Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

Tonight was worrying. Preston despite there current run of good form aren’t a top championship side and we made them look good. West Brom and Boro away when we looked hungry and pressed seem like a far distance away. Like some have asked what are we transitioning too?

The last time I remember us playing well and really rolling over a side was the 2nd half v Brum back in November. Since then we’ve grounded out results a bit like last season. 

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are a side in transition, because of what happened 3 years ago. Next season we can proceed with a rebuild and with a healthy budget. This season is a case of adhering to ffp and at the same time trying to fluke promotion. 

This transfer window has shown that we are right on the edge, ffp wise. 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

That’s what the team SHOULD be, but Lampard will still try and get Bryson and Lawrence in there

I still think Lawrence has something I just get the impression he needs to be told to get his head up and be more composed with his passing/shooting he does look dangerous running forward unfortunately with no composure it’s akin to a chicken with its head chopped off

5 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Have to be careful what you say because it's almost like if you criticize a player then theyre a scapegoat. They're not, they just aren't playing well. If people think Lawrence, Bryson etc are scapegoats it's because they consistently aren't good enough. I'll probably get some stick, but I'll give some ratings:-

Roos - 9. Everything he had to do he did really well. Kicking good, saved well. Carson might struggle to get back in.

Holmes - 7. I'm generous here. But I'm giving him a 7 because he's out of position, worked hard and tried to offer us a threat going forward. Plugged away.

Keogh - 8. He was brilliant tonight. 

Tomori - 8. Same as Keogh. Defended really well.

Malone - 6. Worries me how much room he gives the winger and doesn't stop crosses coming in.

Evans - 5. Thought he broke up the play well. But his passing was aimless and poor. Long balls up to Nugent. He's more mobile than Huddlestone. But Huddlestone is a much more calming influence.

Bryson - 4. Another game where I couldn't tell you what he did. Midfield was all over the place. Struggling to see what he brings to the side and actually think the midfield looks better when he's not in it.

Wilson 7- Gets a 7 for those efforts first half alone and the fact that if anything remotely decent was gonna happen tonight it was coming from him.

Waghorn. 5- Did ok. Nothing really poor but nothing good either.

Lawrence. 3- Another 3/10 performance from him. He don't look interested. Flatters to deceive constantly. But don't worry he scored a good goal against Southampton a month ago and stuck his fingers in his ears. Please tell me when he's played well this season. How he gets picked is a mystery. I'll get stick here. But if he wants to stick his fingers in his ears then back it up fine. I'll happily hold my hands up if he plays well. But he isnt. Playing on the wing. Doesn't beat a man. Doesn't cross. Doesn't defend.

Nugent 4- Offers nothing. But not helped by the lack of service from.

Next weekend we'll hopefully have most of the squad back except Mount.

Roos, Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Malone, Huddlestone, King, Wilson, Waghorn, Holmes, Marriott.

Already looks better.

Agree with you almost entirely. However...

I think I see the problem with Evans. He's not a Thorne/Huddlestone type defensive midfielder. He's more of a regista. Fits a 3 in midfield but desperately needs to play with a playmaker in order to be effective. An extreme comparison would be a player like Thiago Motta. Tidies up constantly, gives to players around him, plays nice little passes into the two midfielders around him. Looks good if you've got someone like Marco Veratti and Adrien Rabiot next to you. Not when you've got Craig bloody Bryson.

Would be really interested to see what a midfield three of Evans, Huddlestone and Holmes would look like. Evans can break up play, give to Huddz who can either make a play or thread through Holmes to carry the ball forward.

I think there might be a player there, if he's got the right players around him. And I did start this game questioning what on earth he does to deserve a starting place!

3 minutes ago, Silko said:

My biggest concern is inconsistency we’ve played Man Utd Chelsea and Southampton and looked like we belong easily at that level then we have performances like today and Leeds where we have looked a million miles away from a team able to think about playing at a higher level ... so does this mean Frank understands how to play premiership football and can’t work out championship level .... will King and Cole be enough to improve play (that’s sounds like we should sign a player called Nat) .... a point is a good thing but I’m not feeling too positive about February especially with our propensity for under performing in the second half of the season and our best players still struggling .... I’ve tried to remain as positive as I can and not single out any players ... I feel Tom Huddlestone completely transforms our team ... Midfielders we had on show today are not the solution I’m afraid we were hugely ineffective in the midfield and our striker options are to be honest laughable no pace again upfront our loan players have been our best players without Mount Wilson and Tomori we’d have been mid table at best this season ... Marriott should get better given more chances ... if we were to get promoted have we got the ability to stay there

Or sign old King Cole, who was a merry old soul. 

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

In defence of Evans, I can see why Frank chose him tonight. He’s far worse in possession than Huddlestone, obviously, but he is more mobile and more combative. He covered more ground than Huddlestone would have and put in more tackles. Unfortunately whenever he gets the ball he seems to panic a bit and rushes his decision causing mistakes.

I think Frank knew that we would struggle for control against their midfield, so Evans playing may have been an attempt to get into them a bit more, then use our other players to break.

I’m not saying he had a good game, but I can understand why his qualities may have been on paper, a better fit for this sort of match.

The midfield was non-existent all game. If that was the plan, it worked.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

In defence of Evans, I can see why Frank chose him tonight. He’s far worse in possession than Huddlestone, obviously, but he is more mobile and more combative. He covered more ground than Huddlestone would have and put in more tackles. Unfortunately whenever he gets the ball he seems to panic a bit and rushes his decision causing mistakes.

I think Frank knew that we would struggle for control against their midfield, so Evans playing may have been an attempt to get into them a bit more, then use our other players to break.

I’m not saying he had a good game, but I can understand why his qualities may have been on paper, a better fit for this sort of match.

To be honest I just didn't notice him. I had to remind myself he was playing by looking at the line up!

7 minutes ago, Anon said:

Hyperbole means gross exaggeration. I think that claiming Bennett shouldn't be anywhere near the squad is a bit much, considering we usually have some lads from the academy filling out the bench.

I disagreed with your opinion. If you don't like it being questioned, don't post it on a public forum.

Thanks for the lesson, next time just put gross exaggeration instead of trying to be all hip. He’s consistently failed at this level over several years including being on loan in the lower divisions. I would rather have someone from the academy pushing for a place than someome who obviously can’t make the grade. Don’t worry we can sing “he’s one of our own” to the youngster coming through. 

4 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Holmes - 7. I'm generous here. But I'm giving him a 7 because he's out of position, worked hard and tried to offer us a threat going forward. Plugged away.

See this is interesting. I think Holmes' performance was pretty similar to Lawrence's when in possession but the difference in how they both apply themselves during the game is the big point for me. One played with his head completely down and the other with it up searching for a team-mate. They both were as wasteful as each other but there's a reason people warm to Holmes in comparison with Lawrence. 7 is kind for Holmes but as you mention there are factors why he probably deserves the rub of the green for this match, positively wasteful is as kind as I'll be. 

I like Tom, I really want him to push on but until he starts putting the team in-front of his solo intentions then he'll get nowhere, along with us. Is he in some sort of contest because his mate Harry has come in and outshone him? Multiple times where there's a better option on and it isn't utilised. It's a shame as there is a player in there somewhere.

Archived