Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

Preston NE vs Derby

Deepdale

1st February, 19.45 KO

So, having come through our 4th round FA cup tie against Accrington by playing a strong team we return to league duties against Preston who have been in good form recently beating Stoke and QPR.

Will Marriott have got over the flu?

Will Mount be able to remount?

Will Waghorn be inexplicably dropped?

Who will play right back?

Will Ashly Cole start?

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every game will be tough for us from now till the end of the season as we dont blow teams away so prepare to bite your nails. We haven’t won by more than a one goal margin since 3rd November in the 3-1 victory over Birmingham. Preston won 2-0 against Stoke yesterday and 4-1 against QPR, both away, a draw will be a good result.

Excellent team are Preston, bit weak in Defence which we need to figure out how to exploit, but really clinical going forward, far more so than us. Need to make sure we don’t give them any space in our half because this is a game we really need to be winning for we’re going to progress in this division. Need to show strong organisation and energy as per if we’re going to get anything here. Will be watching on the tv in classic half fan manner, hoping we can actually find a squad of 18 with all our current injuries and suspensions! For me:

Roos

Wisdom Keogh Tomori Malone

Huddlestone

Wilson Mount

Waghorn Marriott Holmes

No need to change a huge amount as the balance in the squad looked ok recently, all depends on who’s fit in that 11 however. Don’t wanna see any pulling out of tackles like we had at Leeds, gotta go into this match properly and full blooded, every match is a battle with they way we play.

Sitting here in the wilds of Northern Scotland with an old friend who is a Burnley fan from birth.

i can only second her comment .... “i’d Love it if you beat the nob Enders” 

i have a sense that Waghorn is the man of the moment and along with little Duane will be our jokers in the pack as the season moves towards the business end. 

It’s febuary ... Aquarius rising with a the mighty rams. Win this and self belief goes up 2 notches. Coyr

14 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

All we have to do play with no fear and get stuck and try play hit and move football.

I have huddlestone mount and wilson in midfield

Zoon and Mason Bennett outwide

Marriott

Dropping Waghorn after being our best player for the last few games... frank is that you?

Preston fan in peace. Just reading some of your thoughts on the game before I put my bets on. 

We have been weak in defence this season as suggested. For me that stems from the slow to start of the season when we lost a number of key players to injuries and suspension. It’s taken us until January to get everybody back fit. We seem to have gained some confidence and consistency in that area at last since the start of Jan.

Our attacking performance is also surprising considering we haven’t really had a striker for the first half of the season. Thankfully that’s sorted now with Stockley signing and Maguire back fit. The goals have really been coming from our midfield which I can honestly say in 25 years of supporting Preston is the strongest I can remember. I suspect we might lose a few in the summer.

Parsnip, love your comment “Preston to me are like Sheff Utd... I just can’t bring myself to worry about them” ? I think every Preston fan knows we’re not the most fashionable. In fact most fans come out with “...teams like Preston” comment. We quite like being under the radar. I’m sure we’re responsible for most managers sackings each season.

Anyway, not come to cause trouble. I’m quietly surprised how well Lampard has done for you. I thought Rowett was an absolute fool to have left Derby. I fully expect you to be around the playoffs come the end of the season. I did expect a little better on the goals tally from Waghorn though? I also see Nugent (one of my favourite ever Preston strikers) has been coming off the bench a lot recently?

I will say, that along with our last two wins against QPR and Stoke, our performances have been incredible. It will definitely be a good game come Friday.

3 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Re: team selection

Isn't Bogle's ban to be served in the FA Cup as that was the competition he saw red in?

All domestic competitions. If he was sent off in a league game he could miss a cup game if it's within the length of the ban and vice versa.

38 minutes ago, Sutty Preston said:

I did expect a little better on the goals tally from Waghorn though? 

He's hardly been picked bizarrely. Now he's hopefully getting a run now though so expecting big things - maybe you'll be on the end of his first hat trick.

Archived