Watchable telly

dog

12 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

DEVs is my current thing... Seem to recall you were unimpressed? So far.. I am watching and it looks nice and the cast is good but its not gripping me.

It's clever and quite intriguing in some aspects. Just felt it tried to hard, though I appreciate that's a fairly meaningless and subjective appraisal. I knew where it was going pretty quickly and my interest just ebbed away as a consequence.

For balance, it's still a deal more interesting than the bulk of TV shows and I'm pretty picky anyway! 

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

There's a massive plot hole in that all these other gangs relied on their protection and say so to operate, yet they were spectacularly poo at the protection side.

Dialogue, plot, action and believability were beyond awful, yet it's still the best thing I've seen during lockdown.

Switch the brain off, and enjoy the nonsense would be my advice.

You've explained it way better than I did ? Have you watched The Raid / The Raid 2? If you enjoyed GoL there's a good chance you'll like them too. Bonkers and a lot of fun if rather gratuitous!  

Just now, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

You've explained it way better than I did ? Have you watched The Raid / The Raid 2? If you enjoyed GoL there's a good chance you'll like them too. Bonkers and a lot of fun if rather gratuitous!  

No I haven't, are they films?

1 minute ago, ketteringram said:

Anyone got any comments on Bosch? Seems to have been mentioned a couple of times, but not really commented on. Seems to rate highly. I realise straight away that I'm six seasons behind!

Watched most of it a few years back, maybe seasons 1- 4. 

Good solid detective/cop series. Nothing ground breaking but he's a good lead. Very true to all those genre of books for me, well crafted and interesting but a bit too predictable and steady to ever really stay with you. 

54 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Watched most of it a few years back, maybe seasons 1- 4. 

Good solid detective/cop series. Nothing ground breaking but he's a good lead. Very true to all those genre of books for me, well crafted and interesting but a bit too predictable and steady to ever really stay with you. 

I rated it higher than that. Thought it was better than most cop shows and the long running stories that pan seasons kept it even more interesting. Opening tune is great and makes me want to visit LA one day. Anything else set in LA just puts me off.

Edited by ariotofmyown

Nearly at the end of series 1 of This Is Us on Amazon. Bit different to what I normally watch buy really like it. Mostly avoids been cheesy and is really emotional in places. Most the characters are pretty likeable too, which is different to most TV I watch!

20 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Nearly at the end of series 1 of This Is Us on Amazon. Bit different to what I normally watch buy really like it. Mostly avoids been cheesy and is really emotional in places. Most the characters are pretty likeable too, which is different to most TV I watch!

We've just binge watched all 3 seasons that are available. It's a bit confusing at times with the way it switches backwards and forwards in time but we all enjoyed it and are waiting for the fourth season.

21 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I rated it higher than that. Thought it was better than most cop shows and the long running stories that pan seasons kept it even more interesting. Opening tune is great and makes me want to visit LA one day. Anything else set in LA just puts me off.

Don't disagree at all. Its definitely superior to comparable cop shows. The acting, the music, the setting too. But I could watch a couple of episodes and find my attention slacking a little and then a few days later be scrolling through trying to figure out where I was up to. 

2 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Anyone got any comments on Bosch? Seems to have been mentioned a couple of times, but not really commented on. Seems to rate highly. I realise straight away that I'm six seasons behind!

I personally think it's one of the best programmes ever made. The mood, acting, script, plot, setting, soundtrack are all brilliant. I literally cannot stop watching. So when a new season airs, I literally start at 10am on a Saturday and completely binge. I will go back and watch them all again once they finish.

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'm just getting to the last episode of series one of Unforgotten. 

Massive change of pace from Gangs of London, but a superbly crafted, nuanced story with an exceptional cast.

I’d say series 2 and 3 are just as good, if not better.

On 18/05/2020 at 18:23, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's clever and quite intriguing in some aspects. Just felt it tried to hard, though I appreciate that's a fairly meaningless and subjective appraisal. I knew where it was going pretty quickly and my interest just ebbed away as a consequence.

For balance, it's still a deal more interesting than the bulk of TV shows and I'm pretty picky anyway! 

I thought it started off interestingly enough and was stylish. 

Two or three episodes in I started to lose faith and I realised it had no 'soul', I just had no feeing about anyone. I have no idea how you knew where it was going! It meandered around going nowhere. 

I actively found it annoying from about episode 5 or 6 and almost endured the end. Dialogue was getting slower and more knowing in a bad way. Long pauses, arty music and lighting with people I felt nothing for. Sorry, not for me. 4 or 5 out of 10.

13 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I thought it started off interestingly enough and was stylish. 

Two or three episodes in I started to lose faith and I realised it had no 'soul', I just had no feeing about anyone. I have no idea how you knew where it was going! It meandered around going nowhere. 

I actively found it annoying from about episode 5 or 6 and almost endured the end. Dialogue was getting slower and more knowing in a bad way. Long pauses, arty music and lighting with people I felt nothing for. Sorry, not for me. 4 or 5 out of 10.

Yeah, pretty much sums it up. Style over substance would be my 3 word review.

On 18/05/2020 at 18:33, reverendo de duivel said:

No I haven't, are they films?

Sorry. Missed this. See links below.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1899353/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2265171/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

The second movie pretty much picks up where the first one finishes. Both contain the most bonkers fight scenes ever filmed IMO.

NB - Look out for Hammer Girl ?

Edited by 86 Schmokes & a Pancake

3 episodes into White Lines and enjoying it.

Some really good acting and takes me back to my clubbing days.

Netflix pitched hard that it was from the makers of Money Heist which almost stopped me watching.

I think I'm in a very small minority, but I thought Money Heist was dreadful and should have been called Plot Flaws Starring Bad Actors and Co-starring Preposterous Script).