Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

We don't do well against teams that try and  play football. 

Thinking the Villa game. All one sided. There's something wrong there. Don't have enough football savy to pin point exactly what. 

Is it the pressing? Is it composure playing it out when we're under the cosh? 

Any ideas? 

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottom line is it’s a good away point, but f@@k me I’ve never seen a team give the ball away so cheaply. I can see Nugent going on the stand up comedy circuit. “ The Man Utd Physio says to Roy Keane you’re having a Cortisone injection, Beckham says if he’s having a new sports car I want one as well “

That sort of thing.

Just now, Norman said:

I thought Evans played well too. Positioning was good, closing down was good. Passing was better than most.

Bryson and Lawrence's only offerings was the ball to Preston. Must be incredibly frustrating for Evans and Wilson to play around them at the moment.

I agree, I think Evans is getting some unfair stick at the moment for not being a slick ball player like Huddz or Thorne. What he does do is a lot of the dirty stuff that doesn't get noticed, breaking up play, covering those out of position, etc.

He's a good old "water carrier".

A fairer comparison would be with John Eustace than Huddz or Thorne.

Some games will suit Evans and other games will suit Huddz/Thorne.

4 minutes ago, Anon said:

Ridiculous hyperbole considering we had MacDonald on the bench tonight. Can you seriously tell me you think Nugent offers more than Bennett?

Sorry don’t know what hyperbole means.

Bennett is not good enough for me, that’s it. If you don’t like my opinion, move on to the next post. 

1 minute ago, Warren Hobhead said:

We’ve got shut of so many midfielders yet Bryson remains like the turd we can’t flush. I honestly think we’d have fared no worse tonight had he not been out there and we played with 10. Anonymous.

”yeah but he scored a hat trick years ago and runs around and that”

Another game with 7 or 8 poor performances and as usual you single out Bryson ?

19 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

So you didn't think Roos, Keogh & Tomori earned their corn tonight then?

Well you did directly quote a post of me praising Keogh and Tomori and specifically exclude them from my following comment... 

I did miss Roos tbf, tho fairly obviously you can’t really criticise the goalkeeper for the performance and regardless he did a lot to keep us in it.

12 minutes ago, Supertommyjohnson said:

Missed Huddlestone I think, Evans worked hard got some blocks in but nobody controlling in the midfield. Malone does alright but can’t cross a ball, miss forsyth for that. Lawrence is a more frustrating player than ince, doesn’t press, doesn’t battle. Waste of time. On a positive Roos looks good, at least he can distribute and commands his area quite well. Clean sheet, defence did well to weather the pressure 

Malone is a decent crosser, he just can't defend and has no awareness whatsoever.

1 minute ago, thelovebelow said:

We don't do well against teams that try and  play football. 

Thinking the Villa game. All one sided. There's something wrong there. Don't have enough football savy to pin point exactly what. 

Is it the pressing? Is it composure playing it out when we're under the cosh? 

Any ideas? 

It’s the speed in which we transition, if you look at Man City for example (I’m not suggesting we’ll ever be anywhere near their technical ability) they press together  as a team, rather than in 1’s or 2’s. 

When we play against a footballing team, they play around us to easily and we don’t hunt them in packs to get the ball back ASAP, when we do eventually get it back we are net technically gifted enough to hold on to it and turn them, turning it into a counter. We just head it aimlessly into the air or boot it down field, the passes aren’t measured or directed, just punted. 

3 minutes ago, Derbados said:

He understood the restrictions around transfers when he came in but wanted to do more in January and couldn’t 

get the sense he wanted 2-3 in but the club couldn’t stretch to the wages / fees

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How is 'I knew the situation when I took the job in the summer' a veiled dig?

Yeah, I didn’t hear it as a dig at all to be honest. And I’ve heard him say a few times that he knew the score when he came here.

5 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

Rowett saying Lawrence is a central player... How many times did he play him centrally? 

This is what I mean when I say that I just don’t know what Lawrence is.

He can hit a half-decent knuckle-ball and occasionally produces some magical touches around the box. 

He can’t really do any of that consistently or effectively out wide. 

Archived