Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by David

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever the rights and wrongs of ‘sacking’ them, is it unlikely to happen because their registrations might be worth several million pounds (or not, depending on your views on their ability, of course)?  

Doesn’t cost most employers a bean to sack people who have broken the terms of their employment.  If these players have broken those terms, then could sacking them cost quite a lot of money... (but I guess only if anybody wants to buy them that is!)

So both Players who are by no means brilliant footballers have been caught causing an accident while under the influence of alcohol, as it was on a Tuesday surely there would of been training on Wednesday, total disregard for the club, fans, teammates and other members of public on the road. Harsh punishment needed. 

It is shocking and they need dealing with harshly, looking at the damage they could easily have killed themselves or others.

Bennett doing it is worse as hes supposed to be recovering from an Injury.

Do we know how much over they were? If they crashed into each other it is quite possible they may have been racing. 

Dean Saunders has been jailed (albeit out on appeal), so I think the club should suspend them both without pay until their trial is over and see what punishment is handed out.

If there is any sort of custodial sentence i would think that is enough to sack them then sue them for damages.

I don't see the relevance of how good they are as posted by some, the same rules should apply if its Tom Lawrence or any other player we have on our books we may or may not have heard of.

We can't say sack Lawrence because hes crap, but argue someone like Marriott should be kept if it happened.

12 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of ‘sacking’ them, is it unlikely to happen because their registrations might be worth several million pounds (or not, depending on your views on their ability, of course)?  

Doesn’t cost most employers a bean to sack people who have broken the terms of their employment.  If these players have broken those terms, then could sacking them cost quite a lot of money... (but I guess only if anybody wants to buy them that is!)

surely its gross misconduct mi owd. Just think all that money they earn and they carn't afford a taxi....There's really no excuse... 

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Absolutely agree with your sentiments and condemnation of these two idiots (if guilty of course - just my own disclaimer) , they should get everything that's coming to them but, your comment "just shows how thick some footballers are" sort of implies that it's only footballers that are stupid enough to drink and drive which, is clearly not the case. 

I would have no sympathy for them (assuming they're guilty again), or any one else, even if they receives a prison sentence.

Didn’t mean it in that sense, clearly people in all walks of life are this thick, but it does seem fairly regular in the football profession as well instances like this- not all footballers of course, but there are many like Lawrence and bennett that clearly let money get to their heads and act like ducking tools. They’re both morons, nothing more can be said.

Can kinda understand if someone’s just slightly over the limit, but to cause a crash like that on what is a pretty straight road, you’ve gotta be 2/3 times over the limit imo. At that point, these people are just complete thick idiots and don’t deserve to pull on the Derby shirt.

37 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Perhaps I am just ignorant to the reality of how drink driving is dealt with in work places - have other footballers been sacked for this? 

I appreciate that being a footballer is not a 'normal' profession, and that they are indeed in the public eye, but whether or not they should, in matters of legality, be treated as anyone else should be, is surely a matter for debate?

I think the chances of them being sacked is pretty slim.

What do we gain from sacking them? We weaken our squad and they’ll just join clubs similar to us in January. It’s not a job where driving is a necessity, and there are players still playing who have done things as stupid. As sad as it sounds, if they perform well for us people will forget,

It might be a bit cynical but if they were on good form for us this season, the reaction would probably be very difficult. Sacking them weakens our squad and weakens us financially. We’d gain a moral pat on the back that would last for 5 minutes and that’s it.

The weather was terrible last night. They may have been following each other home and one of them misjudged a puddle taking the other one out. They may only have had a couple of pints (enough to  put you over the limit) which im sure the majority of us have done. The point being nobody on here knows the facts so we shouldnt be jumping to conclusions.

Just now, Kernow said:

I think the chances of them being sacked is pretty slim.

What do we gain from sacking them? We weaken our squad and they’ll just join clubs similar to us in January. It’s not a job where driving is a necessity, and there are players still playing who have done things as stupid. As sad as it sounds, if they perform well for us people will forget,

It might be a bit cynical but if they were on good form for us this season, the reaction would probably be very difficult. Sacking them weakens our squad and weakens us financially. We’d gain a moral pat on the back that would last for 5 minutes and that’s it.

Whatever we do we should do for any other player. So if we sign 'insert players name here' on 50k a week and he is proper rubbish, then he has to be treated the same as we treat our better players.

The club has a big decision to make.

11 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

So both Players who are by no means brilliant footballers have been caught causing an accident while under the influence of alcohol, as it was on a Tuesday surely there would of been training on Wednesday, total disregard for the club, fans, teammates and other members of public on the road. Harsh punishment needed. 

Wednesdays are their day off 

1 minute ago, superzak said:

The weather was terrible last night. They may have been following each other home and one of them misjudged a puddle taking the other one out. They may only have had a couple of pints (enough to  put you over the limit) which im sure the majority of us have done. The point being nobody on here knows the facts so we shouldnt be jumping to conclusions.

If they had been drinking, why didn't they just get a cab? No excuse for it. 

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Whatever we do we should do for any other player. So if we sign 'insert players name here' on 50k a week and he is proper rubbish, then he has to be treated the same as we treat our better players.

The club has a big decision to make.

They’ll be slammed publicly by us, fined however much we choose and made to look like the idiots they are, rightly so.

Would be extremely surprised if they were sacked and I think it would be a mistake for the good of the club as a whole.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Didn’t mean it in that sense, clearly people in all walks of life are this thick, but it does seem fairly regular in the football profession as well instances like this- not all footballers of course, but there are many like Lawrence and bennett that clearly let money get to their heads and act like ducking tools. They’re both morons, nothing more can be said.

Can kinda understand if someone’s just slightly over the limit, but to cause a crash like that on what is a pretty straight road, you’ve gotta be 2/3 times over the limit imo. At that point, these people are just complete thick idiots and don’t deserve to pull on the Derby shirt.

You're probably right but, even on a fairly straight road I suspect you don't necessarily need to be well over the limit to lose control of a powerful car (I don't know what they drive but I guess it's not a Nissan Micra or similar) if you're messing about or racing. Either way, total idiots (if found guilty).

Archived