Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Wow its a miracle how we got away with that,Bogle back next game lets hope Marriott and Mount are back,we might even see Cole,we aint going nowhere keep turning out performances like that out,no disrespect to Preston who i thought were pretty good tonight as we were way off the pace and it makes you wonder what is done in training all week

Not a single shot on target is an absolute joke

Unfortunately Lampard said after the game that Mount is out for a few weeks. Marriott has an ankle problem, but lets hope nothing serious.

Just now, BurtonRam7 said:

Don’t understand the criticism Evans is getting on Twitter. I love Hudds but I thought Evans held his own tonight.

Based on your photo with the League Two trophy, I think I saw you tonight. I wasn’t 100% because you looked relatively sober...

Glad to get a point tonight, although Wilson's 2 cracking shots was the pick of the chances that deserved a goal, thought Keogh was class again tonight, and Tomori and Roos were also very good, can not wait to see Marriott and Mount back in, and also think King will be a very important addition to the team. 

Agree Nugent was anonymous but what service did he get? Seems unfair to single him out. We had a single corner in the second half  and that was after he went off. Not a lot to work with. 2 shots from Wilson aside and a lovely Wilson through ball to Lawrence...apart from that I am struggling to think of any move we put together. Think Marriott would have struggled too if given the same support as we offered upfront tonight.

20 minutes ago, Norman said:

Yup, did Preston cut us open through the middle? Nope. He does his job covering Bryson when he presses with Nugent. Covers when Bryson has been bypassed, pushes them out wide when we are outnumbered in the middle.

Not sure what people expect. It wasn't him giving the ball away. It's not him letting the crosses come in. Winds me up. He was playing with a winger and a passenger. 

He's Eustace with a bit of pace. Get some ball players around him and he is what we need. 

He wasn't the worst performer tonight, got some decent foot ins and tackles as we were overun in the second half, but for me you need more from someone in that position. On the ball he offers little and has little presence about him. Nowhere near as good as Eustace yet.

As for Preston cutting us open through the middle? They play over the top and wide. No coincidence Stockley has more goals than any player in the top 4 leagues from headers. They thrive on getting crosses in rather than playing through the middle. And it's fair to say knowing you're playing Derby, the incentive to get it wide is huge because you'll know you'll get your crosses in. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

See this is interesting. I think Holmes' performance was pretty similar to Lawrence's when in possession but the difference in how they both apply themselves during the game is the big point for me. One played with his head completely down and the other with it up searching for a team-mate. They both were as wasteful as each other but there's a reason people warm to Holmes in comparison with Lawrence. 7 is kind for Holmes but as you mention there are factors why he probably deserves the rub of the green for this match, positively wasteful is as kind as I'll be. 

I like Tom, I really want him to push on but until he starts putting the team in-front of his solo intentions then he'll get nowhere, along with us. Is he in some sort of contest because his mate Harry has come in and outshone him? Multiple times where there's a better option on and it isn't utilised. It's a shame as there is a player in there somewhere.

Plus Holmes has been here 6 months. Didn't start for a while, come from Scunthorpe and playing at this level for the first time.

And tonight he's playing out of position.

Lawrence is halfway through his 2nd full season. I didn't give him any stick last season. But always said this season is a big one for him. And in the main he's been poor.

Said after the Southampton game. Brilliant assist, brilliant goal. But if you're gonna stick your fingers in your ears towards the fans, make sure you back it up. He doesn't at all.

Think that's what infuriates me the most is because you see and know what he's capable of, but we dont see it anywhere near enough.

Is Lawrence being held back by his total lack of chin?

I think that's what the person next to me was asking when he bellowed "duck off Tom Lawrence, I hate your crap shooting, brain dead intelligence on the rare occasions you attempt a pass, complete inability to beat a man or even to look like you will, the constant bottling of winnable challenges, and the tendency to look busy and keen to help out defensively while actually doing duck all to help, and worst of all you don't even have a chin'.

I tapped him on the shoulder, and told him that if that's how he supported his team, we'd be better off without him. I thought it might kick off, and could tell he was sizing up his chances, but in the end he shrugged his shoulders and disappeared.

Only to reappear a few minutes later with another of my beers from the fridge, and carry on his ranting.

1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Oh mate I was gone. I kept moving about so hard to locate me. Where did you see me and when? I was in a big green coat.

You were indeed. I shouted “One Can Burton” but you didn’t look so I guessed it wasn’t you.

I can fully understand peoples frustrations with Lawrence but with 'flair' players in the Championship inconsistency is natural, if it wasnt they would be in the Prem. Do people really want us to resort back to the workhorse type of wingers we had in Ward Russell & Weimann? Because I dont and imo thats exactly what Bennett is. 

Archived