Luton Town (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

One was Ashley Williams when I celebrated with an elbow to the missus' nose. 

She moaned for ages about it but she didn't understand how badly we needed something to cheer about

I forgot about that one as well ?

Rob Green let one under his foot, into the south stand goal, the pass was from almost the same place, when he played for Norwich. 

Leicester, with guilty parties future Derby legends Andy King and Chris Weale. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Let's not get carried away with Shinnies performance today. I remember some folk saying that Dowell was a suitable replacement for Mount after the Burton friendly.  Look how that turned out. 

Dowell might be a lot better with a proper central midfielder next to him - ie Shinnie 

1 minute ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Thought everyone played well first half except Josephmoon, Martin and Roos.

Second half the Derby players seem to run out of puff. I wonder if they are fit enough? Not enough running in training?

Not sure about fitness. 3 matches in 8 days and considering the week leading up to the first match... Davies, Martin, even Paterson have hardly played prior to those games. Match fitness takes a while.

It was poor. I can only remember two shots on target. The one from shinnie that was further out than he was given credit for on the radio, and Lawrence's mis-directed cross thing that beat the keeper at the near post.

We seem to want to play at walking pace. Not sure if thats deliberate or we are just bone idle. 

The tendency to sit deep, and pass backwards is rowettesque. Highlight of the day was seeing paulo wanchope. 

So totally forgettable that i even gave my programme away to a little kid from luton.

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Rob Green let one under his foot, into the south stand goal, the pass was from almost the same place, when he played for Norwich. 

Some of you lot have amazing recall of games and specific incidents. Always surprises me how much folk remember even from games half a lifetime ago. Most days I can't even remember what I had for breakfast or if I even bothered ?

10 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Let's not get carried away with Shinnies performance today. I remember some folk saying that Dowell was a suitable replacement for Mount after the Burton friendly.  Look how that turned out. 

Nobody’s getting carried away. He has a pretty good first half and got MOM . Can we not give him a pat on the back and say well done??

Poor game.  Great result (And prediction league points for 2-0, so an added bonus!)

Shinnie good in general.  Excellent first half.  FloJo seems to be getting worse as each game comes his way... and that from a poster who rarely notices individual performances, and never normally singles out players for poor performances!  The rest were all between "a bit meh" and "Whatever"!

Poor show from the fans for booing the keep-ball... and for cheering the occasional long punt by Roos, despite 100% of them going straight to the oppo!  Fans are their own worst enemy at times.

Any ref who can allow a free kick for off-side to be taken in the oppo's half is akin to a decorator stepping off his step ladders and putting his foot straight into the paint tin.  I ain't a fan of slapstick.

Now... I've given a lot of stick to certain (alleged) Drunk drivers this past 10 days or so... and to the club too.  I didn't want either of them playing before the court date, but have come to appreciate that I have no say in the matter, as a mere "customer".  I wasn't particularly impressed by either "apology" either, be that content, or timing.  I wasn't overly convinced either were genuine and heartfelt.  Thus far, I have neither boo'd nor cheered their names, or their actions.
However, from my vantage point half way up the upper tier, in the NE corner, I probably had a better view than 98% of people in the stadium... of just how much that goal meant to TL.  He looked absolutely drained.  A mixture of true relief and guilt.  He was almost apologetic for scoring, never mind anything else!  As much as I detest his involvement in those events that night, I felt for the lad, if I'm honest.  It was quite emotional stood there, politely applauding his goal, and witnessing his reaction up close and personal.  It almost bought a tear, if truth be told.  I can tell all those doubters... He is remorseful.  He is full of regret.  He is riddled with guilt... Either that, or he is one hell of an actor!

He regained... in part at least... a little respect back from me today, strengthened by his determination to thank all stands after the final whistle, before being the last but one to go down the tunnel.  That in itself took guts, imo.  Seeing him today, I suspect he's lost a little of that cockiness now.  Personally, I'd say that was a good thing.

Onwards and upwards.  There's a long way to go yet... on the pitch, off the pitch, and in the law courts... but despite the to-ings and fro-ings of the last week and a half, today was a step forward... and I'm glad I had the balls to turn up and witness it!

UTR

Overall I thought the performance was very disappointing , particularly in the second half  when we just parked the bus at 2-0 up and did precious little with the ball. I am pleased we won and got a clean sheet for once, but on the balance of play 1-1 would have been fair and we were very lucky to win by 2.  Shinnie was very good as already mentioned and seemed to have a bit of everything, not just tackling ability but also the ability to choose the right pass and play some nice diagonal passes to the wings.  I hope we play Holmes or Waghorn over Jozefoon next game as it is just not working out for him at Derby, other players don't seem to want to give him the ball even when he is open and he often  looks a peripheral and dejected figure.  Martin didn't have a good game but I didn't think he was awful, it will be interesting to see if he starts against Charlton or if Waghorn comes in, would probably be harsh to drop him after his recent games.

To say how random signing Bristol City's fourth choice winger was, Jamie Paterson's last few performances have been pleasantly surprising. Keep it up.

Shinnie very good, Bielik decent too until he tired and Bogle is a different class on the ball. 

More about results than performances at the moment so take it and move on, Luton will feel a tad hard done by but errors like the first goal cost games. On paper the last three games looked like good opportunities to pick up some much needed points and the manager and team have delivered. 

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

It was poor. I can only remember two shots on target. The one from shinnie that was further out than he was given credit for on the radio, and Lawrence's mis-directed cross thing that beat the keeper at the near post.

We seem to want to play at walking pace. Not sure if thats deliberate or we are just bone idle. 

The tendency to sit deep, and pass backwards is rowettesque. Highlight of the day was seeing paulo wanchope. 

So totally forgettable that i even gave my programme away to a little kid from luton.

It wasn’t poor..... it was perfectly adequate and routine.... Luton were set up so defensively that they were frightened to hit our final third..... felt routine to me.

Easy enough 

16 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Take your point @Blondest Goat but right now we need anything that we can hold onto! I don't think folk are going over the top anyway just delighted to see a player show real passion and fight for the club after the idiocy and lack of respect shown by others. It makes for a nice change at a time where we could all use a lift.

On the subject of Dowell, he is an immensely gifted player, I don't folk got that wrong, he just seems to have no stomach for a battle at all which leaves him nowhere to hide in a division as fierce as the Championship. I hope I'm wrong but that's how I see him now and I was very taken with him at first. 

27 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Give him a break was his first start ffs!!

Very disappointing game which would have finished 0-0 if they had a competent keeper. 

But the points are vital and if ed can stay in touch playing poorly that's okay by me for now. 

Thought Bogle looked unfit. 

Also thought Malone did okay. 

Clarke and Roos give me palpitations when they have the ball at their feet. Have rarely seen professional footballers look so uncomfortable. 

First half in control. Looked a different team in the second. Think that is Cocu’s cautious approach. 

Liked the fact that we had movement in midfield. Not slow and cumbersome (Huddlestone). Shinnie playing the style of a player that we have lacked. 

Malone and Roos scare me. 

Bogle played well for saying he had no cover in front of him and also no wife option when in possession. I really am not sure what Jozefzoon offers. He has had many chances and fails to impress. Must be up there with having the poorest stats in terms of goals, assists and successful crosses for a player in a ‘front 3’

Paterson again did well. Nice to see Norman come on but he looks like he’s being enjoying his time off!

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

It wasn’t poor..... it was perfectly adequate and routine.... Luton were set up so defensively that they were frightened to hit our final third..... felt routine to me.

Easy enough 

It was rubbish. And your like comes from the usual suspect who wasn't even there.

20 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Some of you lot have amazing recall of games and specific incidents. Always surprises me how much folk remember even from games half a lifetime ago. Most days I can't even remember what I had for breakfast or if I even bothered ?

The recall is almost rain man esq sometimes. I had a short post last week replied to as utter garbage as I’d not remembered something from 3-4 seasons ago probably. I’m the same with memory as you it seems. The reply didn’t really have to say my post was “utter garbage “ could’ve just pointed out I was wrong. We all thought we would never get old ???

43 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Or when we thought De Sart was going to be our new Thorne when he played well on his first game against WBA in the fa cup ?

Roos - worrying but kept clean sheet

Bogle - best technical player in starting team - getting back to fitness. looking forward to him after international break.

Malone. not as good as Lowe. 

pearce - head and volley cb

davies - head and volley cb, leader

shinnie - gritty, combative midfielder /- what we needed. 

bielik - great one day 

lawrence - great goal - great heart to battle on injured till the end - didnt get booked

paterson - the link up man - needed 

martin - tired and poor passing - but still with ability to hold ball up.

josefzoon. no. no confidence. 

subs - all too late

42 minutes ago, rynny said:

I remember the Leicester one but not the Green one. 

I forgot how horrible playing Leicester is. That was a rare highlight

6 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

The recall is almost rain man esq sometimes. I had a short post last week replied to as utter garbage as I’d not remembered something from 3-4 seasons ago probably. I’m the same with memory as you it seems. The reply didn’t really have to say my post was “utter garbage “ could’ve just pointed out I was wrong. We all thought we would never get old ???

Utter garbage. That wasn't last week it was the week before

Archived