Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Am not buying this we're a side in transition line to try to mitigate poor performances what are we actually transitioning to? And we'll only know that when we get there and find out it could be worse than the current status quo.

Transitioning to our loanees going back to their parent clubs and leaving us in the mire.

Well that was tragic.

Should be glad of a point and clean sheet I guess.

Even being penned in I can't see the logic in subbing Waghorn. We should stop them dominating by playing and giving them problems. Bennett for Nugent far more sensible, or Wisdom at full back to allow Holmes to cause a nuisance further up. Struck me Frank was scared, he had no faith in us winning so parked the bus and hoped for a break or free kick. 

This is where the poor January transfer window has knock on effects. Not only are we light in a couple of areas we could have really used the buzz of a new attacker or something coming in for this one. Maybe we should have flogged Tom to give freedom to mix it up a bit. 

That said we're not short of forwards, especially out wide, and Waggy, who is in form, should have been front and centre from the off.

Sad to say Wisdom appears to look demoralised. Rather than rise to the challenge and play his way in he's disappearing. Can't say I blame him in one way, as basically a winger was preferred ahead of him. This seems a lot more of the WBA and Norwich player than the one we had several years ago.

No future here unless he gets a solid run later in the season due to injuries. Very few of any of Rowetts line ups will be left by August.

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

I agree, I think Evans is getting some unfair stick at the moment for not being a slick ball player like Huddz or Thorne. What he does do is a lot of the dirty stuff that doesn't get noticed, breaking up play, covering those out of position, etc.

He's a good old "water carrier".

A fairer comparison would be with John Eustace than Huddz or Thorne.

Some games will suit Evans and other games will suit Huddz/Thorne.

Yup, did Preston cut us open through the middle? Nope. He does his job covering Bryson when he presses with Nugent. Covers when Bryson has been bypassed, pushes them out wide when we are outnumbered in the middle.

Not sure what people expect. It wasn't him giving the ball away. It's not him letting the crosses come in. Winds me up. He was playing with a winger and a passenger. 

He's Eustace with a bit of pace. Get some ball players around him and he is what we need. 

Few comments...

It was ducking freezing, I’ve just got feeling back in my toes.

Roos making a real claim for that shirt. Keogh exceptional. I’ve heard he got MOTM from Sky and it was fully deserved. I love Tomori more and more as each game passes. There was a young kid down the front with a banner - didn’t make out what it said - but Tomori came over, passed his shirt over, signed it, and posed for photos. He embodies the spirit of the club and what I want our players to be on the pitch and as individuals.

Far from the easiest game to watch on our behalf, the second half was a matter of when, not if. But we defended heroically and getting a point and a clean sheet at Deepdale is a very good result. Win your home games, don’t get beaten away etc etc...

It’s a shame our attackibg threat was almost non-existent but it would have been a completely different story if Wilson’s magic left foot was an inch more accurate on two occasions. With players like him in our side, we can snatch victory from any game.

Have to be careful what you say because it's almost like if you criticize a player then theyre a scapegoat. They're not, they just aren't playing well. If people think Lawrence, Bryson etc are scapegoats it's because they consistently aren't good enough. I'll probably get some stick, but I'll give some ratings:-

Roos - 9. Everything he had to do he did really well. Kicking good, saved well. Carson might struggle to get back in.

Holmes - 7. I'm generous here. But I'm giving him a 7 because he's out of position, worked hard and tried to offer us a threat going forward. Plugged away.

Keogh - 8. He was brilliant tonight. 

Tomori - 8. Same as Keogh. Defended really well.

Malone - 6. Worries me how much room he gives the winger and doesn't stop crosses coming in.

Evans - 5. Thought he broke up the play well. But his passing was aimless and poor. Long balls up to Nugent. He's more mobile than Huddlestone. But Huddlestone is a much more calming influence.

Bryson - 4. Another game where I couldn't tell you what he did. Midfield was all over the place. Struggling to see what he brings to the side and actually think the midfield looks better when he's not in it.

Wilson 7- Gets a 7 for those efforts first half alone and the fact that if anything remotely decent was gonna happen tonight it was coming from him.

Waghorn. 5- Did ok. Nothing really poor but nothing good either.

Lawrence. 3- Another 3/10 performance from him. He don't look interested. Flatters to deceive constantly. But don't worry he scored a good goal against Southampton a month ago and stuck his fingers in his ears. Please tell me when he's played well this season. How he gets picked is a mystery. I'll get stick here. But if he wants to stick his fingers in his ears then back it up fine. I'll happily hold my hands up if he plays well. But he isnt. Playing on the wing. Doesn't beat a man. Doesn't cross. Doesn't defend.

Nugent 4- Offers nothing. But not helped by the lack of service from.

Next weekend we'll hopefully have most of the squad back except Mount.

Roos, Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone, Huddlestone, King, Wilson, Waghorn, Holmes, Marriott.

Already looks better.

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Sorry don’t know what hyperbole means.

Bennett is not good enough for me, that’s it. If you don’t like my opinion, move on to the next post. 

Hyperbole means gross exaggeration. I think that claiming Bennett shouldn't be anywhere near the squad is a bit much, considering we usually have some lads from the academy filling out the bench.

I disagreed with your opinion. If you don't like it being questioned, don't post it on a public forum.

In defence of Evans, I can see why Frank chose him tonight. He’s far worse in possession than Huddlestone, obviously, but he is more mobile and more combative. He covered more ground than Huddlestone would have and put in more tackles. Unfortunately whenever he gets the ball he seems to panic a bit and rushes his decision causing mistakes.

I think Frank knew that we would struggle for control against their midfield, so Evans playing may have been an attempt to get into them a bit more, then use our other players to break.

I’m not saying he had a good game, but I can understand why his qualities may have been on paper, a better fit for this sort of match.

I said before the game I would take a draw but after that second half I see it as 2 points dropped. I wouldn’t say it was poor finishing from us it was just you had players and keeper in right positions to block. Our full strength team could be pushing for play offs so I wouldn’t see it as a bad point for yourselves and neither do we see it as a bad point even though we could have nicked it.

Good luck to Frank Lampard’s Derby for rest of season ? 

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

First team when all fit:

...................... .. ROOS......................... 

BOGLE.... KEOGH..... TOMORI.... COLE

.................... HUDDLESTONE............... 

...... KING............................. MOUNT

WAGHORN........ Marriott....... WILSON

Six players who didn't take part tonight. We got a point we move on. UTR

That’s what the team SHOULD be, but Lampard will still try and get Bryson and Lawrence in there

My biggest concern is inconsistency we’ve played Man Utd Chelsea and Southampton and looked like we belong easily at that level then we have performances like today and Leeds where we have looked a million miles away from a team able to think about playing at a higher level ... so does this mean Frank understands how to play premiership football and can’t work out championship level .... will King and Cole be enough to improve play (that’s sounds like we should sign a player called Nat) .... a point is a good thing but I’m not feeling too positive about February especially with our propensity for under performing in the second half of the season and our best players still struggling .... I’ve tried to remain as positive as I can and not single out any players ... I feel Tom Huddlestone completely transforms our team ... Midfielders we had on show today are not the solution I’m afraid we were hugely ineffective in the midfield and our striker options are to be honest laughable no pace again upfront our loan players have been our best players without Mount Wilson and Tomori we’d have been mid table at best this season ... Marriott should get better given more chances ... if we were to get promoted have we got the ability to stay there

Archived