Roof over Pride Park

RamNut

Here's a strange one. 

Heard a rumour today from a credible source that Derby are considering putting a roof over the whole stadium so that the venue can be used for concerts and other events.

sounds like a daft idea to me.

we'll see ?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Here's a strange one. 

Heard a rumour today from a credible source that Derby are considering putting a roof over the whole stadium so that the venue can be used for concerts and other events.

we'll see ?

Makes no sense. You don't need a roof to hold a gig.

Plus it would cost us a fair bit, that we don't have.

And nobody any good will play in Derby anyway.

Just now, JoetheRam said:

Makes no sense. You don't need a roof to hold a gig.

Plus it would cost us a fair bit, that we don't have.

And nobody any good will play in Derby anyway.

Totally agree. But apparently its serious.

You'd instantly create the largest indoor venue in England, but surely it would be enormously expensive, and could only be paid for by hosting more events a year than a football stadium could handle, and still be fit for purpose.

Even if it worked out financially short term, other teams with larger grounds would soon do it, and we'd be left with a white elephant.

Just now, StringerBell said:

Didn't the Chilli Peppers play there?

Apparently so....that was mentioned..... with external promoters and it made a profit.

then apparently we had a go with Rod stewart....(don't remember it myself)......and we made a loss.

We've already installed the most powerful pa/speaker system in the country apparently, and seen no return on that investment, unless you count no longer being able to have a conversation with those around you pre match as a gain.

Which is quite possible for those around me, I suppose.

44 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Here's a strange one. 

we'll see ?

Definitely a draft idea. Non starter. 

30 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The main problem I see is that there is football being played for 10 months out of 12, which only leaves around 6 weeks to generate a return on investment before you have to allow a few weeks for the pitch to recover for more football.

Those six weeks are probably the most important too, for the new pitch to bed in and the roots to take hold so we have a decent pitch in the season to come, rather than just the first few weeks.

Add to that the infrastructure of Derby itself, just in terms of hotel beds. 

You'd be looking at a 40000+ capacity venue, is there even enough bed space available to meet that demand?

What about the velodrome too, would the council give permission for a venue a few yards away with 10x the capicity that would compete for the same events?

Archived