Luton Town (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

Good to get the win before the international break, 7 points out the last 9 is what I expected and got, after the international break we have 2 away against Charlton and Hull and a home game against Wigan in between to end October I would take 5 points and 6 would be fantastic. Thought today was much better in midfield but our final ball was often lacking just like Barnsley away, think Rooney will really improve this weakness, so as long as we are in the top 10 by the time he arrives I am sure we can reach the play offs again, also still need a wide player and a goalkeeper as Roos and Jozz are not good enough, and are our weak links. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this stage, it’s all about setting the platform. You can’t really worry too much about performances in October. Games like today’s are ones you simply have to win by hook or crook (or even in this case, luck).

9 points from 15 and five unbeaten is a steady return when you consider where we were after the last international break.

Of course it is tinged with disappointment that it could and should have been more. But some may argue it could and should have been less - so what can you do?

Another interesting block of five games coming up with three difficult looking away games.

You have to hope that now Cocu will take these two weeks to settle on a side. Now Bogle and Holmes are fit and Davies, Shinnie, Paterson and Martin have got a look-in, Cocu at least can see that he has options, something to work with. I just hope he can be swift and decisive, so we can come back and hit the ground running, and build up a real head of steam.

I don’t feel like we should write this team off. For what many consider to have been a poor start to the season, we are still only five points off the top six and those mighty all-conquering beacons of fair play, Leeds United.

There’s life in this season yet.

Shinnie was easily mom.

Malone was good, Lawrence was good. There were some boos from where i was (east stand upper) but i tried to drown them out with my whooping and hollering.

Thought we had a really good first half, way better than the slow and ponderous nonsense we've seen prior to the Brum game.

Second half we stood off a bit until midway through but i have to say, at no point did i see Luton scoring, they were just bang average.

Roos concerns me, doesn't inspire confidence in the back 4 and Clarke, had a good game but is so one footed it can be an issue.

Josefzoon did ok i thought but it's that final ball that always seems to be the wrong one.

All in all, a decent performance.

If Cocu is telling them to play from the back then why boo? They are trying to implement his instructions so should be encouraged. 

39 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

My point exactly!

(thought it was the Barnsley match ) 

But which utter garbage are you on about?

Only kidding pal. I don't pull anyone up for talking rubbish. I speak their language!

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Poor game.  Great result (And prediction league points for 2-0, so an added bonus!)

Shinnie good in general.  Excellent first half.  FloJo seems to be getting worse as each game comes his way... and that from a poster who rarely notices individual performances, and never normally singles out players for poor performances!  The rest were all between "a bit meh" and "Whatever"!

Poor show from the fans for booing the keep-ball... and for cheering the occasional long punt by Roos, despite 100% of them going straight to the oppo!  Fans are their own worst enemy at times.

Any ref who can allow a free kick for off-side to be taken in the oppo's half is akin to a decorator stepping off his step ladders and putting his foot straight into the paint tin.  I ain't a fan of slapstick.

Now... I've given a lot of stick to certain (alleged) Drunk drivers this past 10 days or so... and to the club too.  I didn't want either of them playing before the court date, but have come to appreciate that I have no say in the matter, as a mere "customer".  I wasn't particularly impressed by either "apology" either, be that content, or timing.  I wasn't overly convinced either were genuine and heartfelt.  Thus far, I have neither boo'd nor cheered their names, or their actions.
However, from my vantage point half way up the upper tier, in the NE corner, I probably had a better view than 98% of people in the stadium... of just how much that goal meant to TL.  He looked absolutely drained.  A mixture of true relief and guilt.  He was almost apologetic for scoring, never mind anything else!  As much as I detest his involvement in those events that night, I felt for the lad, if I'm honest.  It was quite emotional stood there, politely applauding his goal, and witnessing his reaction up close and personal.  It almost bought a tear, if truth be told.  I can tell all those doubters... He is remorseful.  He is full of regret.  He is riddled with guilt... Either that, or he is one hell of an actor!

He regained... in part at least... a little respect back from me today, strengthened by his determination to thank all stands after the final whistle, before being the last but one to go down the tunnel.  That in itself took guts, imo.  Seeing him today, I suspect he's lost a little of that cockiness now.  Personally, I'd say that was a good thing.

Onwards and upwards.  There's a long way to go yet... on the pitch, off the pitch, and in the law courts... but despite the to-ings and fro-ings of the last week and a half, today was a step forward... and I'm glad I had the balls to turn up and witness it!

UTR

If we only had 30,000 plus more supporters like yourself that realise the lad is only human after all and is human like ourselves and he needs all the support he can get at the moment instead of those that choose to turn against our own players who are well aware that they made mistakes, and also turn against our own coach, and turn against our own chairman when they choose to look for someone or something to blame. It's sometimes harder to help in situations like this than to simply easily criticise and blame.

I think some fans have forgotten we signed Shinnie when he was injured and just like Chris Martin he's been building up his training and match fitness and has taken his chance when given the opportunity, as coaches these days don't like bringing players in too early in case of long time injury and I suspect the same punters complaining about his exclusion previously, would have been most likely the same punters to criticise if he'd played a few weeks ago and pulled up with an injury........"what's Cocu doing, he's clearly not match fit etc"..........everything and some things are simply not as black & white as some supporters perceive from the outside.

Big respect to @Mucker1884 and to our young players that need a big helping hand at the moment from their supporters.

Anyway like Tom, Mason and Richard......I'm only human after all, so don't put your blame on me..........

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Poor game.  Great result (And prediction league points for 2-0, so an added bonus!)

Shinnie good in general.  Excellent first half.  FloJo seems to be getting worse as each game comes his way... and that from a poster who rarely notices individual performances, and never normally singles out players for poor performances!  The rest were all between "a bit meh" and "Whatever"!

Poor show from the fans for booing the keep-ball... and for cheering the occasional long punt by Roos, despite 100% of them going straight to the oppo!  Fans are their own worst enemy at times.

Any ref who can allow a free kick for off-side to be taken in the oppo's half is akin to a decorator stepping off his step ladders and putting his foot straight into the paint tin.  I ain't a fan of slapstick.

Now... I've given a lot of stick to certain (alleged) Drunk drivers this past 10 days or so... and to the club too.  I didn't want either of them playing before the court date, but have come to appreciate that I have no say in the matter, as a mere "customer".  I wasn't particularly impressed by either "apology" either, be that content, or timing.  I wasn't overly convinced either were genuine and heartfelt.  Thus far, I have neither boo'd nor cheered their names, or their actions.
However, from my vantage point half way up the upper tier, in the NE corner, I probably had a better view than 98% of people in the stadium... of just how much that goal meant to TL.  He looked absolutely drained.  A mixture of true relief and guilt.  He was almost apologetic for scoring, never mind anything else!  As much as I detest his involvement in those events that night, I felt for the lad, if I'm honest.  It was quite emotional stood there, politely applauding his goal, and witnessing his reaction up close and personal.  It almost bought a tear, if truth be told.  I can tell all those doubters... He is remorseful.  He is full of regret.  He is riddled with guilt... Either that, or he is one hell of an actor!

He regained... in part at least... a little respect back from me today, strengthened by his determination to thank all stands after the final whistle, before being the last but one to go down the tunnel.  That in itself took guts, imo.  Seeing him today, I suspect he's lost a little of that cockiness now.  Personally, I'd say that was a good thing.

Onwards and upwards.  There's a long way to go yet... on the pitch, off the pitch, and in the law courts... but despite the to-ings and fro-ings of the last week and a half, today was a step forward... and I'm glad I had the balls to turn up and witness it!

UTR

You need to read up on the new rules that came in last season. Free kicks for offside now allowed in the other half.

Thankfully, a ref, two lines, an assistant ref and myself new the rules. 90% of the crowd didn't.

46 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

He saw Keogh had an ACL and thought it mean anterior cranial lobotomy so was rightly worried about his fate.

Ironically, I think a minority of Derby fans have self-administered anterior cranial lobotomy's with the way they're reacting.

My strict preference is a bottle in front of me over a frontal lobotomy. 

Thought Bielik had a good game today. He looked far more comfortable playing in the space in front of the back four, now Huddlestone is not there getting in the way.

He with MOM Shinnie alongside him gave us a more solid midfield, than we have had so far this season. Just need to find a more creative player to slot in beside them and I think we will have a midfield unit that will do well for us. 

3 hours ago, ramtique said:

Glad someone else is honest and brave enough to say how they see it! Prepare to be shot down and insulted though! 

I know what you and @Ellafella allude to and there is truth in it, but being a positive sort of bloke I think we need to put some perspective on it.

Cocu really is making a dinner from what is in the store cupboard. Injuries, illness, soap opera scandals and all the rest.

no we weren’t convincing winners. We sat ridiculously deep for a home team. Martin is a good footballer but isn’t going to terrify defenders. We have a raft of youngish players adapting to new style and management. We are short of a killer or two but getting it right takes time. 

Right now we look like a mid table team but I sense that in this league it doesn’t take much to shift the balance. 

Shinnie deserves his MOTM. Got stuck in. I couldn’t believe that Counter (set up by Pats) it looked to me like Martin and Flo could decide which one of them should put the ball in the net they were so busy setting each other up that neither of them had the drive to take the responsibility. 

Roos had more of the ball than anyone .. barmy 

But Luton had one shot on target and one sitter blasted over the bar. 

It isn’t good, it isn’t pretty yet but i’m Not passing judgment until we are quite a few more games in with all present and correct. A last 30 with Waggy and Marriott might well have cut them to bits 

23 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

At this stage, it’s all about setting the platform. You can’t really worry too much about performances in October. Games like today’s are ones you simply have to win by hook or crook (or even in this case, luck).

9 points from 15 and five unbeaten is a steady return when you consider where we were after the last international break.

Of course it is tinged with disappointment that it could and should have been more. But some may argue it could and should have been less - so what can you do?

Another interesting block of five games coming up with three difficult looking away games.

You have to hope that now Cocu will take these two weeks to settle on a side. Now Bogle and Holmes are fit and Davies, Shinnie, Paterson and Martin have got a look-in, Cocu at least can see that he has options, something to work with. I just hope he can be swift and decisive, so we can come back and hit the ground running, and build up a real head of steam.

I don’t feel like we should write this team off. For what many consider to have been a poor start to the season, we are still only five points off the top six and those mighty all-conquering beacons of fair play, Leeds United.

There’s life in this season yet.

Out of interest, is there any point in the season when we do worry about performances or is it always results?

The attacking prowess of Derby is pathetic and it's hard to get motivated by what's on the pitch currently.

On seeing the line up I joked on here about no goals, and it took a comical OG and a bad cross to score today.

We desperately need better ideas and creativity.

Plus points:

- Shinnie and a left footer to balance out Bielik

- Both full backs getting forward on the same attacks at times

- Having Bogle back

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

You need to read up on the new rules that came in last season. Free kicks for offside now allowed in the other half.

Thankfully, a ref, two lines, an assistant ref and myself new the rules. 90% of the crowd didn't.

Isn't it now where the offside player touches the ball, rather than where he was offside?

This is pure personal opinion, but from what I hear this is the Luton GK’s 4th howler this season. He is a club record signing, Croatia’s goalie and lives in a hotel near Luton airport. 

I have a lot of conspiracy theories going through my mind at the moment, regardless of these, it just doesn’t seem right somehow. Maybe I am just cynical but Thoughts anyone ? 

6 minutes ago, jono said:

This is pure personal opinion, but from what I hear this is the Luton GK’s 4th howler this season. He is a club record signing, Croatia’s goalie and lives in a hotel near Luton airport. 

I have a lot of conspiracy theories going through my mind at the moment, regardless of these, it just doesn’t seem right somehow. Maybe I am just cynical but Thoughts anyone ? 

What are your theories?

21 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Isn't it now where the offside player touches the ball, rather than where he was offside?

Becomes active is the more technical term. Most of the time they wait until the ball is touched which infuriates the hell out of fans.

28 minutes ago, jono said:

I know what you and @Ellafella allude to and there is truth in it, but being a positive sort of bloke I think we need to put some perspective on it.

Cocu really is making a dinner from what is in the store cupboard. Injuries, illness, soap opera scandals and all the rest.

no we weren’t convincing winners. We sat ridiculously deep for a home team. Martin is a good footballer but isn’t going to terrify defenders. We have a raft of youngish players adapting to new style and management. We are short of a killer or two but getting it right takes time. 

Right now we look like a mid table team but I sense that in this league it doesn’t take much to shift the balance. 

Shinnie deserves his MOTM. Got stuck in. I couldn’t believe that Counter (set up by Pats) it looked to me like Martin and Flo could decide which one of them should put the ball in the net they were so busy setting each other up that neither of them had the drive to take the responsibility. 

Roos had more of the ball than anyone .. barmy 

But Luton had one shot on target and one sitter blasted over the bar. 

It isn’t good, it isn’t pretty yet but i’m Not passing judgment until we are quite a few more games in with all present and correct. A last 30 with Waggy and Marriott might well have cut them to bits 

I think Martin missed Holmes today. Holmes and Pato compliment Chrissy very well, alternatively Waggy. Chris seemed too generous to flo today

27 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Out of interest, is there any point in the season when we do worry about performances or is it always results?

The attacking prowess of Derby is pathetic and it's hard to get motivated by what's on the pitch currently.

On seeing the line up I joked on here about no goals, and it took a comical OG and a bad cross to score today.

Plus points:

- Having Bogle back

Yes it has to be said that in the last 3 games, we played  against poor teams and made them look good. Agree, we are pretty lame in attack. Hope Shinnie gets more games and can consistently play like he did today. That would be a big plus to our average midfield. 

9 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Plus points:

- Having Bogle back

Of course, performances matter. Of course they do.

Have we had a strong, complete performance all season?

Probably not.

Meanwhile, Leeds have thrilled and delighted one and many - played us, Forest, Swansea, and countless other teams off the park - and only have five more points to show for their superior football.

In this league you have to strike a balance.

I think this period for us is all about recovering from a poor pre season and a destabilising and luckless 3-4 months, and simply putting points on the board.

Personally I would imagine today’s version of Derby will be a different proposition in December and in February. Cocu doesn’t even know his best eleven yet. Bilic, Samouchi and Bielsa probably knew theirs in August.

Let’s see us have a spell of 8-10 games with largely the same XI before we get too hung up on performances. No-one is suggesting they have been great.

But if we are going to take the hopeful view, would you rather have performance levels peak in October or for us to improve over the course of the season?

Archived