Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It is shocking and they need dealing with harshly, looking at the damage they could easily have killed themselves or others.

Bennett doing it is worse as hes supposed to be recovering from an Injury.

Do we know how much over they were? If they crashed into each other it is quite possible they may have been racing. 

Dean Saunders has been jailed (albeit out on appeal), so I think the club should suspend them both without pay until their trial is over and see what punishment is handed out.

If there is any sort of custodial sentence i would think that is enough to sack them then sue them for damages.

I don't see the relevance of how good they are as posted by some, the same rules should apply if its Tom Lawrence or any other player we have on our books we may or may not have heard of.

We can't say sack Lawrence because hes crap, but argue someone like Marriott should be kept if it happened.

The relevance is the level of hysteria being metered out due to what boils down to a prang.  If they'd caused harm to others, then yes, clap 'em in irons and tare up their contracts.  But the fact it's these two, who're, lets be fair, polorising characters everyone's going ape-dodo...  If it were Marriott or Holmes, they're wouldn't anywhere near this amount.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You're probably right but, even on a fairly straight road I suspect you don't necessarily need to be well over the limit to lose control of a powerful car (I don't know what they drive but I guess it's not a Nissan Micra or similar) if you're messing about or racing. Either way, total idiots (if found guilty).

Oh yeah, if you’re speeding as well then naturally you can lose control of a car even when sober- if you’re well over the speed limit. Cars in question are unsurprisingly range rovers, so it’s quite possible they were racing at speeds far above the 50 mph limit of that stretch of the A6. But the thing is, that’s no better than being even more over the limit imo. Either way up they’ve knowingly broken the law to a large degree, not just a slight mistake. Idiotic In either sense, and they should lose their jobs.

I don't expect them to lose their jobs but I certainly can't defend them or say that they wouldn't deserve it if they did.

It's important for the club to make that decision, not the fans. Who knows the level of remorse they honestly feel about it.

They are not the first nor will be the last plenty of more household names have been caught over the limit and/or  involved in road crashes.

Lots of over reactions on here in regards to what the club should do and this is not the first time this has happened at the club.....We need to let the law take its course before deciding on what course of action the club takes.

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

I don't expect them to lose their jobs but I certainly can't defend them or say that they wouldn't deserve it if they did.

It's important for the club to make that decision, not the fans. Who knows the level of remorse they honestly feel about it.

I think Mason slowed down to let Tom past but Tom once again refused to pass and so they collided

(I agree though. Whatever happens to them they can't complain but I'm happy to not be making that decision. We all make mistakes. They firstly should be grateful that nobody is hurt)

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Can kinda understand if someone’s just slightly over the limit, but to cause a crash like that on what is a pretty straight road, you’ve gotta be 2/3 times over the limit imo.

Is that your professional opinion based on investigating drink driving crashes purely by inspecting photographs in a newspaper?

It's just another implosion at Derby County.

Interesting that the Bogle offence went unnoticed on here as well.

I do hope a severe punishment by the club is issued but I suspect sacking them (unless jail time is given) is probably too harsh. I think half of us work for companies who would sack you and the other half have more lenient employees. The difference being though that if your companies name was bought into the public domain, then the company will look at it with less tolerance.

Either way - driving whilst over the limit (Which is certainly a more severe offence than speeding in my eyes) is just pure stupidity. Footballers are role models in a community and that carries a responsibility for them on behalf of their employer.

I will only be upset if the club chooses not to punish them.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is that your professional opinion based on investigating drink driving crashes purely by inspecting photographs in a newspaper?

It’s my opinion based on living in the area and having driven that road many times. It’s a fairly wide, well marked road, and is pretty straight at the point it looks like that photo was taken. To crash there in that way would take extreme speed, or a lot of alcohol imo. If you crash after two Pints on a road like that to that extent then you really can’t handle your alcohol.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

It's just another implosion at Derby County.

Interesting that the Bogle offence went unnoticed on here as well.

I do hope a severe punishment by the club is issued but I suspect sacking them (unless jail time is given) is probably too harsh. I think half of us work for companies who would sack you and the other half have more lenient employees. The difference being though that if your companies name was bought into the public domain, then the company will look at it with less tolerance.

Either way - driving whilst over the limit (Which is certainly a more severe offence than speeding in my eyes) is just pure stupidity. Footballers are role models in a community and that carries a responsibility for them on behalf of their employer.

I will only be upset if the club chooses not to punish them.

Why though.  Both actions involve a large metal objects being driven erratically, and in turn giving said metal object the potential to cause harm.  You're equally likely to cause harm in either circumstance, so why aren't up in arms about young Jayden? 

I'm not trying to have Bogle nicked/fined/shot, just playing devil's advocate.  You can't be more outraged with one... 

They won’t be sacked or anything to that extent but I wouldn’t even be disappointed if they were.

I know we probably wouldn’t be sacked for it, but my job doesn’t come with the responsibility of being a role model to thousands of kids. They are both dads as well. 

I absolutely despise drink drivers and hate that I’ll now be ‘supporting’ two of them on a weekend. 

Was a big fan of Bennett until this.

That's the other thing. It's easy to assume they were off their heads racing around Allestree

Now I'm not defending them because if they'd crashed into me with my daughters in the car they would be getting hurt. 

But...

It's possible they've both been out and had a couple of drinks. The old "go on, one more. You'll be alright it's only around the corner". They have another cheeky one and set off home. Young lads, fast cars... one gives the other a challenge and boom! Immature, excitable young men make big mistake that will lead to the growing up. 

Have you seen the roads?

All you knobbers that speed up to intimidate somebody who's pulled out ahead. All you half halfwits that tailgate because you stupidly assume everyone else is a super awesome driver like you. All you guys that see the light change ahead and floor it. Do you make it every time? Nope. What about you bankers that weave in and out of traffic because you're busier than everyone else? 

Everybody knows an idiot but nobody is one. 

If they lose their jobs then so be it. They'll have to take it on the chin. But let's not pretend only rich young footballers are absolute Bamfords on the road. 

I mean if you own a BMW you are probably a Bamford on borrowed time. Sorry, it's just facts. You think you're Lewis Hamilton but you're not. You're the open road version of a keyboard warrior.

I hate stuff like this.

I get what people say about not being overly harsh; but it's such a complex issue. 

When two drunk people get behind the wheel and crash into each other, the only reason they've crushed a lamppost and not a person is chance. They had zero say; two idiots with no control driving in a residential area.
There's a limit to the amount of pay you can restrict them to before the PFA steps in, so if the plan is to keep them around and put them to community work - they're still making their absurd money - you think they'll care? And if your reason for doing that over getting rid of them is the fact they've only crushed a lamppost they're being rewarded for being lucky. 

At a minimum, they should be suspended without pay for months.

Archived