battled well as he always does

Lowe 6- Little time to make an impact, but was a threat toward the end going forward.

I’m gonna make a bold claim and say Shinnie is as good as Kante. The disclaimer is that Kante is both overrated and that people don’t get him, but still. Shinniesta’s incredible. He’s a ball winning machine. I thought he was crap on the ball based on his Aberdeen days but even in that regard he’s shocked me. 

I’m expecting some laughing face replies to this but by Christ, he’s a player

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

When the fans had the chairman sing off in the first half, Morris got up, walked over to Gibson and said something...I'd love to know what he said.

I read his lips, he clearly said:

'Stevie, Stevie, what's the score, Stevie what's the score? Shall I get you a double in the bar before you duck up back north?'

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Right, finally got time to write a proper post on my views on the game (been trying to do an online job application which crashed on me so I had to start it again for the last few hours ?). Firstly, have to say that’s an excellent result by us to win fairly “comfortably” against a team we usually struggle against, particularly given this weeks events. Well done to all who remained professional. Before I go into how good we were ( and we were pretty decent), have to have a quick word about how bad boro were- mainly cause it’s ducking funny. They really were absolutely awful- constantly giving us space, and couldn’t even score when we tried to let them! How Woodgate can say they were unlucky is beyond me- they had the rub of the green all match defending in their box, and the clear red aside, the ref was pretty much on their side the whole game! And we still managed to have 10 shots on target, even with our far from clinical front line! Frankly they were lucky it wasn’t 6 or 7, they really were that poor. Worst team I’ve seen at PP all season and I’m loving the fact that’s it Steve Gibson’s side! 

That said, the fact they were so poor and we “only” won 2-0. We were highly unlucky at times, with some worldie saves by their goalkeeper and last minute blocks etc, but we’ve really got to make more of our chances. It’s been a problem all season, players not making the right movements in the box, Poor decision making, poor passes etc etc meaning we waste far too many chances. It’s got to chnage, because we’ll face much harder tests than today where we won’t get anywhere near as many chances, and we’ll have to be much more effective taking those that we do get.

But, that should hopefully improve as the front line gel a bit more, and we don’t want to dwell on the negatives too much. It was a proper dominating performance by us today, probably the first 90 minute performance we’ve had all season- we were in control the whole way through the game, even before the red card. So well done to everyone for delivering probably the best match to date under the cloud of this week. The system with the personnel playing where they were today looked to have potential to me- while Martin and Marriott weren’t quite on the same wavelength yet, they were always looking for each other and there’s som excellent signs there. Lawrence was also much better today when allowed to play the through the middle as well. Another quality game breaking up play from Bielik and Shinnie too, they’re both extremely good In the tackle which is something we’ve lacked for a while. Special mentions for Evans and Clarke too, the former for impressing on his return to fitness, and the latter for his best game since the opening weekend. Anyway, player ratings for me:

Roos 6- Not busy, decent on the ball, still looked flappy whenever they did get a cross in

Bogle 9- Absolutely brilliant performance, underrated by many who are probably used to his abilities by now. He’s just so bloody good on the ball, by far technically our best player imo, he’s a constant threat going forward, shown by another assist today, and he’s generally just so comfortable at both ends of the pitch. Any fullback in this division with the consistency of performance he shows is probably too good for this league, yet alone one of his age! We’re very lucky to have our academy produce him, he’s just incredible for a 19 year old, and his performances week in week out mustn’t go unnoticed.

Davies 8- Recovered after a dodgy start (to say the least!) to have a solid game. Not Hugely tested, but normally did well in possession and stopped any real chance boro had of an attack at its source.

Clarke 8- Best game in a long time, actually made some decent passes and was imperious in defence whenever boro did get forward, including one absolutely brilliant block at the start of the match that was as good as a goal and contributed hugely towards the three points today

Malone 7- Typical Malone performance, caught napping from time to time, but generally excellent going forward on the ball, with some quality crosses. Hope he’s ok after his injury, it didn’t look good at first to me but he carried on!

Shinnie 8- Another “typical Shinnie” performance as he begins to really establish himself into the side as he showcases consistently what he can bring to it. More of the normal desire and battling for every ball, as well as some showcasing of his abilities going forward as well, with a few decent runs through midfield (he’ll not forget that pass in a hurry though!)

Bielik 8- Similar to Shinnie really, he really does have a phenomenal tackle on him, and excellent skill on the ball. Can tell he’s got top class ability, if he could be a bit more consistent with his passing quality he’d be top drawer. But still, another good game from him today breaking the play up and starting attacks. Hope he’s ok too after that nasty challenge, but it sounds that way luckily.

Marriott 6- Rusty for me. Should’ve done better with a few chances in terms of putting players in and taking chances himself. But he was trying the right things and getting in the right positions, so I’d put it down to a lack of fitness. He’ll probably be a little disappointed not to score, but it’ll come.

Holmes 7- As usual, some quality touches and ball carrying which showcased his ability, but he still needs to improve his final back for me. Still, he worked hard and played some decent passes.

Lawrence 9 MOM- Still don’t like him after recent events, but you can’t deny he’s come back in the team and battled hard to his place in fairness. Top quality performance by him today, 2 Great goals and generally played well finding pockets of space, driving at the boro defence, as well as linking up with Martin and Marriott well. Need to see this consistently please Tom!

Martin 7- Showed his class with a great through ball to Lawrence for the opener. Another good game in general holding the ball up well and bringing others into play with some deft touches. Still a bit rusty like Marriott in front of goal, but hopefully they’ll get on the same wavelength soon and build a partnership. Both will get fitter and better, hopefully.

Subs:

Evans 7- Impressive when he came on, some great accurate lofted passes, almost Huddlestone esque that we’ve maybe been missing a little in CDM with big Tom injured.

Waghorn 6- Battled well as he always does

Lowe 6- Little time to make an impact, but was a threat toward the end going forward.

Excellent assessment, hard to disagree with any of it. 

10 hours ago, David said:

I walked down the M180, Police don’t like it, ended up picking me and dropping me off in Brigg. No charge, fine or anything. Think she fancied me though. 

Back in 1980, as a 17 year old, I was chatted up by someone claiming to be "from St Margaret's Hospital, up the road" (Great Barr).  I immediately assumed nurse/uniform/this is the night etc, etc.  Turned out to be a mental hospital, and she was a live-in patient.  My ardour wasn't ard for long!

I guess what I am saying is... erm... well, nothing of note, I suppose... but an interesting anecdote nonetheless, no?  

I thought the whole team was fantastic couldnt really fault anybody they all did there jobs well and it seemed to work better having the 2 up top the link up play between marriott and Lawrence, holmes and Martin looked dangerous we have been missing them runs in and around the back of the defence! I would like to also give big credit to Lawrence as i say it alot that he never gives us anything but he was class yesterday worked hard never gave up and look dangerous whilst running at his man! 

When Assombolonga went round Roos after 2 minutes and had the entire goal to choose his spot it looked bleak. Suddenly Clarke blocked the shot & from that point it looked like Derby County of yester-year. No ponderous sideways passing. There was movement; Lawrence in the pocket behind the front 2 worked well Bielik looked like a thoroughbred and it was enjoyable to watch. A lovely first goal. We should have gone on and scored more & had the ref not been a muppet we would have. Much better Derby and yes Marriott & Martin together. Mar-might!. 

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ian Beale-ik really is the dog’s testicles. Class above. 

Was very George Thorneesque yesterday, mopping up and some of his cross field balls were superb, gutted he came off but then evans came on and was excellent too.

15 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Was very George Thorneesque yesterday, mopping up and some of his cross field balls were superb, gutted he came off but then evans came on and was excellent too.

Good point about Evans. He showed his range of passing, particularly, when he came on. Be nice if he could just stay fit. Offers us some good options. The weird thing is, at the moment, between Ian and Evans we could actually put out a couple of centre backs who can play out from the back - just we don’t have anyone who could adequately cover in midfield without Ian in there. Hopefully, he’s not injured. 

Archived