Watchable telly

dog

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Well, that's Breaking Bad done and dusted. Absolutely superb and the person who said "It gets better and better" - you are so right.

4 left for me, what a program. Walter White has to be one of the all time best characters on TV. 

Godless on Netflix, starring our very own Jack O'Connell as a mysterious loner arriving in town. A damn fine performance he gives too. 

Jeff Daniels steals the show though as the seriously evil leader of the outlaw gang. 

Dont be put off if you don't normally like westerns. 

If you like shows like  Peaky Blinders you'll probably like this. 

17 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Now just watched the Salisbury poisonings on BBC.

Blimey- didn’t realise just how serious that all was!

Murder normally is quite serious.

Murder in the Car Park

an incredible 3 part documentary into the murder of Daniel Morgan - a private detective - in the car park, of a pub in south London, exposes criminality, Police corruption, the seedy role of News Corporation and the News of the World etc etc. It exposes the absolute and utter corruption of the Met from the mid 80s for at least 20 years as they deliberately blocked independent inquiries, sabotaged their own investigations, handed out an enhanced pension and early retirement to the corrupt Investigating officer who subsequently became a partner in the victims detective agency.

There are so many twists and turns. Fact is stranger than fiction. 

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Murder in the Car Park

an incredible 3 part documentary into the murder of Daniel Morgan - a private detective - in the car park, of a pub in south London, exposes criminality, Police corruption, the seedy role of News Corporation and the News of the World etc etc. It exposes the absolute and utter corruption of the Met from the mid 80s for at least 20 years as they deliberately blocked independent inquiries, sabotaged their own investigations, handed out an enhanced pension and early retirement to the corrupt Investigating officer who subsequently became a partner in the victims detective agency.

There are so many twists and turns. Fact is stranger than fiction. 

Started it. Really compelling. Ta

Fire in Babylon is a brilliant documentary about the rise of the West Indies cricket team during the seventies and eighties.

You don’t need to like cricket. This is about a team sick to death of the know your place attitude which prevailed. 

They became aggressive in their cricket and the rest of the world didn’t like it. 

Watching batsmen without helmets being hit of the head and body, you wonder how no one got killed.

The interviews are electric, including contributions from Bunny Wailer. Bob Marley was an inspiration to the team.

If you want to see a competitor, Viv Richards owns the pitch when he’s on it. Terrifying!

In March 2000 Laurie Flynn and I led the Guardian with a lengthy investigation of a secretive anti-corruption unit inside Scotland Yard called the Untouchables.

Four years later London’s Metropolitan Police commissioner revealed to the House of Commons that he had up to 250 bent cops in his ranks.

It was a startling public admission. The figure was based on ‘intelligence’ gathered by the Untouchables.

But after seven years and millions of pounds the Untouchables had in fact only secured nine convictions for serious corruption. None of them were senior officers.

The COS explained that the case (The murder Of Daniel Morgan in the car park) represented

"the worst mess they had ever seen";

that the real mischief in the case lay in the initial investigation of 1987–88; that the role of ex-Detective Sergeant Sid Fillery in that investigation lay at the heart of the mischief; that a number of other police officers around him had sought to protect him; 

Sid Fillery played a key role in the initial murder inquiry before he was required to withdraw from the murder squad for reasons of personal involvement with the primary suspect, Jonathan Rees. Fillery was given the opportunity to manage the first interview under caution with Rees, and to take possession of key incriminating files including Daniel's diary, which has never since been found. To this day Fillery and Rees remain business partners in what was Daniel's private detective company.

the Police Complaints Authority, supervised a 1988–89 investigation into the case by Hampshire police, which is said to have looked into and eliminated the possibility of police involvement in the murder or its aftermath. Therefore, it was on the watch of the Home Office that the terms of reference of that Hampshire investigation were changed, secretly and without the knowledge of the family, midway through the inquiry. Having started out

"to investigate allegations that the police were involved in the murder of Daniel Morgan and matters arising there from",

the inquiry was required after the change to proceed

"in the furtherance of prosecuting the suspects Rees, Goodridge (an associate of Rees), Wisden (Goodridge's girlfriend) and anyone else for the murder of Daniel Morgan",

without any reference to police involvement.

The very fact that the terms of reference of a so-called independent inquiry carried out by an outside police force were changed during the course of that inquiry is cause for great concern, and almost of itself warrants a judicial inquiry.

From House of Commons Hansard debate

20 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I tried to get into Better Call Saul a few years ago but I just found it a bit boring. Worth another go?

Definitely. 

Saul is a complex character, living in the shadow of his illustrious brother and just trying to survive on his wits and cunning. 

Mike and Kim are great characters too. 

I think overall I enjoyed it more than Breaking Bad. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I tried to get into Better Call Saul a few years ago but I just found it a bit boring. Worth another go?

I found it a bit slow to start with but I stuck with it and thought it improved a lot (especially without Chuck - I don’t want to give the storyline away) but never reaches the heights of Breaking Bad.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just to complete the set of contradictory feedback... 

Whilst watchable I never felt Breaking Bad was in the league of the Sopranos, The Wire, Gomorrah anyway ...but felt Saul was one of its better characters so I watched a season or so of BCS. 

Didnt find it terrible, just felt it didn't have enough meat on the bones to warrant a series of its own.