Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

OK all of you in the hang 'em, shoot 'em, flog 'em and sack 'em brigade, hands up all of you who in your early to mid 20's didn't ever do anything stupid or even very stupid, whether you got caught or not.  Nah, not many.

Yup, done stupid things in my 20’s that make me shudder today as a more mature man but I never had the luxury of an organisation like the PFA holding seminars advising me how to conduct myself and reminding me of my responsibilities, both of these clowns will have been forced to attend such courses so I’m not buying any defence for drink driving, there is no defence for it and I hope somebody tears them off a strip in front of their colleagues.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Drink driving is abhorrent and shouldn't be tolerated from anyone, however there is a range IMO between slap on the wrist and sacking. A slap on the wrist is someone who is very much in control of the car, despite being over the limit. Unfortunately, looking at the picture, it looks like the latter. If it proves to be the case, we should look to cut both players - it would just have a HUGE impact on our FFP so the likelihood is that we wouldn't be able to replace them this season, perhaps not even next. 

It leaves us in a rough spot. 

It wouldnt be like us to get caught up in an FFP v Ethics quandary.

1 hour ago, superzak said:

The weather was terrible last night. They may have been following each other home and one of them misjudged a puddle taking the other one out. They may only have had a couple of pints (enough to  put you over the limit) which im sure the majority of us have done. The point being nobody on here knows the facts so we shouldnt be jumping to conclusions.

sorry officer i misjudged a puddle wrote off two cars and flattened a lamppost while driving at the correct speed after half a pint of shandy, can't see it myself but you never know.

"I'd love to see them both sacked"

Honestly don't know how to feel about reading this from some of our fans. Why would you want us to sack our own players?

Why would you want us to just get rid of a) a player we've spent good money on and has potential and b) a player with unquestioned love and passion for the shirt?

Yes, they have made mistakes. Yes they should and will be punished for this - but why are you actively keen to see them lose their jobs? And to see us lose players at a time when the club isn't in great shape?

Self-destructivism seems to be rife in this country at the minute and it's sad to see it weeping into the football world.

?

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Honestly don't know how to feel about reading this from some of our fans. Why would you want us to sack our own players?

Why would you want us to just get rid of a) a player we've spent good money on and has potential and b) a player with unquestioned love and passion for the shirt?

Yes, they have made mistakes. Yes they should and will be punished for this - but why are you actively keen to see them lose their jobs? And to see us lose players at a time when the club isn't in great shape?

Self-destructivism seems to be rife in this country at the minute and it's sad to see it weeping into the football world.

?

I think your in the wrong thread this is about Lawrence and Bennett ? 

Hmmmmmm tough call this one. 

We don't know the details so it's hard to comment on how far over the limit they were, etc. 

However they put themselves in a position where they could be caught instead of getting a taxi which is pocket change for these guys. On the info we have at the moment it looks like they've made a stupid and reckless mistake. 

I think the club will probably fine them the max allowable (two weeks?????) and maybe suspend them for a few days. 

They're just damn well lucky they didn't hurt anyone else or themselves!

2 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

It's embarrasing for them more than anything. 

As a supporter you can decide whether you support the player or not. We all make mistakes, take a look at Rooney. He's made a lot of mistakes in his life but the biggest majority of us will support him when he puts a Derby shirt on.

Anybody who drives will have been close to the limit or over at some point whilst driving but got behind a wheel. Those that say they haven't will probably be lying. 

I agree with all your comments, my only worry being that they are very fortunate people in respect of the remuneration and life style they enjoy and consequently have no need to do this other than they believe that they are above a law that effects all of us and not them!

In fairness my only reaction in honesty is how pathetic they both are.

8 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

OK all of you in the hang 'em, shoot 'em, flog 'em and sack 'em brigade, hands up all of you who in your early to mid 20's didn't ever do anything stupid or even very stupid, whether you got caught or not.  Nah, not many.

And hands up anyone who is a parent who has said to their child 'Now look dearest XXXXX, see that Mr Bennett/Mr Lawrence (fill in the name of any professional footballer), I want you to be just like them when you grow up.' Nah not many hands up there either.

They'll get the legal and club disciplinary books thrown at them in about four weeks time and rightly so but let's not pretend that either of them are role models to the general population or people unable to make mistakes just because they're quite good at kicking a football around.

I dont drink, but im also not a dumbass. I'm not out of my 20's yet, but i can quite confortably say i have never done something this monumentally braindead. I would like to think most people are also not drink driving just because they are in their 20s.

Your parents dont tell you who to use as role models. Kids make that decision by themselves and professional footballers for Derby county will be idolised by many young fans in Derbyshire.

The fact that we have people on here trying to defend drink driving in any form absolutely boggles the mind.

I think I’d prefer to see them helped. Yes they’ve done something stupid, dangerous and irresponsible. Most of us have at sometime.  You can’t sack people for being twits. There would be no one left working in any job. 

I hope they are punished and I hope they see their error for what it is.  It’s unprofessional, disrespectful to their employers and colleagues and mostly an utterly selfish act.

Wouldnt bother me if they didn’t play for us again but to suggest that they lose their job for it is being melodramatic and self righteous imo. 

They could have been "drunk" without actually being drunk. 

Different people have different levels of tolerance to alcohol, it could be a case of that the drink that these had put them over the drink driving limit without actually affecting their driving ability. Most people would have had a drink or two and still felt sober, it wouldn't affect your reflexes, judgement etc but you could still blow over the limit on a breathalyser. 

Let's just wait until all the facts come to light before we go hanging our own players. Then let the club deal with it in the way it deems fit. 

7 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Yup, done stupid things in my 20’s that make me shudder today as a more mature man but I never had the luxury of an organisation like the PFA holding seminars advising me how to conduct myself and reminding me of my responsibilities, both of these clowns will have been forced to attend such courses so I’m not buying any defence for drink driving, there is no defence for it and I hope somebody tears them off a strip in front of their colleagues.

I don't think I wrote anything that would amount to any defence of drink driving but just as you made stupid decisions in your youth (as did I) most likely knowing they were stupid, then so too did Tom and Mason last night. 

The law, the club and the rest of the dressing room, never mind their wives, families and the PFA will all have been tearing a strip off them today. They will get what's coming to them and have to deal with it for a long time yet 

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

They could have been "drunk" without actually being drunk. 

Different people have different levels of tolerance to alcohol, it could be a case of that the drink that these had put them over the drink driving limit without actually affecting their driving ability. Most people would have had a drink or two and still felt sober, it wouldn't affect your reflexes, judgement etc but you could still blow over the limit on a breathalyser. 

Let's just wait until all the facts come to light before we go hanging our own players. Then let the club deal with it in the way it deems fit. 

I was under the impression that ANY alcohol in your system affected your body? I think your sentence is one that I'd like to see facts to back up because to me it smacks of the 'I always drive better after a drink or two' brigade!

Couple of ricks. A crying shame that like many well paid ‘celebrities’ paying for a taxi seemed beyond their financial capabilities. I used to work with someone whose dad was killed by a drink driver when he was young. His views on drunk drivers were pretty straightforward and understandable. Certainly sharpens your mind to this issue. Whether they play for Derby, Leeds or Forest, I don’t care. They are ricks. 

6 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

I think your in the wrong thread this is about Lawrence and Bennett ? 

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

?

B a player with unquestioned love and passion for the shirt 

you forgot to add who is  league 2 standard but I suppose if he loves the shirt he could work in the laundery room if it keeps him away from the pitch ! 

38 minutes ago, cannable said:

Saunders was jailed for failing to give a breathalyser on top of being drunk whilst driving 

On the face of it their crime could be worse.  If you throw a dangerous driving element in too which is highly possible then they could get hit harder.

Archived