Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

17 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

And if you believe everything you hear Didn't he steal a watch or something ??

He was arrested/detained/accused of it.  A bejewelled bracelet I believe.  In the run up to that iconic game v Brazil in the 1970 WC.  Rumour has it that there was "a third man involved" (Fellow England player) and rumour also has it that Moore has taken the third man's identity to his grave.

... Or something like that... allegedly... apparently... etc, etc!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

He was arrested/detained/accused of it.  A bejewelled bracelet I believe.  In the run up to that iconic game v Brazil in the 1970 WC.  Rumour has it that there was "a third man involved" (Fellow England player) and rumour also has it that Moore has taken the third man's identity to his grave.

... Or something like that... allegedly... apparently... etc, etc!

He allegedly told Jeff Powell, but he certainly didn’t have it. He was looking at rings with bobby Charlton and it was alleged that a third person removed the bracelet from the unlocked cabinet. But Moore was apprehended and searched almost immediately. He was simply identified by the assistant as one of the players in the shop. I’m not sure that he even knew what happened tbh. 

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

In one way I wish Gibbo had brought it up, it needs to be talked about, not passed off but discussed. It doesn't want to become a taboo subject, the 'elephant in the room'!

#COYR

Hopefully Lawrence will discuss it in the future but for him the whole episode is probably still extremely raw and emotionally it may not be in his best interests to talk about at this particular time. For all we know he might be having or planning to have some counselling.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

He allegedly told Jeff Powell, but he certainly didn’t have it. He was looking at rings with bobby Charlton and it was alleged that a third person removed the bracelet from the unlocked cabinet. But Moore was apprehended and searched almost immediately. He was simply identified by the assistant as one of the players in the shop. I’m not sure that he even knew what happened tbh. 

He was cleared about 33 years after the event . Apparently is was PM Harold Wilson that got him released from prison 

On 03/11/2019 at 22:33, europia said:

Not sure if it's been clarified elsewhere. Just curious that Keogh was sacked, gross misconduct was cited. Were Bennett and Lawrence also deemed to have committed gross misconduct? 

On 03/11/2019 at 23:20, rammieib said:

Nope. Gross misconduct is having your contract terminated. You can't commit gross misconduct and still employed.

Well actually, gross misconduct is the accusation potentially leading to contract termination / dismissal, but not a forgone conclusion. In this case, Keogh, it was reported, would presumably still be employed, should he have accepted a pay cut. 

Observation:  It seems the club have been very selective in terms of what they would consider gross misconduct.  The acts of all three being of similar severity. Albeit the club looking after their financial assets above and beyond morality and fairness, is not unexpected, in any way. It's the world of pro football.....

7 hours ago, europia said:

Well actually, gross misconduct is the accusation potentially leading to contract termination / dismissal, but not a forgone conclusion. In this case, Keogh, it was reported, would presumably still be employed, should he have accepted a pay cut. 

Observation:  It seems the club have been very selective in terms of what they would consider gross misconduct.  The acts of all three being of similar severity. Albeit the club looking after their financial assets above and beyond morality and fairness, is not unexpected, in any way. It's the world of pro football.....

Many people are judging the decision assuming the charge relates to an isolated event, maybe it doesn’t 

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

Many people are judging the decision assuming the charge relates to an isolated event, maybe it doesn’t 

That's believable, but the club statement seemed to imply it was only the drink driving incident, had the club statement mentioned "in relation to a series of other incidents and behaviours against the clubs expected standards" or something like that it'd have certainly given it a different context.

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's believable, but the club statement seemed to imply it was only the drink driving incident, had the club statement mentioned "in relation to a series of other incidents and behaviours against the clubs expected standards" or something like that it'd have certainly given it a different context.

Has there been a club statement? I can only remember what was quoted as a statement in the DET.

7 hours ago, Spanish said:

Dont you think that the clubs attitude to Lawrence and Bennett might have been different if they had also had injuries frpm the accident that had put them out for a year?

7 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Dont you think that the clubs attitude to Lawrence and Bennett might have been different if they had also had injuries frpm the accident that had put them out for a year?

FWIW yes probably.  Possibly if they had received a custodial sentence and been unable to fulfill their contracts but who knows really.  I tend to think that the injury was the catalyst that may have brought other matters to the fore.  I think it is likely that we will never know given we are heading to a confidential compromise agreement

9 minutes ago, Spanish said:

FWIW yes probably.  Possibly if they had received a custodial sentence and been unable to fulfill their contracts but who knows really.  I tend to think that the injury was the catalyst that may have brought other matters to the fore.  I think it is likely that we will never know given we are heading to a confidential compromise agreement

Do we  supporters really need to know? So why bother spending  time putting forward conspiracy theories and rumours .its yesterdays news

32 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Has there been a club statement? I can only remember what was quoted as a statement in the DET.

Might have been DET I'm thinking of, but my recollection was it seemed to only relate to the drink driving situation and I'd have expected if there were other contributing factors to sacking Keogh they'd have made some reference and it'd not look as brutal from the club as it has.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Might have been DET I'm thinking of, but my recollection was it seemed to only relate to the drink driving situation and I'd have expected if there were other contributing factors to sacking Keogh they'd have made some reference and it'd not look as brutal from the club as it has.

Sorry please explain why brutal? the guy first of all got himself injured and put out of action for a year.Then declined the clubs offer of a reduction in salary,Thats not brutal its ludicrous on Keoghs part

17 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Sorry please explain why brutal? the guy first of all got himself injured and put out of action for a year.Then declined the clubs offer of a reduction in salary,Thats not brutal its ludicrous on Keoghs part

Poor word choice, more of the seems harsh in relation to 6 weeks fine and rehabilitation for the two who were driving, the injured passenger "gross misconduct" - if had been "gross misconduct and in consideration of other incidents were left with no choice" it'd look very different. I'm also still struggling with "gross misconduct meriting dismissal" and "new contract" both being viable - it's entirely to do with saving wages and basically nothing about the behaviour. Don't get me wrong, i understand it, doesn't mean I have to like it.

2 hours ago, KCG said:

God... is this topic still going ?

fail merry-go-round GIF

………………………………………………………………............................
LEST WE FORGET.
May the fallen rest in peace.
May those that return, have the fortune to live in peace.

15 hours ago, Spanish said:

Maybe it was maybe it wasn't.... at DCFC there often seems to be an 'untold side of the story' when p45's are dished out.

Archived