Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

24 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

First team when all fit:

...................... .. ROOS......................... 

BOGLE.... KEOGH..... TOMORI.... COLE

.................... HUDDLESTONE............... 

...... KING............................. MOUNT

WAGHORN.......MARRIOTT......WILSON

Six players who didn't take part tonight. We got a point we move on. UTR

The only problem is that Holmes is left out which is harsh. I think I might have Holmes in for Waggers......

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point given a few of our players were not at it tonight. Not sure why Evans is getting so much stick - I thought he played well considering the 5 in front of him were offering little in terms of retaining the ball.  King had a good evening too - definite starter next game. Keogh, Tomori and Roos fully deserved the clean sheet.

The lineup was all wrong from the start, we played like a team of strangers second half. Lawrence was the worse player on the pitch, I would rather see Anya left side. Malone was isolated against two players a lot, mainly Due to Lawrence being lazy or having no awareness of his man. We can't  afford to play malone and Lawrence down that side, teams will target it every time. The positives from that game were Roos, Keogh and Tomori, they were outstanding and got us an undeserved point.

6 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Agree Nugent was anonymous but what service did he get? Seems unfair to single him out. We had a single corner in the second half  and that was after he went off. Not a lot to work with. 2 shots from Wilson aside and a lovely Wilson through ball to Lawrence...apart from that I am struggling to think of any move we put together. Think Marriott would have struggled too if given the same support as we offered upfront tonight.

And it made the derby county top 10 worst corners too

it didn’t even come close to beating the first man, it almost apologetic that we had the nerve to win the corner in the first place 

tbh it summed the performances up from an attacking point of view tonight 

utterly inept 

hats off to keogh, tomori and Roos , we’re exellent tonight 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Waghorn just put a beautiful ball right across the 6 yard box... of our area ? 

This was the strangest, most stupid moment of the game. As bad as the johnny Russell own goal from the edge of the area. I can't fathom why players whack the ball towards their own goal like that and would substitute them every time.

6 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Don’t understand the criticism Evans is getting on Twitter. I love Hudds but I thought Evans held his own tonight.

Agree. I think Evans gives us balance. I'd still like to see Tomori in the role, but Evans is the future and did fine tonight. One of the better performers.

Overall, it was pretty dire, but promotion is built on clean sheets and going to places like Preston and still getting a point when you're not on your game and have players like Mount, Marriott, King Cole and indeed Bogle to come in.

Keogh was immense - a total star. Well done Roos (I especially like the distance he gets when he saves the ball with his feet), Tomori (other than one terrible cross field pass to them) and Holmes did well filling in at right back. And Wilson hit the bar and the inside of the post and played a most beautiful key pass through to Lawrence.

I really don't think we're looking at automatics - we needed much more strengthening in January to push on for that. But the resilience shown tonight will stand us in good stead for a playoff push. And we are proving a cup team this season - people wouldn't want to face us in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, lukedcfc said:

The lineup was all wrong from the start, we played like a team of strangers second half. Lawrence was the worse player on the pitch, I would rather see Anya left side. Malone was isolated against two players a lot, mainly Due to Lawrence being lazy or having no awareness of his man. We can't  afford to play malone and Lawrence down that side, teams will target it every time. The positives from that game was Roos, Keogh and Tomori, they were outstanding and got us an undeserved point.

I think Lawrence is an enigma, when he is on his game, like against WBA he can look really decent. Agree tonight he was very poor...

15 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

He wasn't the worst performer tonight, got some decent foot ins and tackles as we were overun in the second half, but for me you need more from someone in that position. On the ball he offers little and has little presence about him. Nowhere near as good as Eustace yet.

As for Preston cutting us open through the middle? They play over the top and wide. No coincidence Stockley has more goals than any player in the top 4 leagues from headers. They thrive on getting crosses in rather than playing through the middle. And it's fair to say knowing you're playing Derby, the incentive to get it wide is huge because you'll know you'll get your crosses in. 

Seen plenty of teams walk through the middle of us, no matter how they play. Even at home.

He offers far more on the ball than being allowed. Seriously ducked off with people expecting him to play ole football with some of the players he has to share a pitch with.

They pressed high second half especially. 4 or 5 pressing together on the back line. That isn't his job when that happens. It's up to the two CMs to show for the ball, or a ball down the line.

Would still play Huddlestone at home though.

6 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I can fully understand peoples frustrations with Lawrence but with 'flair' players in the Championship inconsistency is natural, if it wasnt they would be in the Prem. Do people really want us to resort back to the workhorse type of wingers we had in Ward Russell & Weimann? Because I dont and imo thats exactly what Bennett is. 

I would have all three of them over Lawrence, they at least knew when to pass the ball and to track back when needed.

Just now, lukedcfc said:

I would have all three of them over Lawrence, they at least knew when to pass the ball and to track back when needed.

Lawrence tracks back as well, I dont think having Malone behind him helps much as his positioning isnt the best.

I think you may have forgotten how poor in possession those 3 actually were for the majority of time.

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This was the strangest, most stupid moment of the game. As bad as the johnny Russell own goal from the edge of the area. I can't fathom why players whack the ball towards their own goal like that and would substitute them every time.

Agree. I think Evans gives us balance. I'd still like to see Tomori in the role, but Evans is the future and did fine tonight. One of the better performers.

Overall, it was pretty dire, but promotion is built on clean sheets and going to places like Preston and still getting a point when you're not on your game and have players like Mount, Marriott, King Cole and indeed Bogle to come in.

Keogh was immense - a total star. Well done Roos (I especially like the distance he gets when he saves the ball with his feet), Tomori (other than one terrible cross field pass to them) and Holmes did well filling in at right back. And Wilson hit the bar and the inside of the post and played a most beautiful key pass through to Lawrence.

I really don't think we're looking at automatics - we needed much more strengthening in January to push on for that. But the resilience shown tonight will stand us in good stead for a playoff push. And we are proving a cup team this season - people wouldn't want to face us in the playoffs.

Not convinced we tried to win that game tonight. We set out to simply absorb pressure but still nearly scored two great goals

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Lawrence tracks back as well, I dont think having Malone behind him helps much as his positioning isnt the best.

I think you may have forgotten how poor in possession those 3 actually were for the majority of time.

Malone definitely doesn't help, I agree. Ward and Russell didn't cost much, where as Lawrence cost us 7m +, I expect much more effort from him. He will always have eyes on him, mainly due to his price tag.  We swapped ince for him, I would have ince back in a heartbeat.

7 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I can fully understand peoples frustrations with Lawrence but with 'flair' players in the Championship inconsistency is natural, if it wasnt they would be in the Prem. Do people really want us to resort back to the workhorse type of wingers we had in Ward Russell & Weimann? Because I dont and imo thats exactly what Bennett is. 

I would definitely have the likes of Russell and even Ward back. In terms of goals/assists per game Lawrence is roughly the same as Russell and is worse than Ward in goals per game.

Ward and Russell actually played as if they had team mates - helping defensively as well as in attack, passing the ball, etc.

And if we are going to be looking at past players, especially flair players, we should just bring Ince back - can actually beat a man, pass to team mates and scores a good number as well.

I get wanting more from the team, however, what I saw tonight:

Team cobbled together with a backup Keeper, RIght back, Midfielder, Striker- scratch out a point (away) to an in-form team. 

Reinforcements to those positions are on their way back to fit. (Mount may be awhile)

Team sits 7 points from Autos (ambitious, but as of today, only 7 points).

My take: today was a good day. 

3 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Malone definitely doesn't help, I agree. Ward and Russell didn't cost much, where as Lawrence cost us 7m +, I expect much more effort from him. He will always have eyes on him, mainly due to his price tag.  We swapped ince for him, I would have ince back in a heartbeat.

I agree completely and i expect much more from him especially with the price tag but I also get the inconsistency and would rather flair over workhorse running from our wingers.

I think most would swap Lawrence for Ince, I know I would

44 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Good - Roos, tomori, keogh, Holmes, wilson, evans

bad- waghorn, Malone 

down right ugly - Lawrence, Bryson, Nugent 

a good point in the end but we ahoukdnt be getting outplayed by Preston for 75 minutes in a football game.

Don’t see what Malone did wrong at all

26 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Good point given a few of our players were not at it tonight. Not sure why Evans is getting so much stick - I thought he played well considering the 5 in front of him were offering little in terms of retaining the ball.  King had a good evening too - definite starter next game. Keogh, Tomori and Roos fully deserved the clean sheet.

I thought Evans played like a proper DM tonight. Won it loads, moved it on simply. 

I’d have him and Huddlestone together.

Archived