Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I wonder if I'm missing something with this.

I thought the acting was first-rate as was the cinematography. But it was slower than Kenny Burns after 12 pints, and 3 steak pies. 

We watched to the end of episode four I think. Did it get better? Or do we just disagree what better is?

Nah, it's just down to taste, isn't it? We can't all like the same stuff, even if there's lots of shows on which there's a deal of common ground. Personally, I liked this show a lot and Scott's performance in particular, but it is unusually languid and it won't be for everyone. Even speaking as someone who enjoyed it, I don't think it's something I'd revisit.

Couple of docos watched recently the first being The Real Line of Duty. It deals with a particularly notorious era within the Met where a 'firm within a firm' royally took the piss, which in turn led to the modernisation of police on police evidence gathering. Sadly, it's not a terribly well put together 3 parter, but for all that the filming is run of the mill, the story told is quite incredible.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27125496/ 

Free to view with Prime

The Secret Army is a documentary about a lost film showing real life IRA commanders at work. It's another eye opener for sure, but I'll say no more to avoid spoilers, other than it's another fascinating account and well worth a look.

BBC iPlayer

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

John Simm is wonderful in it.

So wonderful, I've decided to watch it myself again. 3 episodes in, it's still brilliant (as is the music)

5 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Watching Life on Mars at the minute, really enjoying it. Ashes to Ashes will be next.

Enjoyed this.  As I recall not so impressed with Ashes to Ashes.  Perhaps because I remember the time, the cultural interest wasn't so engaging.

13 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Watching Life on Mars at the minute, really enjoying it. Ashes to Ashes will be next.

Never watched it at the time, but remember how widely acclaimed it was. Watched it a couple of years ago and was generally unimpressed compared to more recent dramas. We are used to dramas today with complex multi-layered plot lines and high production values. Life on Mars felt very dated by comparison.

15 hours ago, Jubbs said:

That came out the year after we moved to the US, and I've never seen it.

When I saw it on Netflix (or was it iPlayer) the other night, I suggested it on the back of an IMDb 8.4, and Mrs Badger vetoed it.

Instead, we started Scoop, which is ok halfway through, but not loving it.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Never watched it at the time, but remember how widely acclaimed it was. Watched it a couple of years ago and was generally unimpressed compared to more recent dramas. We are used to dramas today with complex multi-layered plot lines and high production values. Life on Mars felt very dated by comparison.

I should have read your post first.

Mrs Badger said it looked really dated. And I said, it's because it was set in the 70s ffs.

You make a great point

Having said that, we've only watched The Sopranoes and Spiral in the last couple of years, and both are in my top 10 of all time.

So, not sure if I agree with your point tbh.

19 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Last episode, even the last five minutes, are excellent. Some series completely screw up the finale and leave you feeling you've been a bit cheated, Ashes To Ashes is one that didn't.

On 21/04/2024 at 10:02, Bob The Badger said:

Baby Reindeer.

It's super complex but incredibly well written and acted.

Drugs, male rape, comedy, stalking and transsexual dating are a rare mix. 

Four episodes down and not sure how many there are, but it's the best brand new series we've watched this year. 

Derby/League One (2023/24 season)

Just finished it. Found it a bit heavy on so many levels. 

To the point that the rape wasn't the most disturbing or distressing. However it's at that point that I started to find it hard to watch. 

I rushed through to the end to get it done with. 

It's good but I won't recommend it! Probably not felt so drained since 13 Reasons Why (which is unwatchable for me). 

It was just helplessly sad

Mrs. ramit and I just finished Ripley on Netflix. 

I appreciate that it is not for everyone, the slow pace is however intentional, it is a psychological attack on the viewer, who finds him or herself asking, why am I rooting for this psycho at the same time that I want him punished?  If that was the point of the books, then well done production crew, director, camera operators, set designers and actors, we were indeed left asking questions of ourselves.

Edited by ramit
typo as usual