Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

Not surprised it was them two together, they seem close, however, I expected in a more friend way not total Bamford way. I know Lawrence has had a tough time, is he depressed? (acting recklessly and impulsively is definitely a symptom) but even then no excuse for putting lives at risk, call a taxi!

Didn't know they were both dads thought it was just Mason, not that that makes it any better though, there's no excuse for it.  

If I was Cocu or anyone in the Derby hierarchy, if i assume we keep them due to them being 'assets', I would get them straight in counselling to sort out their demons before they hurt anyone or themselves. Oh yeah and huge fine / dock of pay.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from the obviously despicable and dangerous behaviour, have to question their commitment to the club. You’d think they’d be working harder to help ensure a win on Saturday. Wonder if this attitude is indicative of the entire squad right now?

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s my opinion based on living in the area and having driven that road many times. It’s a fairly wide, well marked road, and is pretty straight at the point it looks like that photo was taken. To crash there in that way would take extreme speed, or a lot of alcohol imo. If you crash after two Pints on a road like that to that extent then you really can’t handle your alcohol.

I’m not going to defend them but it’s very difficult to say what caused it unless you know how much they were over the limit, what speed the police believe they were going and we’ve seen Bennett’s and Lawrence’s statements. We won’t know that info until the court case. Fully get it’s a fairly straight forward piece of road, but that also suggests they had to break quickly for some reason (again, that’s not a defence!)

—————

FWIW, I think we should punish them but also take them out of the first team and make sure both get the help needed to get them on the right track. Both should see this as ‘last chance saloon’ and hopefully give them the kick up the arse they both need in their careers. 

6 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Aside from the obviously despicable and dangerous behaviour, have to question their commitment to the club. You’d think they’d be working harder to help ensure a win on Saturday. Wonder if this attitude is indicative of the entire squad right now?

Yes, from a club perspective it is horrendous. They get paid top wages in our division and they are out on the piss on a weeknight, when we are in the bottom half. Sell those involved and insist on better.

10 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I have no issue with them enjoying themselves on the weekend but in the week?

I think they work weekends? They're supposed to anyway.

I can't imagine myself ever deciding to drive a car while drunk. What kind of person does that? I think I need to hear some seriously remorseful words from these nobheads.

34 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

They are not the first nor will be the last plenty of more household names have been caught over the limit and/or  involved in road crashes.

Lots of over reactions on here in regards to what the club should do and this is not the first time this has happened at the club.....We need to let the law take its course before deciding on what course of action the club takes.

Maybe the problem is the opposite to what you’re saying? It is an over reaction compared to Joe Public doing it but it shouldn’t be. 

Anyone Lawrence or Bennett or Joe Public should be made to go and visit families who have lost a loved one to some selfish **** *** who thought driving home after too much drink was wise. 

I await verified news, but if anyone can afford a taxi they can. If it’s true it’s both dangerous, irresponsible  and disgraceful. 

Its difficult to have the highest moral standards or even common sense when you are struggling or short of a bob or two. No excuse at all when you are in a privileged position. 

7 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

I think they work weekends? They're supposed to anyway.

I can't imagine myself ever deciding to drive a car while drunk. What kind of person does that? I think I need to hear some seriously remorseful words from these nobheads.

They ruin my weekends most weeks, I don't see why they should get to enjoy them?

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Would you expect to be sacked from your job if you were caught drink driving?

What they've done is awful and they should be punished for it. But let's try not go over-the-top here, as bad as what they have done is.

Yes here is a good chance I would get sacked if I got caught drunk driving.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

The relevance is the level of hysteria being metered out due to what boils down to a prang.  If they'd caused harm to others, then yes, clap 'em in irons and tare up their contracts.  But the fact it's these two, who're, lets be fair, polorising characters everyone's going ape-dodo...  If it were Marriott or Holmes, they're wouldn't anywhere near this amount.

Awful post - what if they had killed someone ? It’s only luck that they haven’t.

Imagine if someone who had lost a son or daughter to a drink driver read this ?

Does anyone know any facts regards the crash & drink driving? For all we know they could have slightly blown over the drink limit, could be half a pint over the limit. If they are 3 or 4 times then fair enough thats beyond ridiculous but until facts are out there how can people be calling for them to be sacked

As someone has said the weather etc was poor so the crash could be weather related not drink related. Ive seen that a large group of the players were out for a meal so could easily be half a drink over the limit, easy to do at a meal.

Maybe lets just wait for facts before calling for their heads.

34 minutes ago, Mckram said:

They won’t be sacked or anything to that extent but I wouldn’t even be disappointed if they were.

I know we probably wouldn’t be sacked for it, but my job doesn’t come with the responsibility of being a role model to thousands of kids. They are both dads as well. 

I absolutely despise drink drivers and hate that I’ll now be ‘supporting’ two of them on a weekend. 

Was a big fan of Bennett until this.

Is Lawrence a dad?

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

What they've done is awful and they should be punished for it. But let's try not go over-the-top here, as bad as what they have done is.

If I was a stand up icon for a city - including the children in it - then I might expect to

39 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s my opinion based on living in the area and having driven that road many times. It’s a fairly wide, well marked road, and is pretty straight at the point it looks like that photo was taken. To crash there in that way would take extreme speed, or a lot of alcohol imo. If you crash after two Pints on a road like that to that extent then you really can’t handle your alcohol.

So where did the 2 to 3 times over the limit come from?

I would have thought speed would be the more likely factor to influence damage.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yes actually. I don't know about other industries, but most of the major construction companies would sack you if you were caught drink driving or you would mutually agree to part ways. It is happened several times and whilst I don't drink myself I can't say I disagree with the outcome.

It won't happen in this instance though. As long as the law and the club punish them severely though I won't mind if they aren't sacked. You have to be a special kind of stupid to drink drive especially when you are in such high profile influential positions as these idiots.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So where did the 2 to 3 times over the limit come from?

I would have thought speed would be the more likely factor to influence damage.

That’s my guess to how far over you’d have to be to crash that badly on that road. But yes I agree, I suspect it’s a case of drunk a driving and serious speeding. Which isn’t exactly any better 

Archived