Luton Town (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

5 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Means forest have more chance of going up 

I had seen that For*st were in 2nd place. 

But it didn't cross my mind that they could get promoted.

I cannot believe that you put that image in my mind. 

Our players shouldn't need any greater motivation than this - to make sure it's us in the top two! 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ken Tram said:

... so I made a table to compare. 

Derby have finished higher than For*st for the past 6 seasons.

In the past 23 seasons, Derby have finished higher for 18 of them. (1996-2019)

But then, For*est were unbelievably lucky for 19 seasons in a row.

Derby 1969-77 (8 seasons)

For*st 1953-69 (16 seasons)

Derby 1925-53 (28 seasons)

1892-1925 back-and-forth

1988-1892 There's only one Derby County!

Derby have finished higher than For*st for 66 seasons (41 in a higher division, and 25 when in the same division). 

For*st have been lucky for 54 seasons (32 when Derby were in the wrong division; and 22 when we must have had poor referees, because we were oon the same division). 

I haven't double checked my analysis - hope it's not wrong.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

You need to read up on the new rules that came in last season. Free kicks for offside now allowed in the other half.

Thankfully, a ref, two lines, an assistant ref and myself new the rules. 90% of the crowd didn't.

Seriously... I thought that was a wind up... but I succumbed, and googled it.  I had to read it twice to get my head around it, but yeah, I get it now!

The goal kick not leaving the area threw me first game, as I'd not read about that pre-season, but as nobody kicked up a stink, I immediately assumed "It must be a new rule".  That never even entered my head for today's off-side episode, as I didn't see how it could possibly be!

Apologies for not knowing the rules, and thanks for putting me right!  twit me!  

24 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

I had seen that For*st were in 2nd place. 

I cannot believe that you put that image in my mind. 

Our players shouldn't need any greater motivation than this - to make sure it's us in the top two! 

They will get top 6 easy 

2 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

If we only had 30,000 plus more supporters like yourself that realise the lad is only human after all and is human like ourselves and he needs all the support he can get at the moment instead of those that choose to turn against our own players who are well aware that they made mistakes, and also turn against our own coach, and turn against our own chairman when they choose to look for someone or something to blame. It's sometimes harder to help in situations like this than to simply easily criticise and blame.

I think some fans have forgotten we signed Shinnie when he was injured and just like Chris Martin he's been building up his training and match fitness and has taken his chance when given the opportunity, as coaches these days don't like bringing players in too early in case of long time injury and I suspect the same punters complaining about his exclusion previously, would have been most likely the same punters to criticise if he'd played a few weeks ago and pulled up with an injury........"what's Cocu doing, he's clearly not match fit etc"..........everything and some things are simply not as black & white as some supporters perceive from the outside.

Big respect to @Mucker1884 and to our young players that need a big helping hand at the moment from their supporters.

Anyway like Tom, Mason and Richard......I'm only human after all, so don't put your blame on me..........

Hands up here... I'm only just beginning to turn!
10 days ago, I didn't want these guys anywhere near the first team.  I was livid, with very little thought given to their feelings.  I was threatening matchday silence and not wearing Ram Logo's to the game.  I announced my shame of the club, and my embarrassment at my association with them.
Whilst I'm not ashamed to admit that, nor indeed the fact that I am slowly but surely starting "to change my mind", neither will I take any credit for my thoughts and comments today.

There are others on here that have remained staunchly in support of the individuals... and the club as a whole... throughout this whole sorry affair, and it may be those who deserve the respect.

Sincere thanks for your kind words... but I'd say they are not exactly warranted.  Cheers anyway!  ?  

I think considering the changes, the result is great. Davies, Martin, Shinnie, Bogle, Paterson. None I would say have got full match fitness, 4 of those had started the last few games. 3 games in 8 days. Big ask for fully fit players, let alone someone who has barely played for a season. There has been disruption right from pre season. Hopefully we can have a quiet few months and start to get a settled sight and see the performances grow.

Oh and anyone who sarcastically cheers Roos when he does catch a ball can feck off. No need for that. Bamfords. The lot of them.

Again late on the match day thread, did attempt to send summat In during the match but I’m not convinced anything actually sent- pride park 4g quality strikes again! Was a... strange game today really. We won with two proper fluke goals, can’t be anyone that can deny that. But I still think we deserved the 3 points, despite it being a poorer performance on the whole than the previous couple of matches. Think tbh the fact we got the 3 points reflects poorer on Luton than it reflects well on us, but we weren’t particulary “lucky” to get the result, we were still the better team on the balance of play. That was, however, mainly down to the quality of our defending (unbelievably!) which led to a very rare clean sheet. Much of that was to do with the quality of Bielik and Shinnie shielding the back line superbly, particularly the latter who had a stunning game. 

Cant gloss over some of our poor play in possession mind. We did that thing again where we score early and drop off too deep, it’s cost us many times this season, and we’re lucky to have got away with it today, especially in the second half. I don’t know whether it comes from the coaching staff or what, but the negative attitude has to change- we have to keep going and be more relentless! Gave the ball away far too often too cheaply in that second half especially, poor decision making caused a lot of attacking moves to break down and bring more pressure on the defence- Martin the prime cause. Far from as fluid as previous games, but things weren’t helped by cocus changes, it ruined the attacking balance. Need to return to the attacking setup we had previously after the break imo. Waghorn wasn’t great the other night, but at least he’s involved unlike josefzoon. Think Martin especially and Paterson missed having Holmes in there too, though that Was enforced by illness in fairness. Another thing that really needs working on still is our passing out the back, it really is our Achilles heel in terms of both causing problems defensively and stopping attacking moves starting. And it’s all mainly to do with players dwelling on the ball too long, especially the GK, and inviting unneeded pressure. Just show a bit more awareness, think about the pass BEFORE you get the ball, and move it on quickly. Really need to work on that. 

Definitely need improved performances after the break if we’re gonna beat tougher Opponents, we’ve got the two weeks to work on things now so let’s hope we do- Cocu certainly needs to show some improvement in that regard to keep support as it hasn’t been great so far. Luckily Luton were poor today and we got the result, which with our form, is what really mattered above all else. Ratings for me:

Roos 6-  Flappy as always, still desperately need better, but at least no major ricks- unlike some goalies?

Bogle 6- Poorer on the ball than normal, probably fitness related, but still another assist

Davies 7- Strong defensively, struggled passing at times

Clarke 7- Same as Davies, which is much better from him

Malone 7- Standard Malone, good going forward, fast asleep in defence at times

Bielik 8- So much better in midfield, battled well and played some decent passes too

Shinnie 9 MOM- Utterly brilliant performance, so much desire, brilliant breaking up play- fully won a spot in the team imo

Josefzoon 5- Anonymous as per

Paterson 7- Not quote as good as previous games, but still played some nice passes which were wasted by teammates, and battled well

Lawrence 6- Some nice touches, but far too greedy at times as usual, overplaying

Martin 3- Awful, every touch went to a Luton player. Looked knackered and probably should’ve been rested

Subs:

Waghorn 6- Battled well and played one sublime pass

Holmes and Wisdom N/A- not enough time

Good to be back in the South stand today, just caught up with the match thread and either I’m going a little deaf or the atmosphere wasn’t as bad as some are suggesting. 

Also the same 2pm mini meltdowns, I think at this stage I would miss them if they disappeared. Listening to Cocu on the way home, Holmes was ill after the last game which is why he didn’t start today so there you go.

I wasn’t in the ground when the teams were read out but Lawrence goal was celebrated just like any other goal, when his name was announced as the goal scorer there was a very very very small number of boo’s which were pretty half hearted and drowned out as others around me clapped and cheered a little louder to drown them out.

His chant never really caught on, but that’s to be expected, still early days but the humility shown following his goal was pleasing and as others have pointed out looks to be a sign of genuine remorse which is what you want to see.

If anything I thought Roos took more stick today with the ironic cheers which were far far more vocal and felt like they came from around the full stadium, will do his confidence a world of good. I understand the frustration with his handling, but giving him the same treatment as Sluga following his howler, have a word.

I’m still trying to figure out if the guy to our left was also being ironic in lambasting Keogh several times, I made eye contact in bewilderment with a couple of fans who were equally confused.

It wasn’t one player being confused with, but general “Keogh I thought you was the captain, sort this out”, “Come on Keogh you useless bar steward”. Very very weird.

As for the rest of the game, it was same old, despite winning and being fairly comfortable the minute the ball is passed back audible groans and moans to get it forward, not booing from what I heard which is nothing new so not sure why it’s being talked about so much today unless it hasn’t been as bad recently. 

Was it a game to tell the grandkids about? No, but we got the job done thanks to the 2 bizarre goals and to be honest Luton offered very little until Izzy Brown came on, even then we wasn’t troubled that much given the quality around him to threaten the 3 points, might have been a different result had he been on the pitch longer and been able to dictate things.

Thought we created a few decent chances today despite the 2 shots on target stat, Paterson with a great ball into Jozefzoon who couldn’t control and Martin who as a goalscorer had my head in hands when he didn’t take a shot in a great position choosing to pass. 

To be honest he looked off it all day which was slightly disappointing having been pleasantly surprised with his “comeback”, was hoping to see a vintage Chris Martin performance but wasn’t to be today. 

Proved me wrong fighting his way back into the team and I’m sure a couple of weeks off will do him a world of good, been a while since he’s had regular football. 

Finally I know I’m late to the party with this, but I love the posters behind the back of the South Stand which were put up in the summer, first opportunity I have had to see them with my own eyes. 

Make a great wallpaper for your devices, anyone wants to use the pic I got today here you go...

D96387FD-AFDE-41D1-A461-AC5129140D89.jpeg

Well today game was improvement in one way in first half we got a slice of luck that we been lacking in recent weeks but we had lot bad press that seems divding fans base. But our pressing game led luton own goal that there defander went pass back to the keeper but he put way to much pace on the ball and stright into own net.

But we should have put it out of sight by half time. We created a number of good chance with martin linking up play forward areas we looked dangous but zoon needs look up sometimes see if someone else betrer postion to score but also he needs keep eye on the ball. Our defance was solid at times but they need to work man on marking sometimes by blocking oppersition view or block there path by making less easy for teams move through us. But now onto the keeper roos sometimes you need work on catching the ball in the air instead of punching the ball out but times you need too. You have good passing skills but at times nearly cost us. But maybe wheb you can pick ball up and get near attacking players but I get trying get ball forwards quicker.

But on the whole performance was much improved from barnsley and managed to get 7 point of 9 so this must be used bulding from and keep trying improve and move up the table.

And for tom Lawrence keep it up and make up for what happened but by scoring a good but you also had a good performance today well done.

Oh and Shinnie, exactly the performance you want to see from a player that has had to wait a long time for his opportunity. 

New club, to see the manager that signed you leave having moved your family hundreds of miles south must be a little disheartening, but really took his chance today and as others have rightly said it’s one game, let’s not get carried away but it was definitely a pleasing performance, one that should, dare I say soften the blow, of losing Huddlestone who sounds like he will be out for a while. 

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/10/cocu-happy-with-victory-and-clean-sheet-against-hatters

After hearing his first couple of interviews when he initially joined the club, I said that Cocu is a very dry man. It was said in a light-hearted way, but I meant it really.

However, after seeing more of him, I’ve come to the conclusion that I was wrong. He might not be as charismatic as Lampard, and he might not crack jokes like Rowett, but he does come to life in a subtle kind of way. His eyes light up quite frequently when he talks about something that he’s passionate about. See the interview above, where he says that he would claim that he shot if he was Lawrence.

I really like the bloke and he’s the perfect replacement for my desperation to see Keogh succeed. Please make substitutions earlier though?

The glint in his eye and the little smirk. 

Screenshot_20191006-013926.jpg

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Martin 3    Awful, every touch went to a Luton player. Looked knackered and probably should’ve been rested

A brief viewing of the highlights shows what tripe that is, and over 80% pass completion.

But I am sure you noticed nothing of interest happened in the final third once he went off

The view from East Stand row X of my first game of the season...

- Beer queues at half time are worse than ever, decided against having one.

- The crowd were very impatient. Several times a player would be on the ball and have no forward option so would pass backwards or even square and the crowd would groan. I don't know if these fans would rather the player simply booted the ball forward and gifted the opposition the ball back in those positions? The ironic cheers for Roos catching the ball were a bit much. He's not the best we've ever had in the sticks but that's just going to damage his confidence and make him even more unlikely to come out and claim crosses.

- General atmosphere was average for Pride Park. Block in South Stand nearest the away fans were making a noise, everyone else in the ground chilling and watching the game. Luton brought a decent number.

- Shinnie was man of the match, just about edging out their goalkeeper. Everyone else was 6/10, which was enough in this game.

- Luton were a poor side offensively - creating 1 chance all game.

- We created 1 chance all game and I think it was Josefzoon who fluffed it.

- I nevet felt uncomfortable when they had the ball. Consequently had no nerves, even at one-nil.

- It was a weird feeling when Lawrence scored. 

- A new goalkeeper, a centre midfielder and two new wingers would be my next shopping list to improve the first XI.

- Overall not a memorable game but a win is a win is a win. Luton will finish 17th - 23rd, we'll finish 10th.

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

..... We did that thing again where we score early and drop off too deep, it’s cost us many times this season, and we’re lucky to have got away with it today, especially in the second half. I don’t know whether it comes from the coaching staff or what, but the negative attitude has to change- we have to keep going and be more relentless! ................. And it’s all mainly to do with players dwelling on the ball too long, especially the GK, and inviting unneeded pressure. Just show a bit more awareness, think about the pass BEFORE you get the ball, and move it on quickly. Really need to work on that. 

Couldn't agree more.  Frustrates me to bu99ery and back, this approach.

Josefzoon 5- Anonymous as per

Martin 3- Awful, every touch went to a Luton player. Looked knackered and probably should’ve been rested

Sorry mate.  Can't have these scores.  Imho, Flo was by far and away the weaker of the 2.  Martin did look tired, granted, but I thought he shielded the ball well.  Loose in possession, yes, but you could say that for most of the team!  It almost appeared that players were looking for an alternative, more risky option rather than pass it to Flo at times. 

8 hours ago, BondJovi said:

I think considering the changes, the result is great. Davies, Martin, Shinnie, Bogle, Paterson. None I would say have got full match fitness, 4 of those had started the last few games. 3 games in 8 days. Big ask for fully fit players, let alone someone who has barely played for a season. There has been disruption right from pre season. Hopefully we can have a quiet few months and start to get a settled sight and see the performances grow.

Oh and anyone who sarcastically cheers Roos when he does catch a ball can feck off. No need for that. Bamfords. The lot of them.

Our fans are poison mate. Absolute poison.

The players must hate playing at home. Sometimes there isn't a pass forward, sometimes in football you have to go backwards to come forwards.

Our fans boo when we go backwards. It's shocking. I hate hearing it. 

13 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The players must hate playing at home. Sometimes there isn't a pass forward, sometimes in football you have to go backwards to come forwards.

I agree but my frustration is generally still the lack of movement in front which results in the safe play

35 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I wonder about this. As I haven't been to an away game for about 30 years, so I don't get to see other home crowds. Does it happen everywhere, or is it just Derby??

14 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Shinnie superb. Flo-jo stealing a living, worst player ever at Derby worse than Pickering, Beck, Sammon and Bennett. 

Yes it’s no exaggeration to say that we played with 10 men yesterday so it was a good result. For me it raises questions about the manager. I don’t get it at all. Before people ask who would you play, we have no one else blah blah. Anyone absolutely anyone would offer more than zoon. 

47 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

It’s becoming embarrassing near where I stand. Every slight mistake and they’re screaming and shouting, and it’s getting a lot of people wound up. 

We are watching championship football with championship footballers. The quality isn’t always going to be perfect. The sooner people realise that, the better.

Archived