Roof over Pride Park

RamNut

23 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Anybody will play there if the venue is right.

Knebworth, Castle Donnington, and Glastonbury are hardly bustling centers of activity.

Location, location, location.

And there's a reason most big events happen in the summer.

With a roof just imagine the massive pantomimes we could host.

He's behind you!

The jungle book staring Gary Rowett as Kaa?

The Hobbit starting Billy Davies as Golum?

Robin hood staring Fawaz as the Sheriff of nottingham?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Wimbledon No1 court roof (about 1/3 size of Pride Park) is reputed to be costing around £70m and taking 3 years. 

3 years when you can largely build uninterrupted for 11 months of the year! PP equivalent would be 10 years or more unless we played somewhere else for the duration-Burton or Forest maybe!

Assume cost of £100m you need an increase of revenue per year of 5 million just to service the debt.

Nah, won't happen!

The stadium can be retrofitted with a lightweight membrane that covers the pitch. We are talking about something that will cost sub £10m. The fact that we are even talking about this highlights that Mel has done his research and had quotes. 

Just now, curb said:

I hope we're going to design it so we can still expand when required.

After all we're going to have to compete with Notts Forest and their shiny new 80,000 capacity shitty ground.

I reckon the plans for ground will remain the same, just that the roof will be some sort of temporary design that can be put in place and inflated when needed and then deflated and removed when not.

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I reckon the plans for ground will remain the same, just that the roof will be some sort of temporary design that can be put in place and inflated when needed and then deflated and removed when not.

Inflatable will give a whole new meaning to bands wanting to blow the roof off!

11 minutes ago, curb said:

I hope we're going to design it so we can still expand when required.

After all we're going to have to compete with Notts Forest and their shiny new 80,000 capacity shitty ground.

That's a lot of pink paint required for the seats. Are Wilkos still doing their '2 for 1' offer?

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

The stadium can be retrofitted with a lightweight membrane that covers the pitch. We are talking about something that will cost sub £10m. The fact that we are even talking about this highlights that Mel has done his research and had quotes.

All projects overrun on cost and even at £10m you need increased revenue of £2m per year to justify it. Maintenance, loan service and repay of capital. Say around a £100 quid per punter per year. Should be doable? Not on my season ticket thank you!

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

All projects overrun on cost and even at £10m you need increased revenue of £2m per year to justify it. Maintenance, loan service and repay of capital. Say around a £100 quid per punter per year. Should be doable? Not on my season ticket thank you!

Am I being a bit thick here? Surely, if it ever happened, it would be in order to allow other events to take place thus generating income. What justification would there be for an extra burden on season ticket holders?

I know I’m being thick here, but what events are people expecting to be able to take place with some form of floaty roof? I’m struggling to see the ‘business case’ for this.  Please enlighten me, oh enlightened ones.  Just seems a bit bonkers (so bonkers it’s true?).

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Am I being a bit thick here? Surely, if it ever happened, it would be in order to allow other events to take place thus generating income. What justification would there be for an extra burden on season ticket holders?

Ignore DCFC fans then: So they somehow manage to set up 5 major events over the summer (when we need to let the pitch regenerate), say 50000 punters. That's £20 quid on top of whatever they charge for the event. Derby cannot  draw those sort of crowds and make that sort of money. Sorry but that's the facts. We can't fill the theatre, Quad, or Velodrome!  

52 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

It's got nothing to do with Derby County. 

13 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Ignore DCFC fans then: So they somehow manage to set up 5 major events over the summer (when we need to let the pitch regenerate), say 50000 punters. That's £20 quid on top of whatever they charge for the event. Derby cannot  draw those sort of crowds and make that sort of money. Sorry but that's the facts. We can't fill the theatre, Quad, or Velodrome!  

Yeah, makes you wonder how Glastonbury can get 140,000 folk at £150 per ticket into a field where there's nothing but livestock mooching around for the other 360 days a year. Nuts huh! 

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Add into the equation that the structural steel at PPS was... I understand... built with a possible future (upwards) extension in mind to the non-west side at least, so it may not be as expensive as it would have been without such foresight.

(The adding of a complete roof wouldn't be too dissimilar to raising the roof of each of the North, South and East Stands, (as initially envisaged) where the existing ring of structural steel is concerned.)

Likely to be like this effort at the Minesota Vikings. No structural steel required. Cheap. Lightweight. Permanent. Translucent. 

Grass still grows as light gets through all the year round. 

Screenshot_20190402-195154.png

Archived