Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

7 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I dont drink, but im also not a dumbass. I'm not out of my 20's yet, but i can quite confortably say i have never done something this monumentally braindead. I would like to think most people are also not drink driving just because they are in their 20s.

Your parents dont tell you who to use as role models. Kids make that decision by themselves and professional footballers for Derby county will be idolised by many young fans in Derbyshire.

The fact that we have people on here trying to defend drink driving in any form absolutely boggles the mind.

I haven't seen one comment on here that amounts to any defence of drink driving

If you've gone through your teens and some of your 20's not having done something stupid then well done you. But you're a rarity.  I suspect that you don't have kids if you think that parents don't influence them

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

The relevance is the level of hysteria being metered out due to what boils down to a prang.  If they'd caused harm to others, then yes, clap 'em in irons and tare up their contracts.  But the fact it's these two, who're, lets be fair, polorising characters everyone's going ape-dodo...  If it were Marriott or Holmes, they're wouldn't anywhere near this amount.

I would feel the same regardless of the players.  I am a fan of both. Having seen images of the damage a prang is not what i would call it.

46 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Zero tolerance. Its pure luck that these numbnuts didn't kill anyone. If you have had anything to drink you shouldn't be going anywhere near a car. I know the alcoholics of thew world think its alright to have one or two and then get behind the wheel, but I completely disagree with this stupidity. You drink any amount of alcohol and you get a taxi - end of discussion.

It has nothing to do with which players it is - anyone who makes such a selfish decision that could end up hurting or killing someone will get rightfully pilloried by the entire fanbase. No idea why you think this reaction to drink driving is too much. Its alright lads you didn't kill someone this time, so all completely fine.

Didn’t say it was completely fine, and I didn’t say they should get away with it. I was merely pointing out that the punishment must fit the crime. At the end of the day they both crashed their cars. A hefty ban and fine, both from the courts and the club is sufficient. 

Those calling for contracts to be cancelled and potential custodial sentences (on Twitter ?) for this are overreacting. And basing their judgements, either consciously or unconsciously on the fact they’re two unpopular players. As I’ve said Bogle had just as much potential to cause an accident with his actions, but because he’s arguably our most important player, people are giving him a free pass...

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Perhaps I am just ignorant to the reality of how drink driving is dealt with in work places - have other footballers been sacked for this? 

I appreciate that being a footballer is not a 'normal' profession, and that they are indeed in the public eye, but whether or not they should, in matters of legality, be treated as anyone else should be, is surely a matter for debate?

Tony Adams England captain sent to prison mate. 

Both players have let us fans down, I feel personally let down (I know, get over youself).

But, both players have been targeted by our fans this year and I've messaged both them giving my support. I never received a response from either, as expected, but I still went out of my way to praise them.

Tom, he seems a bit of a pratt anyway so this doesnt surprise me, but he has burnt his bridges here for me, same with Bennett. We have stuck by him, even when deep down most of us know he is never going to be good enough week in week out.

This club is constantly surrounded by controversy, we need the bad eggs out.

58 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I’ve have personal experience of seeing the consequences of this kind of drink-driving up close and calling this ‘a prang’ is crass in the extreme.  It is absolutely unforgivable that two young men with the means more than most to get themselves home after a drink have seen fit to drive two high powered vehicles at speed along a public road whilst drunk. They are both an absolute disgrace and should have their contracts terminated - I don’t want morons like them representing my club.

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. I disagree and believe terminating their contracts is extreme

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was under the impression that ANY alcohol in your system affected your body? I think your sentence is one that I'd like to see facts to back up because to me it smacks of the 'I always drive better after a drink or two' brigade!

Like I said alcohol affects everyone in different ways. I have a friend that is drunk after 1 pint, for me I can drink too much before it affects me. If we were both to go out and I have 2 pints and he has 1, my driving would not be affected but his would, yet if we were to do a breathalyser test then I would fail and he would pass. Derby police were in the city centre over Xmas with breathalysers for people to blow into to see what their alcohol level was, my friend did it and was under, the police were gobsmacked. 

I certainly don't like you insinuating that I drink drive. 

1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

The irony is that both had been told to have more shots when training earlier in the day. " Come on Tom, one more Jàger for the road." Mason insisted.

As you know hitting the post doesn't count as on target.

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

They’ll be slammed publicly by us, fined however much we choose and made to look like the idiots they are, rightly so.

Would be extremely surprised if they were sacked and I think it would be a mistake for the good of the club as a whole.

As i said in a previous post I think it should be dependent on the outcome,  if as some are suggesting they were just over and it was nothing more than a minor bump then a ban, fine and they will be ok.

If,  as the damage to the car suggests, it was more than a minor bump then the outcome could be different. 

If there is any custodial sentence,  suspended or not i think they should be sacked.

I hope for their sakes it looks worse than it is.

I do think they should be suspended without pay until the hearing.

We are all speculating of course.

7 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I haven't seen one comment on here that amounts to any defence of drink driving

If you've gone through your teens and some of your 20's not having done something stupid then well done you. But you're a rarity.  I suspect that you don't have kids if you think that parents don't influence them

You started your original post by basically saying drink driving is alright because some other 20 year olds also do stupid things. You then proceed in your second and third paragraphs to say nobody uses these idiots as role models just because you say so, so again its fine for them to be drink driving. I'm sure you will reply saying "I NeVeR SaId ThOse ThIngs", but this is exactly how your post appears.

I'm sure you've never had any friends or relatives killed because of drink driving, but I certainly have - there is a very good reason why I don't drink myself - never have and never will, which I won't go into here. **** anyone who drink drives and **** anyone who things they shouldn't be getting the harshest possible sentence. 

17 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Didn’t say it was completely fine, and I didn’t say they should get away with it. I was merely pointing out that the punishment must fit the crime. At the end of the day they both crashed their cars. A hefty ban and fine, both from the courts and the club is sufficient. 

Those calling for contracts to be cancelled and potential custodial sentences (on Twitter ?) for this are overreacting. And basing their judgements, either consciously or unconsciously on the fact they’re two unpopular players. As I’ve said Bogle had just as much potential to cause an accident with his actions, but because he’s arguably our most important player, people are giving him a free pass...

What did bogle do? Ive obviously missed it.

The only thing is, what will get through to them? As we all know, this will all blow over and it's back to player liaison officers who sort everything for them, money cars and women. They feel untouchable because of their privileged position. Doubtful it will make them buck up their ideas as at the ages of 23 and 25 to do this in the first place is abysmal.

Harsh punishment first followed by welfare checks of their mental state. I'm really quite disappointed in both of them.

How would Mason feel if someone put his little girl in danger doing that? How does Lawrence feel knowing he put lives in danger, he of all people will know how precious life is recently yet he does this?  Disgusting behaviour, and if we see a snippet of 'errrs' and 'umms' in a press conference I'll be not very impressed as it will scream PR.

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

Like I said alcohol affects everyone in different ways. I have a friend that is drunk after 1 pint, for me I can drink too much before it affects me. If we were both to go out and I have 2 pints and he has 1, my driving would not be affected but his would, yet if we were to do a breathalyser test then I would fail and he would pass. Derby police were in the city centre over Xmas with breathalysers for people to blow into to see what their alcohol level was, my friend did it and was under, the police were gobsmacked. 

I certainly don't like you insinuating that I drink drive. 

You cannot prove this. "A 160-pound man that consumes two alcoholic beverages will experience some loss of judgment, decreased ability to rapidly track a moving target and reduced multitasking ability, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

UMH_C_DrunkDriving_Chart@1x-02.jpg

Archived