Roof over Pride Park

RamNut

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd love us to be so innovative. If it was allowed by the authorities it would give us a massive advantage, just like the old plastic pitches helped the teams that installed them. And we'd have the coolest ground rather than just one of several that were put up quickly in the era of new stadia being built.

And I'd have a long-term eye on whether we could sell the technology to the likes of Elon Musk for Mars colonization programmes. It's a win-win!

Can you imagine how many cans of Dark Fruits @BurtonRam7 will get through on that away day? #paintingtheredplanetpurple

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Tombo said:

Don't give a sod about the grass or the profit/loss margins, I like shiny new things.

Build me a roof on PP and then dismantle it again once I'm bored of it

Thanks.

Hi Mel!

I think @Curtains Would've preferred you take a fancy to a shiny new Centre back. I fact I think most DCFC staff, players, coaches and fans wanted a new CB more than a roof.

24 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Can you imagine how many cans of Dark Fruits @BurtonRam7 will get through on that away day? #paintingtheredplanetpurple

He'd probably drink so much he'd take a wrong turn, and end up Uranus.

Which is always a possibility here on Earth too, when very very drunk.

• 1 month later...
On 30/01/2019 at 19:16, RamNut said:

Here's a strange one. 

Heard a rumour today from a credible source that Derby are considering putting a roof over the whole stadium so that the venue can be used for concerts and other events.

sounds like a daft idea to me.

we'll see ?

Whilst poking about on Companies House for info on the rumoured sale of the club, I noticed this:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11359999

A new company called Air Roofs Ltd was incorporated in May 2018 by Mel Morris. Sole officer Mel Morris

Could be a coincidence I guess

44 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Whilst poking about on Companies House for info on the rumoured sale of the club, I noticed this:

A new company called Air Roofs Ltd was incorporated in May 2018 by Mel Morris. Sole officer Mel Morris

We already have an Air Roof don't we?????

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Smart spot, although the reference gives the company to be an engineering consultancy firm. 

As its only given MM as the sole individual of power, with no other names on the PSC register I'd make an educated guess its a personal venture rather than for the football club, otherwise we'd likely see some familiar names from high in the chain floating about. The company Articles leave plenty of space for new directors to be appointed though, so it could yet be expanded. 

3 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Smart spot, although the reference gives the company to be an engineering consultancy firm. 

As its only given MM as the sole individual of power, with no other names on the PSC register I'd make an educated guess its a personal venture rather than for the football club, otherwise we'd likely see some familiar names from high in the chain floating about. The company Articles leave plenty of space for new directors to be appointed though, so it could yet be expanded. 

Yeah - hence the reason I'm saying it could yet just be coincidence. Until they file any accounts or appoint any other directors it's impossible to know without straight up asking MM himself

To be honest if you look up the number of companies that Mel is a director of, I tried to pick out the ones that seem to be active and related to the running of the club. There are quite a lot of shell companies that don't appear to be doing anything meaningful - for example another one called Farena Ltd that was incorporated around the same time (May 2018) Nature of Business - "other sports activities"

At the end of the day he's an entrepreneur, he knows that owning the stadium is his most stable investment, so if he's had the idea of putting a roof on for whatever reason, it wouldn't be a shock to learn that he was setting up a company to look at selling roofs to loads of other clubs ("I've sold air roofs to Brockway, Ogdenville, North Haverbrook" etc)

Lyle.png

• 4 weeks later...

Wimbledon No1 court roof (about 1/3 size of Pride Park) is reputed to be costing around £70m and taking 3 years. 

3 years when you can largely build uninterrupted for 11 months of the year! PP equivalent would be 10 years or more unless we played somewhere else for the duration-Burton or Forest maybe!

Assume cost of £100m you need an increase of revenue per year of 5 million just to service the debt.

Nah, won't happen!

15 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Wimbledon No1 court roof (about 1/3 size of Pride Park) is reputed to be costing around £70m and taking 3 years. 

3 years when you can largely build uninterrupted for 11 months of the year! PP equivalent would be 10 years or more unless we played somewhere else for the duration-Burton or Forest maybe!

Assume cost of £100m you need an increase of revenue per year of 5 million just to service the debt.

Nah, won't happen!

Somebody's not read the financial report thread.... 

Suggest you Google air cell roofs matey. Literally nobody is suggesting it'll be akin to Wimbledon's which is by far the most expensive (by area) and sophisticated piece of stadia roof engineering on the planet right now. Also, it won't be DCFC paying for it should it happen. Lastly, Mel owns Air Roofs UK Ltd so servicing any debt to himself might not be an issue. 

Apart from all of that your argument stacks up nicely ?

Add into the equation that the structural steel at PPS was... I understand... built with a possible future (upwards) extension in mind to the non-west side at least, so it may not be as expensive as it would have been without such foresight.

(The adding of a complete roof wouldn't be too dissimilar to raising the roof of each of the North, South and East Stands, (as initially envisaged) where the existing ring of structural steel is concerned.)

On 30/01/2019 at 14:20, JoetheRam said:

Makes no sense. You don't need a roof to hold a gig.

Plus it would cost us a fair bit, that we don't have.

And nobody any good will play in Derby anyway.

Anybody will play there if the venue is right.

Knebworth, Castle Donnington, and Glastonbury are hardly bustling centers of activity.

Location, location, location.

And there's a reason most big events happen in the summer.

With a roof just imagine the massive pantomimes we could host.

He's behind you!

Archived