Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

Hugely disappointed by this, not only have they let themselves down but their families, teammates, the club and us the fans.

I’m sure both are well aware of how stupid they have been, even without the full facts there of what occurred that night there is absolutely no justification for drink driving without even getting into the question of should they be intoxicated at all during the week of a season they are paid very well to perform in.

Expect both will be punished by the club and courts, once that has taken place and if the club and Cocu believe they should be a part of the team it’s our duty as fans to get behind them and just be grateful that this foolish mistake hasn’t cost anyone their lives which it could quite easily have done.

This does not condone in anyway what they have done, but both should be allowed to continue their careers, calling for them to be sacked does not sit comfortably with me and can’t help but feel their popularity will effect some views on this. 

Again, this is all hugely disappointing and I hope both never find themselves in this situation ever again. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Varies quite a lot along that stretch, the picture looks quite close to allestree so 40 most likely, maybe even 30

Yeah i dont know,  if you are doing 30 and hit a lampost, then that much damage doesn't happen unless of course its made of paper.

Despise drink driving, given the devastation it can cause, yet in my younger single carefree days , I did many similar stupid daft things after a night on the pop.

Personally I think they should be fined the maximum allowed by the club and let’s the courts deal with it. 

One thing I would say though to all those who call for him to be sacked, I presume  you are against the signing of Rooney then, given his previous conviction?

If they were a lot over the limit or were racing, they will go down. If either has a previous conviction, he will go down. 

When Steve McClaren first talked about the 'Derby Way', it was all about everyone at the club acting with integrity. 

If the 'Derby Way' is still active in that sense, we've seen the last of them in Derby shirts.

I do think there is a bit of a booze culture around the club, which isn't helped when the manager treats the lads to a massive piss up for winning a semi final.

Certain other things we've seen and heard over the last few years seem to point in that direction too.

Maybe it's the same everywhere, and we don't notice other clubs incidents as we're not looking for it?

Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

I do think there is a bit of a booze culture around the club, which isn't helped when the manager treats the lads to a massive piss up for winning a semi final.

Certain other things we've seen and heard over the last few years seem to point in that direction too.

Maybe it's the same everywhere, and we don't notice other clubs incidents as we're not looking for it?

Other things?  I don't know what. And if you can't treat the lads to a drink when there  is a good gap until the next game when can you?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You cannot prove this. "A 160-pound man that consumes two alcoholic beverages will experience some loss of judgment, decreased ability to rapidly track a moving target and reduced multitasking ability, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

UMH_C_DrunkDriving_Chart@1x-02.jpg

So alcohol affects every single person exactly the same? 

You want me to prove how alcohol affects me? Tell you what come meet me before the match and buy me a couple of drinks and I'll show. 

No response to you insinuating that I drink drive? Any chance of an apology?

Just now, rynny said:

So alcohol affects every single person exactly the same? 

You want me to prove how alcohol affects me? Tell you what come meet me before the match and buy me a couple of drinks and I'll show. 

No response to you insinuating that I drink drive? Any chance of an apology?

None whatsoever as I did not insinuate that. I will state it - if you have a drink and then you drive you will be affected. It may not be enough to get you arrested but that is a different point. YOU stated that 'it wouldn't affect your reflexes, judgement etc' and that is not true.

54 minutes ago, rynny said:

Most people would have had a drink or two and still felt sober, it wouldn't affect your reflexes, judgement etc but you could still blow over the limit on a breathalyser. 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

"I'd love to see them both sacked"

Honestly don't know how to feel about reading this from some of our fans. Why would you want us to sack our own players?

Why would you want us to just get rid of a) a player we've spent good money on and has potential and b) a player with unquestioned love and passion for the shirt?

Yes, they have made mistakes. Yes they should and will be punished for this - but why are you actively keen to see them lose their jobs? And to see us lose players at a time when the club isn't in great shape?

Self-destructivism seems to be rife in this country at the minute and it's sad to see it weeping into the football world.

?

What potential does Tom Lawrence have? How long has he been here for? 3 years? He's done absolutely nothing. He's not of the age any more where you can say he has potential. He offers us absolutely nothing. 

Bennett has 8 bookings, 4 goals and 3 assists in his Derby career. But it's ok though cos he's got passion for the shirt. He's a terrible terrible footballer. 

It'll all come out what has happened.

I think they are both a complete disgrace. You know when you've had too much to drive. 

I'd happily never see either of them in a Derby shirt. 

Neither would be missed

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

What potential does Tom Lawrence have? How long has he been here for? 3 years? He's done absolutely nothing. He's not of the age any more where you can say he has potential. He offers us absolutely nothing. 

Bennett has 8 bookings, 4 goals and 3 assists in his Derby career. But it's ok though cos he's got passion for the shirt. He's a terrible terrible footballer. 

It'll all come out what has happened.

I think they are both a complete disgrace. You know when you've had too much to drive. 

I'd happily never see either of them in a Derby shirt. 

Neither would be missed

Its not a case of them being missed,  they should be handled like any player.

If that player had been Will Hughes at Derby and Derby feel lawrence should be sacked for this then the same should happen to Will Hughes or whomever.

Not suggesting Hughes drink and drive just using him, as a favourite as an example.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

None whatsoever as I did not insinuate that. I will state it - if you have a drink and then you drive you will be affected. It may not be enough to get you arrested but that is a different point. YOU stated that 'it wouldn't affect your reflexes, judgement etc' and that is not true.

So glad you know me and what affects alcohol has on me. Once again it affects every single person differently, and it takes more to affect me than the average person. 

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think your sentence is one that I'd like to see facts to back up because to me it smacks of the 'I always drive better after a drink or two' brigade!

So who is that aimed at if not me? 

Just now, rynny said:

So glad you know me and what affects alcohol has on me. Once again it affects every single person differently, and it takes more to affect me than the average person. 

So who is that aimed at if not me? 

But as I said it affects the body - that is the point you are trying to ignore. 

I'm not going to discuss this any more as you are unwilling to accept that any alcohol has an effect. 

My twin girls are the mascots for the Birmingham game this Saturday and so they both had to pick a favorite player to have a photo with etc..

One straight away chose Mason Bennett and the other chose (you guessed it) Tom...

Wow! ? So, if we have learned one thing guy's it's...

Don't ask them to ever be the bridesmaids at your wedding!

Hopefully by now they both will feel thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed by their behaviour and know that people will be judging them negatively and that they have lost any respect we may have had for them. They were fortunate that no one was injured and will have learnt a lesson.  After something like that your confidence is shaken and it is a huge learning curve. Yes the club should suspend both players at least until the court case and then they should take their punishment. In addition I think both players should do voluntary work with charity such as Headway where they will meet people who have acquired head injuries through RTA and other reasons. After that they should be allowed to continue their playing careers at Derby. 

55 minutes ago, GenBr said:

You started your original post by basically saying drink driving is alright because some other 20 year olds also do stupid things. You then proceed in your second and third paragraphs to say nobody uses these idiots as role models just because you say so, so again its fine for them to be drink driving. I'm sure you will reply saying "I NeVeR SaId ThOse ThIngs", but this is exactly how your post appears.

I'm sure you've never had any friends or relatives killed because of drink driving, but I certainly have - there is a very good reason why I don't drink myself - never have and never will, which I won't go into here. **** anyone who drink drives and **** anyone who things they shouldn't be getting the harshest possible sentence. 

I've re-read my post and it does not appear or actually say it is fine to drink drive, basically or otherwise. If you choose to interpret it as doing so then look to yourself

As we have never met I'm surprised you know anything at all about my friends and family and what may, or may not, have happened to them.

1 minute ago, Dappled Ram said:

Hopefully by now they both will feel thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed by their behaviour and know that people will be judging them negatively and that they have lost any respect we may have had for them. They were fortunate that no one was injured and will have learnt a lesson.  After something like that your confidence is shaken and it is a huge learning curve. Yes the club should suspend both players at least until the court case and then they should take their punishment. In addition I think both players should do voluntary work with charity such as Headway where they will meet people who have acquired head injuries through RTA and other reasons. After that they should be allowed to continue their playing careers at Derby. 

Agree with most of what you say. The last sentence i would personally just add depending on the outcome of the court appearance.

Archived