Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

I thought we battled well, R,K and T as per everyone else. At least we got a point, and had chances to win.

This, for me, emphasized how much we miss Mount, whose always first to the 2nd balls, and plays in that area

between the forwards and our DM, which was glaringly empty tonight!  A midfield of King and Mount should

allow us to play Holmes further up the pitch, where we can utilise his obvious skills better. So my best team at

the moment (to avoid that debacle again) would be.....

Carson/Roos

Bogle  Keogh  Tomori  Malone/Cole

Holmes  King/Huddlestone/Evans  Mount

Wilson  Marriott  Waghorn

This should at least keep the ball in the other half of the pitch.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rynny said:

Played the best pass of the game to set Holmes through ?‍♂️

Should’ve acknowledged Bennett in my post as well tbf, had a positive impact off the bench and that pass was genius, Huddlestone would have been proud of that. I’d start him over Nugent upfront anyday, not like Nugent offers a goal threat either which is Bennett’s main problem

Just back from a game that did little to warm my feet and as most of you will have seen it one way or another you will have formed your own views on who did what to whom and how well they did it.

At the end of any season there are matches that you might look back at and say 'we could have got more points there' and this was one of them. Had either of Harry's wood hitting shots gone in in the first half then I think we would have gone on to win.

But at season's end we might also be looking back and thinking 'where did we get that point that has kept us in the play offs/automatic places?'. And one answer will be Deepdale on a cold Friday night in front of Rowett himself and against a team in form and playing well. 

And we got a point for a number of reasons, including the fact that this team has, in football parlance, character.  Guts and hard work would be other descriptions. I know he has the occasional detractor on these pages but our captain, leader and crusader gave the sort of performance tonight that allows those of us who love him to stick two fingers up and say 'thank God we have him'. Take a bow Mr Keogh, your performance tonight was magnificent. And I don't care if you disagree, I'm right.

On another day it could have been 3-1 to us at half time. Two great efforts from H.

Lawrence played clean through unable to hit the target. Yet thats all he is there for.

Second half they dominated but even then we had one or two moments where we might have snatched something.

They looked a very tidy side. Much better than they played at PP. Alan Browne always impresses. I expect them to rise up the table as they did last year.

We battled well to keep a clean sheet. 

Could have won. Could have lost. Overall 0-0 was a decent point imo.

holmes, and keogh were the stars for us. 

turned on Radio derby and was once again slightly taken aback by all the negativity. Started reading this thread and found a load more.

Wtf. Its a pity we couldn't steal a 1-0, but a draw was fair.

53 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Just back from a game that did little to warm my feet and as most of you will have seen it one way or another you will have formed your own views on who did what to whom and how well they did it.

At the end of any season there are matches that you might look back at and say 'we could have got more points there' and this was one of them. Had either of Harry's wood hitting shots gone in in the first half then I think we would have gone on to win.

But at season's end we might also be looking back and thinking 'where did we get that point that has kept us in the play offs/automatic places?'. And one answer will be Deepdale on a cold Friday night in front of Rowett himself and against a team in form and playing well. 

And we got a point for a number of reasons, including the fact that this team has, in football parlance, character.  Guts and hard work would be other descriptions. I know he has the occasional detractor on these pages but our captain, leader and crusader gave the sort of performance tonight that allows those of us who love him to stick two fingers up and say 'thank God we have him'. Take a bow Mr Keogh, your performance tonight was magnificent. And I don't care if you disagree, I'm right.

I'm one of the so called "Keogh haters" (but have no personal animosity towards him) because I dare say and comment on the fact,  that he does sometimes play the way that I do not expect seasoned professional to play.  (Earlier threads will explain my reasoning)

I will not open that debate again and it is my own viewpoint, so please respect that (and please also let's not go down the who is right or wrong about my view now).  

However I am a DCFC fan through and through, since my dad took me to the BBG when I was four, way back in 1961 and off and on, kids and work permitting, I have had a season ticket since.

And to cut to the chase, keogh was excellent tonight and although I thought tactically FL had an off day today, Keogh held a defensive line that stopped everything from the opposition whenever they tried to split the ranks. A very committed performance and a very well done to the team captain.

6 hours ago, cannable said:

I thought Evans played like a proper DM tonight. Won it loads, moved it on simply. 

I’d have him and Huddlestone together.

I think its because how woeful he was on the anything over a 5 yard pass went about 10 yards away from where it was intended to 

Trying to keep things in perspective here

Last nights performance has triggered some slatings but with the players available last night I actually think we worked hard enough to earn a point

As someone has already mentioned it was very reminiscent of the performances under Rowett and thank god we are not seeing that week in week out but under the circumstances with the players available it was a good result and a game where we still came closer to winning it than PNE.......We got a point and did a job and Keogh and Temori were magnificent and Holmes although didn't get everything right is a real find for us and will only get better.

On the performance last night I have to say that poor old Nugent is a spent force and no one can doubt his endeavour but it just isn't there anymore. Lawrence for me was poor last night and should've done much better on two occasions , the one where Wilson slid a pass through and he spooned it wide and the other chance where Wilson gave it to him as he cut in from the left after a mistake in midfield where we robbed it off one of there players , his first touch was so poor and if had been better was a great chance to go past his player and get in on goal.

I think Evans was ok and some critisicm is a bit harsh on him as he basically did what he was supposed to do and that was protect the back four and i can't remember them coming through the middle of us much if at all last night.

But getting things into perspective and with the side available we did well to get a point and still could've won it if Wilsons 2 efforts had gone in.

As Scarlet Pimpernel has mentioned though , just look at the side when all of our players are fit and you see a different picture.

Hudds , Mount and King and with Marriott back up top looks a side and there's plenty to play for this season in what is still Franks first season.He mentioned last night that there is a lot to do and he's right as it did look like due to financial circumstances that we were a bit makeshift last night but we still kept a clean sheet and got something so we move on....looking at the team below i have no reason to doubt we have a chance as we are right in the mix and although i'd probably swap Bogle for Holmes that side is decent so don't worry too much about a difficult away game in which we hung on a bit against opponents who are on form and with a depleted side missing some players that would've made a real difference.... 

The summer will be interesting as some of the shackles should be off and we can shift out most of the players Frank doesn't want on permanents and he can reshape us a bit more with players he wants but in the meantime lets get right behind the lads as i think our support is key.....we are in the mix and have a chance.....COYR

below as posted by The Scarlet Pimpernel

First team when all fit:

...................... .. ROOS......................... 

BOGLE.... KEOGH..... TOMORI.... COLE

.................... HUDDLESTONE............... 

...... KING............................. MOUNT

WAGHORN.......MARRIOTT......WILSON

8 hours ago, DesertRam said:

I thought we battled well, R,K and T as per everyone else. At least we got a point, and had chances to win.

This, for me, emphasized how much we miss Mount, whose always first to the 2nd balls, and plays in that area

between the forwards and our DM, which was glaringly empty tonight!  A midfield of King and Mount should

allow us to play Holmes further up the pitch, where we can utilise his obvious skills better. So my best team at

the moment (to avoid that debacle again) would be.....

Carson/Roos

Bogle  Keogh  Tomori  Malone/Cole

Holmes  King/Huddlestone/Evans  Mount

Wilson  Marriott  Waghorn

This should at least keep the ball in the other half of the pitch.

I'm not sure that we'd get away with 15 on the pitch but worth a try ?

9 hours ago, cannable said:

As much as I don’t normally, I enjoyed seeing us earn a point by defending under the cosh.

It’s not nice on the regular but it’s enjoyable seeing a different side to our team every now and then.

I know what you mean, and actually agree... but it does feel weird!  We really shouldn't have enjoyed that!

I "enjoyed the game", almost as if I was a neutral, for some reason. 

I think it was more to do with their attacking frailties rather than our masterful defending, but despite the constant onslaught, I couldn't see us losing... in fact I even expected a late winner from us... "Typical Derby" sort of thing.

It could be argued we "Did what we had to do", and I'll take that for now.  Just a shame we could drop out of the PO spots today, but then we did well not to do so during the Xmas/New Year period, so all in all, I'll take what we earned last night, and simply look forward to an improvement for the next game.

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Still should have started Waghorn through the middle.

Fair option but I can also see the thinking of pairing him with Holmes on the right given Holmes is out of position , I know there’s wisdom but I’m not sure what’s going on with him ,he’s been poor for some time 

Archived