Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Saity said:

Trying to keep things in perspective here

Last nights performance has triggered some slatings but with the players available last night I actually think we worked hard enough to earn a point

As someone has already mentioned it was very reminiscent of the performances under Rowett and thank god we are not seeing that week in week out but under the circumstances with the players available it was a good result and a game where we still came closer to winning it than PNE.......We got a point and did a job and Keogh and Temori were magnificent and Holmes although didn't get everything right is a real find for us and will only get better.

On the performance last night I have to say that poor old Nugent is a spent force and no one can doubt his endeavour but it just isn't there anymore. Lawrence for me was poor last night and should've done much better on two occasions , the one where Wilson slid a pass through and he spooned it wide and the other chance where Wilson gave it to him as he cut in from the left after a mistake in midfield where we robbed it off one of there players , his first touch was so poor and if had been better was a great chance to go past his player and get in on goal.

I think Evans was ok and some critisicm is a bit harsh on him as he basically did what he was supposed to do and that was protect the back four and i can't remember them coming through the middle of us much if at all last night.

But getting things into perspective and with the side available we did well to get a point and still could've won it if Wilsons 2 efforts had gone in.

As Scarlet Pimpernel has mentioned though , just look at the side when all of our players are fit and you see a different picture.

Hudds , Mount and King and with Marriott back up top looks a side and there's plenty to play for this season in what is still Franks first season.He mentioned last night that there is a lot to do and he's right as it did look like due to financial circumstances that we were a bit makeshift last night but we still kept a clean sheet and got something so we move on....looking at the team below i have no reason to doubt we have a chance as we are right in the mix and although i'd probably swap Bogle for Holmes that side is decent so don't worry too much about a difficult away game in which we hung on a bit against opponents who are on form and with a depleted side missing some players that would've made a real difference.... 

The summer will be interesting as some of the shackles should be off and we can shift out most of the players Frank doesn't want on permanents and he can reshape us a bit more with players he wants but in the meantime lets get right behind the lads as i think our support is key.....we are in the mix and have a chance.....COYR

below as posted by The Scarlet Pimpernel

First team when all fit:

...................... .. ROOS......................... 

BOGLE.... KEOGH..... TOMORI.... COLE

.................... HUDDLESTONE............... 

...... KING............................. MOUNT

WAGHORN.......MARRIOTT......WILSON

Think you have got to fit little Duane in there somewhere - he’s our best footballer imo. ?

53 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I know what you mean, and actually agree... but it does feel weird!  We really shouldn't have enjoyed that!

I "enjoyed the game", almost as if I was a neutral, for some reason. 

I think it was more to do with their attacking frailties rather than our masterful defending, but despite the constant onslaught, I couldn't see us losing... in fact I even expected a late winner from us... "Typical Derby" sort of thing.

It could be argued we "Did what we had to do", and I'll take that for now.  Just a shame we could drop out of the PO spots today, but then we did well not to do so during the Xmas/New Year period, so all in all, I'll take what we earned last night, and simply look forward to an improvement for the next game.

Agree with all this ... the seasons a marathon not a sprint, we were down to the bare bones last night and I’m sure Frank’s message to the dressing room beforehand was:

‘right lads we need to dig this one out, hold what we’ve got, take the point (to nick a winner would be great but DON’T lose) let’s bank the point, get off home & move onto the next game’. 

Wouldn't want to see this on a regular basis but sometimes needs must. Thought the work rate from the lads was excellent. Good to see another side to our game & strangely throughout the whole 90 mins I never had a feeling we were going to concede.

9 hours ago, Topram said:

Don’t see what Malone did wrong at all

I just couldn’t justify putting him in the good category. Gave there winger too much space to cross all game and never crosses it when he should. Didn’t play terribly but wouldn’t say he had a good game.

there were far worse players than him as per original post

10 hours ago, Kernow said:

It was basically a big forum get together anyway. I definitely saw @Mafiabob as he’s basically a celebrity so was easier to spot!

Had my minders with me, I have access to anywhere and keep the riff raff support away from me ?

43 minutes ago, Archied said:

Fair option but I can also see the thinking of pairing him with Holmes on the right given Holmes is out of position , I know there’s wisdom but I’m not sure what’s going on with him ,he’s been poor for some time 

Don't think he'd have been much worse than Holmes at RB. Playing him and dropping him can't be doing his confidence much good either. 

Holmes at RB looked no better or worse than Anya would have done tbh! 

For me Waghorn through the middle (Nuge has been nothing more than a fly buzzing about for some time) and Bennett wide would have been a better choice and a better fit. TBH I'd rather have seen Harry up there, he's our main goal threat atm!

Lots of constant tinkering from FL with players that aren't 'total football' level, not gonna work imo.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't think he'd have been much worse than Holmes at RB. Playing him and dropping him can't be doing his confidence much good either. 

Holmes at RB looked no better or worse than Anya would have done tbh! 

For me Waghorn through the middle (Nuge has been nothing more than a fly buzzing about for some time) and Bennett wide would have been a better choice and a better fit. TBH I'd rather have seen Harry up there, he's our main goal threat atm!

Lots of constant tinkering from FL with players that aren't 'total football' level, not gonna work imo.

Quick question. 

How much happier than last season are you. .

Just asking. 

Why get a pundit for this game who managed one and a bit seasons for us? Why not get someone relevant to both clubs, or at least very relevant to one? Derby fans don't want to hear from him, and Preston fans don't give a poo. 

When they get Nigel Clough and we play Forest, that's a good choice. Steve Mac when we play Boro would be another good one. Someone who has a connection to both clubs.

What I'm getting at is, I'd have preferred to see Billy Davies last night rather than the Snake.

18 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I just couldn’t justify putting him in the good category. Gave there winger too much space to cross all game and never crosses it when he should. Didn’t play terribly but wouldn’t say he had a good game.

there were far worse players than him as per original post

Fair enough it was a hard game to judge really as it was pretty boring 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Quick question. 

How much happier than last season are you. .

Just asking. 

I think it's much easier this season to settle for 'a good attempt', mainly based on the managers (lack of) experience. But also based on the way we play. After the initial honeymoon period of a new manager I'm not sure whether FL has what it takes, but it will be an interesting 2nd half - hope it's exciting too, but... ? #COYR 

8 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Why get a pundit for this game who managed one and a bit seasons for us? ...

What I'm getting at is, I'd have preferred to see Billy Davies last night rather than the Snake.

It's tv - they hope for controversy, lol. But I'd rather hear from Wee Billy too. Like it or not what he did took a lot of doing.

20 minutes ago, Full Screw said:

Holy F-word such negatively.

That was 100% a game we would have lost this time last year. Or the year before that or the year before that or the....  You get the idea.

Believe it or not the squad would have gained some confidence from not losing that one.

That’s nice except that Preston battered us last year too but we managed to snatch a win. Therefore to say that’s the type of game that we would have lost last year isn’t correct.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think it's much easier this season to settle for 'a good attempt', mainly based on the managers (lack of) experience. But also based on the way we play. After the initial honeymoon period of a new manager I'm not sure whether FL has what it takes, but it will be an interesting 2nd half - hope it's exciting too, but... ? #COYR 

Is it Frank that hasn’t got what it takes or external forces beyond  his control. 

He his doing fantastic in my eyes within his working parameters 

PS That said he hasn’t made all the correct calls. 

Archived