Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

Went ta a good social club before game.. St Gregory's... Wa made ta feel reet welcome well done ta em. We had a raffle an all . Would of liked it ta be a meat raffle but I dunt know what I would have done wi meat if I had won... Also did anyone else ay a hot chocolate . Their hot drinks wa hotter than surface of the sun . 

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LazloW said:

I think last night has to go down as a good point.  I must admit, I thought Preston were higher in the league than they are (and how they played, surprised they aren't higher), but they seem to be yet another very tidy team who play and press at a high pace.  

Smaller team so they don't get the coverage that bigger teams do re. injuries. They've had a torrid time with injuries as I understand it and just starting to recover from it. Unsurprisingly they have looked more like the playoff chasers of last year in the last 2-3 games. Was impressed with them, good footballing side.

30 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Yes we got a point, yes it was the first time Preston hadn’t scored at home all season and yes we had injury’s. BUT I would much rather us play like we did against West Brom and Boro away than that, the performance last night was terrible, up there with Leeds. We were so short of proper footballers, I understand what Franks trying to do with “transition” but 5 of the players who started last night were his and 2 he had rejected offers for. That was mostly his side, it wasn’t good enough! What do they do in training. The harsh reality is if we don’t start turning up for games we’re going to drop away again. And have to watch teams like Leeds, Norwich, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Bournemouth and Wolves play premier league football, teams that have been in the lower leagues and nowhere near for the past few years. Cmon Derby pull yourselves together and start turning out performances and wins!! Also Mounts out for about 3-4 weeks so we need more in midfield.

Way over the top, yes it was not great, but we got a point and move on, like most of the top 10 this season we are all inconsistent, and we now have King to come in who will make a difference, I believe we have enough to make top 6, and Frank has done a good job so far, so easy to be negative, it's time for us all to get behind the management and team. In Frank I trust.

2 hours ago, Owd miner said:

Went ta a good social club before game.. St Gregory's... Wa made ta feel reet welcome well done ta em. We had a raffle an all . Would of liked it ta be a meat raffle but I dunt know what I would have done wi meat if I had won... Also did anyone else ay a hot chocolate . Their hot drinks wa hotter than surface of the sun . 

i liked the zebra patterned chairs in there from the 50`s and it cost a quid to get in lol

6 hours ago, Owd miner said:

I knew it ,, he’s a vegan old miner 

18 hours ago, Derby blood said:

First of all Holmes played at  back not left back, for me our centre backs were excellent, which they have been most of the season, our problems have been at full back, Malone can not defend and is out of position far to much, think Cole will start next game, also Bogle will be a great player some day but at the mo has lost his confidence, and also allows to many balls into our box, hope Wisdom gets match fit, and get back to the form we all know he is capable of, when we get King in the middle and Mount back fit we will be fine in that department, also need Marriott back as soon as possible, get our best 11 out there, then we could beat anyone, at this level.

Sorry, yeah I meant right back mate 

An away draw at Preston wasn't a bad result under the circumstances.However Derby need to be winning games to stay closer to the pack above. the next game against Hull will be interesting as they are a form side. Is their winger Bowen a left or right winger? If he is a right winger I fancy Cole to start.

went to the game on friday , and after reading a lot of these posts on here , mostly negative , id like to say how proud of the lads i was at the final whistle , yes we didnt create anything , especially 2nd half , but they showed courage , guts and battling qualities against an onslaught of continued Preston pressure , while i agree it wasnt easy on the eye for you watching at home , sometimes you get these games where you have to stand up and be counted to chisel out a hard earned point , and i thought Captain Fantastic and his team did this on friday , COYR

19 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

went to the game on friday , and after reading a lot of these posts on here , mostly negative , id like to say how proud of the lads i was at the final whistle , yes we didnt create anything , especially 2nd half , but they showed courage , guts and battling qualities against an onslaught of continued Preston pressure , while i agree it wasnt easy on the eye for you watching at home , sometimes you get these games where you have to stand up and be counted to chisel out a hard earned point , and i thought Captain Fantastic and his team did this on friday , COYR

I agree, premier ram. I was also at the game (my first for three weeks) and it wasn't our brightest hour attacking-wise but I was so pleased with the way we kept going and defended until the final whistle. We really are quite resilient under Frank and I like it.

I watched the game back on tv yesterday, and if either of Harry's chances had gone in we'd have come away with a win, deserved or not. Throw in that the influential Pearson could and should have had his marching orders too and you realise there are  fine margins in football, as I always say.

Interesting that last season we would have set up to do just that, defend for most of the game and try to sneak a goal or two on the break. 

This season, we expect more possession and attacking, but when we have more of the ball we are also vulnerable to the counter-attack. We aren't going to play like WBA away every week, with our young team, injuries and inconsistent form will play a part. Preston played well, but we really dug in to keep that clean sheet. 

Incidentally, I was chatting with Duane Holmes' mum after the game as we shared a hand-dryer. I didn't know it was her, but said what a good defensive performance it was. She seemed worried about the fans ' reaction to Duane playing at full back, and in general really. Before I had really cottoned on who she was I was saying what a good job he'd done and how well I thought he'd been playing generally since he came into the team and how I loved to see him running at defences. She seemed genuinely pleased for the feedback and it occurred to me how difficult it must be to be a relative and have to listen to some of the guff the fans come out with at matches. As you know, I had a similar conversation with David Nugent's mum earlier in the season.

Imagine if that had been Tom Lawrence's mum on Friday! Although she wouldn't have heard anything negative from me, some of the abuse on Friday was so over the top. I then came on here to similar, and posters trolling every thread to have a dig at him. I know people say that it doesn't matter what we say on a message board and that we don't take it to games, but of course people do and it influences the mindset of them and the wider fan base, who start looking for his next 'mistake' and waiting to pounce again. Lawrence's treatment by a section of our fans reminds me very much of Cyrus Christie' s.  Some will not be happy until they have driven him away. 

I really dislike the attitude of some of our fans who seem to expect we have a right to watch Barcelona-type football every week. 

I just wanted to explain why I hadn't commented much on the board this weekend. It's not felt like a pleasant place to be. 

We’ve been questioning the defence a lot this season yet on Friday they really stood up. If we can defend like that for the rest of the season, we have goals in the locker and it could be really promising.

We clearly weren’t at it, lucky to get a point but Preston are in good form so could be a useful one. Bristol are at Preston next week - will be interesting!! 

Hull at home and Ipswich away and Millwall at home next 3 games, all very winnable and id expect 9 points if we’re at it, that would put us in a great position. 7 pts would be ok but we need to get good points from this run of games. 

30 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree, premier ram. I was also at the game (my first for three weeks) and it wasn't our brightest hour attacking-wise but I was so pleased with the way we kept going and defended until the final whistle. We really are quite resilient under Frank and I like it.

I watched the game back on tv yesterday, and if either of Harry's chances had gone in we'd have come away with a win, deserved or not. Throw in that the influential Pearson could and should have had his marching orders too and you realise there are  fine margins in football, as I always say.

Interesting that last season we would have set up to do just that, defend for most of the game and try to sneak a goal or two on the break. 

This season, we expect more possession and attacking, but when we have more of the ball we are also vulnerable to the counter-attack. We aren't going to play like WBA away every week, with our young team, injuries and inconsistent form will play a part. Preston played well, but we really dug in to keep that clean sheet. 

Incidentally, I was chatting with Duane Holmes' mum after the game as we shared a hand-dryer. I didn't know it was her, but said what a good defensive performance it was. She seemed worried about the fans ' reaction to Duane playing at full back, and in general really. Before I had really cottoned on who she was I was saying what a good job he'd done and how well I thought he'd been playing generally since he came into the team and how I loved to see him running at defences. She seemed genuinely pleased for the feedback and it occurred to me how difficult it must be to be a relative and have to listen to some of the guff the fans come out with at matches. As you know, I had a similar conversation with David Nugent's mum earlier in the season.

Imagine if that had been Tom Lawrence's mum on Friday! Although she wouldn't have heard anything negative from me, some of the abuse on Friday was so over the top. I then came on here to similar, and posters trolling every thread to have a dig at him. I know people say that it doesn't matter what we say on a message board and that we don't take it to games, but of course people do and it influences the mindset of them and the wider fan base, who start looking for his next 'mistake' and waiting to pounce again. Lawrence's treatment by a section of our fans reminds me very much of Cyrus Christie' s.  Some will not be happy until they have driven him away. 

I really dislike the attitude of some of our fans who seem to expect we have a right to watch Barcelona-type football every week. 

I just wanted to explain why I hadn't commented much on the board this weekend. It's not felt like a pleasant place to be. 

Ang you are a legend , a rose tinted spectacle wearer like myself apparently , in some peoples eyes anyway , yes the abuse for Lawrence disgusts me as well , im pleased you mentioned the abuse is the same as what Cyrus suffered , hes had the last laugh though hasnt he , look where hes plying his trade at the minute , on behalf of myself , yourself and all the other fans on here who can see the effort Frank and the lads are putting in to make this club ultimately successful , COYR

34 minutes ago, angieram said:

angieram, you are wasted on here! I think you should be seconded to be RK's taxi driver, visit the players' families regularly as a fans' ambassador (and make sure Harry is not messing up Mason's kitchen) and sit next to Frank on the bench on matchdays to keep him on the right lines! As for the ladies loos...!

1 hour ago, angieram said:

If this doesn't stop the morons who shout abuse think again, then nothing will.

Even if you are totally jealous of footballer's wealth and subscribe to the boring opinion of you're entitled to say what you like as you paid your money, surely you can appreciate that your rubbish is detrimental to the team.

I was really glad Holmes was at fullback as he looked great there the other week. Imagine if players go into situations like that knowing they won't get 100% support from the fans.

You know why we have our Feb/March meltdowns each season? It's because of moaning, abusive 'supporters'. They are the constant.

Great post @angieram as usual.

On 02/02/2019 at 13:26, Derby blood said:

First of all Holmes played at  back not left back, for me our centre backs were excellent, which they have been most of the season, our problems have been at full back, Malone can not defend and is out of position far to much, think Cole will start next game, also Bogle will be a great player some day but at the mo has lost his confidence, and also allows to many balls into our box, hope Wisdom gets match fit, and get back to the form we all know he is capable of, when we get King in the middle and Mount back fit we will be fine in that department, also need Marriott back as soon as possible, get our best 11 out there, then we could beat anyone, at this level.

Give it two games and Wisdom will be getting slated. 

I swear reading some of the stuff on here were asking the team to play in the Colosseum .  Next time I'll look out for Mel Morris in the director's box wearing a purple toga giving Tom Lawrence the thumb up or down at the end of the game .   The grief player's get here is no better or worse than any other club.  Been to Evertons ground a few time's as my mates a fan - just the same there.

Archived