Luton Town (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

This game wasn’t the best but we need to take the positives out of it, Shinnie showed what he can do, Roos decision making was better (but he still worries me) and we took 3 points and a clean sheet. We will play a lot better than this and lose.

feed up with some of the fans who boo and winge . Also to the *anke* that sits behind me in upper east, taking chips from my daughters boyfriend says a lot about you , it’s a good thing that I found out after the game. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

A brief viewing of the highlights shows what tripe that is, and over 80% pass completion.

But I am sure you noticed nothing of interest happened in the final third once he went off

It’s not utter tripe if you’re at the match, if you notice in the thread I’m far from the only one commenting it. His touch was well off, not having a go at him as he was still trying the right things, just one of those days. Pass completion can be a very misleading stat, it all depends on the flow of the game. Likewise why we didn’t attack so much in the last 10 minutes, we were 2-0 up so we’re always going to have the kitchen sink thrown at us.

28 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I wonder about this. As I haven't been to an away game for about 30 years, so I don't get to see other home crowds. Does it happen everywhere, or is it just Derby??

Middlesbrough.  We're turning into Middlesbrough, for goodness sake! We need to get a grip! 

i think a lot of the negative stuff is from the non season ticket holders. If you are going to charge £33 for a championship game ,£4.50 for a pint, and all the other high costs of following football nowadays, people want to see value for money and be entertained. I think apart  from a few fleeting moments entertainment is very low on the agenda at the moment.

28 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

It’s becoming embarrassing near where I stand. Every slight mistake and they’re screaming and shouting, and it’s getting a lot of people wound up. 

We are watching championship football with championship footballers. The quality isn’t always going to be perfect. The sooner people realise that, the better.

Absolutely couldn't agree more mate.

It's awful. Would sooner they don't bother coming.

8 hours ago, David said:

Good to be back in the South stand today, just caught up with the match thread and either I’m going a little deaf or the atmosphere wasn’t as bad as some are suggesting. 

Also the same 2pm mini meltdowns, I think at this stage I would miss them if they disappeared. Listening to Cocu on the way home, Holmes was ill after the last game which is why he didn’t start today so there you go.

I wasn’t in the ground when the teams were read out but Lawrence goal was celebrated just like any other goal, when his name was announced as the goal scorer there was a very very very small number of boo’s which were pretty half hearted and drowned out as others around me clapped and cheered a little louder to drown them out.

His chant never really caught on, but that’s to be expected, still early days but the humility shown following his goal was pleasing and as others have pointed out looks to be a sign of genuine remorse which is what you want to see.

If anything I thought Roos took more stick today with the ironic cheers which were far far more vocal and felt like they came from around the full stadium, will do his confidence a world of good. I understand the frustration with his handling, but giving him the same treatment as Sluga following his howler, have a word.

I’m still trying to figure out if the guy to our left was also being ironic in lambasting Keogh several times, I made eye contact in bewilderment with a couple of fans who were equally confused.

It wasn’t one player being confused with, but general “Keogh I thought you was the captain, sort this out”, “Come on Keogh you useless bar steward”. Very very weird.

As for the rest of the game, it was same old, despite winning and being fairly comfortable the minute the ball is passed back audible groans and moans to get it forward, not booing from what I heard which is nothing new so not sure why it’s being talked about so much today unless it hasn’t been as bad recently. 

Was it a game to tell the grandkids about? No, but we got the job done thanks to the 2 bizarre goals and to be honest Luton offered very little until Izzy Brown came on, even then we wasn’t troubled that much given the quality around him to threaten the 3 points, might have been a different result had he been on the pitch longer and been able to dictate things.

Thought we created a few decent chances today despite the 2 shots on target stat, Paterson with a great ball into Jozefzoon who couldn’t control and Martin who as a goalscorer had my head in hands when he didn’t take a shot in a great position choosing to pass. 

To be honest he looked off it all day which was slightly disappointing having been pleasantly surprised with his “comeback”, was hoping to see a vintage Chris Martin performance but wasn’t to be today. 

Proved me wrong fighting his way back into the team and I’m sure a couple of weeks off will do him a world of good, been a while since he’s had regular football. 

Finally I know I’m late to the party with this, but I love the posters behind the back of the South Stand which were put up in the summer, first opportunity I have had to see them with my own eyes. 

Make a great wallpaper for your devices, anyone wants to use the pic I got today here you go...

D96387FD-AFDE-41D1-A461-AC5129140D89.jpeg

I'm sorry, but I just CANNOT agree with that...

It's a rite of passage for a grandparent to tell their grandkids about the match!

OK, maybe they aren't listening.  And yeah... they might not look up from their phones whilst you are telling them, but egads man, you tell them anyway!  It's why grandkids were invented!
In fact... don't let them leave the table until you have finished!

They need to know... even if they don't care!  

8 minutes ago, superzak said:

i think a lot of the negative stuff is from the non season ticket holders. If you are going to charge £33 for a championship game ,£4.50 for a pint, and all the other high costs of following football nowadays, people want to see value for money and be entertained. I think apart  from a few fleeting moments entertainment is very low on the agenda at the moment.

I disagree with this. It was terrible around me in Upper West Stand, where most of the supporters look like they've been season ticket holders since the year dot. They are bloody awful up there.

8 hours ago, David said:

As for the rest of the game, it was same old, despite winning and being fairly comfortable the minute the ball is passed back audible groans and moans to get it forward, not booing from what I heard which is nothing new so not sure why it’s being talked about so much today unless it hasn’t been as bad recently. 

There was certainly plenty of booing that could be heard from the North Stand.

We are too deep, and we do spend too much time going backwards. 

There are numerous ocasions when we finally worked the ball into an advanced position, either to a full back or a winger, only for it to be immediately smacked straight back. No attempt to hold the ball or continue the attack or a win a throw or a corner. sometimes within two touches it was back with roos or the centre backs.  Of course the crowd got frustrated. 

Besides only two shots, we also won only one corner. 

8 hours ago, David said:

Good to be back in the South stand today, just caught up with the match thread and either I’m going a little deaf or the atmosphere wasn’t as bad as some are suggesting. 

Also the same 2pm mini meltdowns, I think at this stage I would miss them if they disappeared. Listening to Cocu on the way home, Holmes was ill after the last game which is why he didn’t start today so there you go.

I wasn’t in the ground when the teams were read out but Lawrence goal was celebrated just like any other goal, when his name was announced as the goal scorer there was a very very very small number of boo’s which were pretty half hearted and drowned out as others around me clapped and cheered a little louder to drown them out.

His chant never really caught on, but that’s to be expected, still early days but the humility shown following his goal was pleasing and as others have pointed out looks to be a sign of genuine remorse which is what you want to see.

If anything I thought Roos took more stick today with the ironic cheers which were far far more vocal and felt like they came from around the full stadium, will do his confidence a world of good. I understand the frustration with his handling, but giving him the same treatment as Sluga following his howler, have a word.

I’m still trying to figure out if the guy to our left was also being ironic in lambasting Keogh several times, I made eye contact in bewilderment with a couple of fans who were equally confused.

It wasn’t one player being confused with, but general “Keogh I thought you was the captain, sort this out”, “Come on Keogh you useless bar steward”. Very very weird.

Was it a game to tell the grandkids about? No, but we got the job done thanks to the 2 bizarre goals and to be honest Luton offered very little until Izzy Brown came on, even then we wasn’t troubled that much given the quality around him to threaten the 3 points, might have been a different result had he been on the pitch longer and been able to dictate things.

Thought we created a few decent chances today despite the 2 shots on target stat, Paterson with a great ball into Jozefzoon who couldn’t control and Martin who as a goalscorer had my head in hands when he didn’t take a shot in a great position choosing to pass. 

To be honest he looked off it all day which was slightly disappointing having been pleasantly surprised with his “comeback”, was hoping to see a vintage Chris Martin performance but wasn’t to be today. 

Proved me wrong fighting his way back into the team and I’m sure a couple of weeks off will do him a world of good, been a while since he’s had regular football. 

Finally I know I’m late to the party with this, but I love the posters behind the back of the South Stand which were put up in the summer, first opportunity I have had to see them with my own eyes. 

Make a great wallpaper for your devices, anyone wants to use the pic I got today here you go...

D96387FD-AFDE-41D1-A461-AC5129140D89.jpeg

I love the posters; concourses really do need a personal touch.

re: your match report @David, your glass is definitely half-full whereas mine is half-empty. Hopefully, the team is coming together and will start to be more fluid and entertaining. 

18 minutes ago, superzak said:

Sorry mate, total rubbish.

Where i try to sit, in the East stand, the moaning Always comes from the middle to older male regulars,  all season ticket holders.

Me and the  missus, non season ticket holders (we've only lived here 6 months but a fan for 40 years) always clap, always encourage.

Then there's the old boy i was next to yesterday, season ticket holder, can see what Cocu is trying to do and was encouraging for the most part.

The problem is stupid people.

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

There was certainly plenty of booing that could be heard from the North Stand.

For the "keep ball"?

Yes, I agree.  I heard a little proper booing, and lots of moans and groans.  More so than normal... both in volume and aggression, I'd say!
I could not believe my ears when it went back to Roos (after 2 or 3 "triangles" of passing around in our back third), and he finally punted it long and forward, receiving loud cheers... just as an oppo defender brought it under control and passed to a team mate!  Possession lost!  Idiots!

13 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

there's the old boy i was next to yesterday, season ticket holder, can see what Cocu is trying to do and was encouraging for the most part.

Ok......What is Cocu trying do? 

22 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Ok......What is Cocu trying do? 

Trying to work with what he’s got, being patient and trying to get results in anyway possible.

I think it’s a sad indictment of fans who “want to be entertained” and quite happily see short term time and again..... we are a championship club that’s had let’s face it, a hard pre season, injuries to key players and off field antics (yes that was bad).

The man doesn’t wave his hands and go nuts on the touchline, nor does he have a witty line. The man is a consummate professional trying to implant his ideas and beliefs on the club..... it will take time, they’ll be many other games like yesterday where we just do enough. 

Don’t mind a difference of opinion one bit, but I’d say with the hand Cocu has been dealt so far.... he’s doing pretty well for me 

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Trying to work with what he’s got, being patient and trying to get results in anyway possible.

I think it’s a sad indictment of fans who “want to be entertained” and quite happily see short term time and again..... we are a championship club that’s had let’s face it, a hard pre season, injuries to key players and off field antics (yes that was bad).

The man doesn’t wave his hands and go nuts on the touchline, nor does he have a witty line. The man is a consummate professional trying to implant his ideas and beliefs on the club..... it will take time, they’ll be many other games like yesterday where we just do enough. 

Don’t mind a difference of opinion one bit, but I’d say with the hand Cocu has been dealt so far.... he’s doing pretty well for me 

Of course he is having to work with what he's got. And that is pretty limited in places. 

but what is he trying to do tactically with what he's got?

Archived