Roof over Pride Park

RamNut

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/01/2019 at 19:16, RamNut said:

Here's a strange one. 

Heard a rumour today from a credible source that Derby are considering putting a roof over the whole stadium so that the venue can be used for concerts and other events.

sounds like a daft idea to me.

we'll see ?

Obviously so Leeds can’t spy

If you want to know what sort of idea it is, google what's now called Marvel Stadium - it's been variously named Etihad Stadium, Telstra Dome, and Colonial Stadium since it opened in 2000 - in Melbourne.

It's primarily an AFL venue but Melbourne Victory have played their bigger home matches there for years now, as have the Socceroos from time to time, but maintaining a decent surface for AFL matches, let alone a football-appropriate pitch, has been a constant problem.

Seriously, just don't even consider it.

1 hour ago, EssendonRam said:

If you want to know what sort of idea it is, google what's now called Marvel Stadium - it's been variously named Etihad Stadium, Telstra Dome, and Colonial Stadium since it opened in 2000 - in Melbourne.

It's primarily an AFL venue but Melbourne Victory have played their bigger home matches there for years now, as have the Socceroos from time to time, but maintaining a decent surface for AFL matches, let alone a football-appropriate pitch, has been a constant problem.

Seriously, just don't even consider it.

That looks like a movable roof.

my understanding is that we're considering a fixed translucent roof.

On 30/01/2019 at 19:16, RamNut said:

Here's a strange one. 

Heard a rumour today from a credible source that Derby are considering putting a roof over the whole stadium so that the venue can be used for concerts and other events.

sounds like a daft idea to me.

we'll see ?

Who’s your credible source?

I'd love us to be so innovative. If it was allowed by the authorities it would give us a massive advantage, just like the old plastic pitches helped the teams that installed them. And we'd have the coolest ground rather than just one of several that were put up quickly in the era of new stadia being built.

And I'd have a long-term eye on whether we could sell the technology to the likes of Elon Musk for Mars colonization programmes. It's a win-win!

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd love us to be so innovative. If it was allowed by the authorities it would give us a massive advantage, just like the old plastic pitches helped the teams that installed them. And we'd have the coolest ground rather than just one of several that were put up quickly in the era of new stadia being built.

And I'd have a long-term eye on whether we could sell the technology to the likes of Elon Musk for Mars colonization programmes. It's a win-win!

Surely it would need to be able to create an atmosphere for that to work!

Even the few of us that try in the South stand couldn't generate enough atmosphere for that to work.

10 hours ago, Tombo said:

Don't give a sod about the grass or the profit/loss margins, I like shiny new things.

Build me a roof on PP and then dismantle it again once I'm bored of it

Thanks.

That was my attitude when our Docklands Stadium opened in 2000 to be honest.

But the reality is that the grass can't grow properly so you're automatically spending a fortune on 'drop in' pitches. And, as others have said, the temptation to solicit for other events to build a revenue stream sufficient to earn a return on the incremental spend.

Frankly, while the closed roof is wonderful when it rains, I've always felt that Docklands Stadium is colder in mid-winter than the MCG (they're less than a kilometre apart) as the closed roof seems to create worse wind tunnels.

3 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

That was my attitude when our Docklands Stadium opened in 2000 to be honest.

But the reality is that the grass can't grow properly so you're automatically spending a fortune on 'drop in' pitches. And, as others have said, the temptation to solicit for other events to build a revenue stream sufficient to earn a return on the incremental spend.

Frankly, while the closed roof is wonderful when it rains, I've always felt that Docklands Stadium is colder in mid-winter than the MCG (they're less than a kilometre apart) as the closed roof seems to create worse wind tunnels.

They have a roof made from polyester fabric at the Eintracht Frankfurt stadium, which was done up for the 2006 World Cup. I don't think they would have installed it unless the German FA had paid for it, and I doubt whether Mel Morris would be keen on spending his own money.

It does interfere with the sunlight and irrigation, and I believe the pitch has to be changed about four times a season.

They also had a design problem which meant that huge pools of water built up on the roof causing the fabric to sag. This water would then come down all at once in a huge deluge, leaving sections of the pitch waterlogged.

Archived