Roof over Pride Park

RamNut

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Apparently so....that was mentioned..... with external promoters and it made a profit.

then apparently we had a go with Rod stewart....(don't remember it myself)......and we made a loss.

Rod Stewart concert concert was before the Chili Peppers gig. Rod Stewart was in 2005, Chili Peppers was definitely 2006 (I was at the Chili Peppers concert).

1 minute ago, Will the Ram said:

Rod Stewart concert concert was before the Chili Peppers gig. Rod Stewart was in 2005, Chili Peppers was definitely 2006 (I was at the Chili Peppers concert).

Mrs uttoxram75 and myself were at the Rod Stewart concert.

I'd just like to say goodbye to any last shred of credibility I've ever had.

4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

You'd instantly create the largest indoor venue in England, but surely it would be enormously expensive, and could only be paid for by hosting more events a year than a football stadium could handle, and still be fit for purpose.

Even if it worked out financially short term, other teams with larger grounds would soon do it, and we'd be left with a white elephant.

Would it though? The roofs on many new, modern stadiums are extremely lightweight and require little structural support. Bucharest stadium for example. How many football stadiums in a 40 miles radius are actually capable of this type of upgrade? Leicester, Coventry? Perhaps in the summer months there is more demand for this kind of facility in the East Midlands than people think.  

3 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Would it though? The roofs on many new, modern stadiums are extremely lightweight and require little structural support. Bucharest stadium for example. How many football stadiums in a 40 miles radius are actually capable of this type of upgrade? Leicester, Coventry? Perhaps in the summer months there is more demand for this kind of facility in the East Midlands than people think.  

image.thumb.jpeg.6b2603c23795bd2c829c638a1dc8b0ba.jpeg

The self appointed Derby heritage guardians will object to altering the unique architectural features of PP and the impact on the street scene.

Our annual 2 flakes of snow will cause total collapse of the structure

The grass will die, taking us back to the BBG days - which the heritage guardians will be fine with.

The roof will amplify the sound system even more and the "man with the mike" will probably collapse from acoustic shock.

If you want entertainment bring back the monster trucks!

15 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

The main problem I see is that there is football being played for 10 months out of 12, which only leaves around 6 weeks to generate a return on investment before you have to allow a few weeks for the pitch to recover for more football.

Actually I'm going to back-track on this. 

If there was a roof then you could host gigs any time of year. You could host a 30-40,000 capacity gig anytime between Late Sep and end of May, and you'd have that market to yourself. Nowhere else in the country could host a stadium size gig during those months.  The closest would be the O2 in London at around 16k.

Particularly in the Premier League with very few midweek matches and all the international breaks there would be plenty of time for the set-up and tear-down of the stage etc.

Starting to think there might be something in this after all.

I'm not sure this would ever pay for itself but I think that two of the reasons on this thread for it not happening are probably not correct.

Firstly, Derby would make a fantastic venue for large concerts. We don't put many large concerts on so people don't come to Derby for large concerts. Yet we have fantastic infrastructure with the motorways and airport so close and we're at the centre of the rail network. Derby is just so easy to get to. As soon as the concerts became established, Derby would soon become the stadium venue of the midlands. Maybe there aren't enough hotel beds at present, but that would soon change if there was the demand. 

Secondly, and possibly less certainly, the club own several big UV lighting arrays. If we bought a few more, Pride Park would be the world's largest isoponics set up. I reckon that the grass would grow just fine.

As for FFP, my understanding is that the capital to build it would be FFP exempt, but the ongoing operating profit/loss would certainly count. If it actually worked out well, it could provide club with valuable extra revenue. Massive risk though, and not one that I'd take.

Archived