Watchable telly

dog

21 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Half way through The Morning Show on Apple TV

It's very good, though whether it quite deserves an 8.4 on IMDb I'm not so sure.

Jennifer Aniston is good but Steve Carell is outstanding.

Slight digression but check out The Big Short if you've not seen it. Headline stars are Brad Pitt and Christian Bale but Carell absolutely nails it. It's a really good movie in any case.

I have almost watched every notable series going now. 

If I haven't seen them, I have watched an episode or two and got bored. There are so many continually springing up I don't know which of the lesser lights are worth bothering with now. 

Just finished 'Spotless' an English sorta French take on Dexter I suppose really (one of my very favourite series). Quite engaging, outwardly dark comedy thriller which is surprisingly watchable in a lightweight way. 

Edited by Chester40

10 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I have almost watched every notable series going now. 

If I haven't seen them, I have watched an episode or two and got bored. There are so many continually springing up I don't know which of the lesser lights are worth bothering with now. 

Just finished 'Spotless' an English sorta French take on Dexter I suppose really (one of my very favourite series). Quite engaging, outwardly dark comedy thriller which is surprisingly watchable in a lightweight way. 

I'm running out of stuff now. I'm halfway through The Vietnam War but after that all I've got queued is Westworld 2/3 which I'm not even sure I wanna watch. Work is dead right now and my insomnia is back with a vengeance so I can murder an entire series in a day and some, no bother at all  ?  

On 30/05/2020 at 21:32, Eddie said:

We finished binge-watching 'Lost' last night.

I think over the last three series, we were both just going through the motions, wanting to see if it could get any sillier.

(Narrator: it did).

Half an hour ago, we started watching 'Breaking Bad' - probably the pilot episode.

So far so good - I'm still watching it. In fact, I'm loving it.

Lost starts brilliantly, good writing means you think you know what's going on for a few episodes until another revelation. I liked the flashback formula as a way of revealing character info too. However, it does get to a point where it is just silly, and you lose some of the character development for more ridiculous storylines. Glad I've finished it, would probably only watch the first 2 seasons again.

20 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Currently being subjected to Hey Duggee which my 4 month old seems to like. This is my future for the next few years isnt it.

As far as kids TV goes, there isn't really a better programme to be subjected to. I used to enjoy watching that with my 2 when they were younger. Look out for the Apocalypse Now moment in one of the episodes, if you've not already seen it!

26 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Started 'Stranger Things' a couple of nights ago, we've just finished season 2. The first season was really good, the second not as much but still enjoyable. Looking forward to what they are going to do with the third season (and beyond)

I enjoyed season 1 but only watched the first three episodes of season 2. 

38 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm running out of stuff now. I'm halfway through The Vietnam War but after that all I've got queued is Westworld 2/3 which I'm not even sure I wanna watch. Work is dead right now and my insomnia is back with a vengeance so I can murder an entire series in a day and some, no bother at all  ?  

I just finished The Dictators Rulebook on Sky if you like a bit of history.

Alternatively, just starting episode 4 of The Swingers (you’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting something as raunchy as the name suggests) on 4OD. It’s in Danish which, like Dutch, isn’t the most soothing of languages in my opinion, but I’m finding it strangely compelling.

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I enjoyed season 1 but only watched the first three episodes of season 2. 

It is a lot slower, takes a while to get going. Not sure it manages introducing new characters as well as it could. Still a good season and looking forward to the third season starting tonight

Thanks to those who recommended Giri / Haji. Superb series. Hopefully a second series is on the horizon. 

For those that like  slightly  quirky, whimsical, simple and uplifting viewing, I thoroughly recommend Lodge 49. It's got it all! 

I'll admit I hasn't seen seen The Wire Shield, Sopranos, Breaking Bad and all of those supposed all time greats. But for me - and me only - nothing will come close to Lodge 49, Cobra Kai (The original Karate Kid 30 years on) and Shine on Harvey Moon ?

The first has real heart.

The second I stumbled on and was blown away! A must for those who recall Daniel son. 

The third.. Just threw it in. Just remember the the theme tune back in the day hehe 

On 31/05/2020 at 09:37, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Cheers mate! Was late and clearly brain didn't fathom @Mostyn6 was talking about that and not The Last Dance ? I've actually started watching Sherlock Holmes instead - the one with Benedict Cumberbatch. It's quite good fun!

Enjoyed Sherlock at the time it was on. The second series was it's best I think. Especially the first one of that series.?

5 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Enjoyed Sherlock at the time it was on. The second series was it's best I think. Especially the first one of that series.?

Yep, I binged my way through them all in no time. They're daft but good fun and I thought Cumberbatch and Freeman were well cast in their roles. It's light entertainment but properly entertaining nonetheless. 

51 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

40 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yep, I binged my way through them all in no time. They're daft but good fun and I thought Cumberbatch and Freeman were well cast in their roles. It's light entertainment but properly entertaining nonetheless. 

It's strange that they are not highly regarded by many. I'm with you two, enjoyed the show and the way some episodes left you guessing in a clever way. The 4th season moved into tension more than being clever, which lost me a bit. But I think they're well made. 

6 minutes ago, r4derby said:

It's strange that they are not highly regarded by many. I'm with you two, enjoyed the show and the way some episodes left you guessing in a clever way. The 4th season moved into tension more than being clever, which lost me a bit. But I think they're well made. 

I think there was an earlier dramatisation which was very highly thought of and set the bar quite high. This one stretched the bounds of credibility most often but it was a well made, often funny and engaging show, least to my mind. Can't please everyone I suppose!

Right! Going to bite the bullet and give GoT another go. Didn't take to it at all but it keeps being recommended to me by pals so will try to approach it with a more open mind perhaps.

Seem to remember slating it on a thread on here as being nothing more than 'Tolkien with tits', which now that I think about it, ought to be right up my street ?

4 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Right! Going to bite the bullet and give GoT another go. Didn't take to it at all but it keeps being recommended to me by pals so will try to approach it with a more open mind perhaps.

Seem to remember slating it on a thread on here as being nothing more than 'Tolkien with tits', which now that I think about it, ought to be right up my street ?

Definitely the first series is the worst. 

Budget, scale, scope grows each series. 

Later series don't follow the books so are less complicated and focus on the 'good' bits. Stick with it. 

Edited by Chester40

On 07/06/2020 at 16:53, Paul71 said:

Space Force with Steve Carell, not great reviews but i really enjoyed it.

Watched the first 2 episodes (try to watch more than a pilot to get a better idea) just didn't click with it. Steve Carell is funny and usually like his comedy, but there were too many swings without connections. A shame

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, r4derby said:

Watched the first 2 episodes (try to watch more than a pilot to get a better idea) just didn't click with it. Steve Carell is funny and usually like his comedy, but there were too many swings without connections. A shame

Yeah i can guess its not for all.

On 04/06/2020 at 15:17, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Slight digression but check out The Big Short if you've not seen it. Headline stars are Brad Pitt and Christian Bale but Carell absolutely nails it. It's a really good movie in any case.

Yeh that was good. Very understated and underrated.