Watchable telly

dog

So I've just watched The Last Dance. I know we don't all like the same things but for my part no other sports documentary / film / whatever comes even remotely close. It's a stunning piece of documentary making and while the first couple of episodes were great, the balance was so riveting that I ended up watching the last 7 back to back, with only food and comfort breaks, both being very brief. Folk can disagree all they like, but for me, it's absolutely monumental.

Big issue now is how to follow that up, so I'm going to watch The Vietnam War which is apparently superb. We'll see...

We finished binge-watching 'Lost' last night.

I think over the last three series, we were both just going through the motions, wanting to see if it could get any sillier.

(Narrator: it did).

Half an hour ago, we started watching 'Breaking Bad' - probably the pilot episode.

So far so good - I'm still watching it. In fact, I'm loving it.

59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We finished binge-watching 'Lost' last night.

I think over the last three series, we were both just going through the motions, wanting to see if it could get any sillier.

(Narrator: it did).

Half an hour ago, we started watching 'Breaking Bad' - probably the pilot episode.

So far so good - I'm still watching it. In fact, I'm loving it.

Gets better and better, literally the only drama I've seen that requires a conscious effort to breathe in places.

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Big issue now is how to follow that up, so I'm going to watch The Vietnam War which is apparently superb. We'll see...

Very tough watch, very honest too. You expect it, well I did, to be pro-USA, but it was way more honest than that. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Very tough watch, very honest too. You expect it, well I did, to be pro-USA, but it was way more honest than that. 

How do you mean tough watch? Did you not enjoy it or do you mean it was uncomfortable viewing at times?

Agree totally about the honesty of it all. MJ would have known it would not always, or even often, paint him in a favourable light, off the court at least. 

4 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

How do you mean tough watch? Did you not enjoy it or do you mean it was uncomfortable viewing at times?

Agree totally about the honesty of it all. MJ would have known it would not always, or even often, paint him in a favourable light, off the court at least. 

I assume he means The Vietnam War?

In which case, its definitely not a fluff piece. The narrator's voice started to grate a little on me and I didn't feel the pace was always right...but overall a really good series. Not something for the casual viewer, but a serious and rounded in-depth perspective  I found very interesting. 

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I assume he means The Vietnam War?

In which case, its definitely not a fluff piece. The narrator's voice started to grate a little on me and I didn't feel the pace was always right...but overall a really good series. Not something for the casual viewer, but a serious and rounded in-depth perspective  I found very interesting. 

Cheers mate! Was late and clearly brain didn't fathom @Mostyn6 was talking about that and not The Last Dance ? I've actually started watching Sherlock Holmes instead - the one with Benedict Cumberbatch. It's quite good fun!

31 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Cheers mate! Was late and clearly brain didn't fathom @Mostyn6 was talking about that and not The Last Dance ? I've actually started watching Sherlock Holmes instead - the one with Benedict Cumberbatch. It's quite good fun!

Ha. Change of gears there. 

Sherlock starts off great, I just felt it loses its way later on and becomes a bit gimmicky and 'showy' rather than concentrating on character and story. 

I binged Jeffrey Epstein, Filthy Rich. Really not interested in royals and generally the lives of the rich and famous...but I love a good conspiracy/real life intrigue like Making a Murderer, The Staircase, Don't Mess With Cats. 

Really, really well made documentary. Heart breakingly candid and honest disclosures from so many women. Laid bare how power corrupts and insulates. So hard to hear how women are wrestling with huge guilt and see the way their actions as innocent teenagers was warped and twisted. 

Didn't know much before but in the context of the series Prince Andrew is a kinda side issue who must feel very exposed now and it blows my mind how he has acted until even very recently. 

17 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Has anyone else sat through the third series of Killing Eve and thought WTF? 

Absolutely - loved the previous two series, but this latest one is all over the place. Also I've really struggled with the 'over the top' Russian accents - at times it was as if they were talking in a foreign language....

Watched the Epstein Doc and overall and I thought it was all information that’s out there in the public anyway. I’ve certainly heard better podcasts on it, this felt like more of an overview. Basically ended up feeling sad about the victims and with a hell of a lot of questions about people who worked on the island.

Whilst scanning through for something else to watch I chanced upon Larry Charles Dangerous World Of Comedy. Charles (whos probably best known for directing Borat) travels to Iraq, Somalia, Liberia and other places to learn about comedy in the worlds most dangerous regions. It’s not a comfortable watch and there’s a few scenes that are a bit uncalled for (there’s a video of a soldier being shot on the floor from point blank range in ep2) but it’s mostly excellent and there’s not been much talk about it. Worth a watch but it’s not for everyone I guess.

Trial By Media (Netflix series) 

Wow! Talk about being relevant to current times (the civilian /cop death and subsequent riots in US). Episodes 2 and 3 have so much that could have been said in the last week its almost impossible to comprehend. 

On 29/05/2020 at 15:43, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Well I’ve already seen Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Oz and Mad Men.

Did try Game of Thrones but don’t think my cup of tea, so unsure where else to go.

Boardwalk Empire

Atlantic City in the 20's... prohibition, Al Capone, speakeasies, corruption, great cast. Think there was 5 series in the end.

Maybe a notch down from The Wire and Sopranos, but similar level to Mad Men and Breaking Bad for me.

I'm watching Life on Mars at the moment - the slightly Sci-Fi element I find stupid as it's really not my genre but entertaining enough with the 70's cop theme and Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister) is a laugh.

34 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Boardwalk Empire

Atlantic City in the 20's... prohibition, Al Capone, speakeasies, corruption, great cast. Think there was 5 series in the end.

Maybe a notch down from The Wire and Sopranos, but similar level to Mad Men and Breaking Bad for me.

I'm watching Life on Mars at the moment - the slightly Sci-Fi element I find stupid as it's really not my genre but entertaining enough with the 70's cop theme and Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister) is a laugh.

Will definitely try Boardwalk at some point after The Wire. Already knew of it of course and do like Buscemi and Graham, good suggestion.