Watchable telly

dog

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Season 4 is as close to perfect as a TV show can get...

Re. The Wire. I know I am getting a bit deaf in my old age, and am currently too vain to want to buy/wear a hearing aid, but I am struggling at episode 6 series 1 to fully understand what is being said far too much of the time. Anyone else struggled with the African American dialects or is it just me, and I should go and get my ears sorted?

Finally finished series 5 of Better Call Saul the other day. All round one of the stronger series but thought the last episode was left even more open ended than it perhaps ought to have been.

The woman who plays Kim Wexler does a superb job.

Only another year or 2 to wait for the next series now.

Started watching Ozark... couldn't get into it and gave up after 4 episodes - can't help but see Jason Bateman in anything other than his Arrested Development guise.

Might rewatch The Sopranos for the 50th time.

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Re. The Wire. I know I am getting a bit deaf in my old age, and am currently too vain to want to buy/wear a hearing aid, but I am struggling at episode 6 series 1 to fully understand what is being said far too much of the time. Anyone else struggled with the African American dialects or is it just me, and I should go and get my ears sorted?

It is definitely hard to understand at first and I ended up putting subtitles on a few times, particularly the first series as it features Omar, Stringer, Bodie et al. a lot.

Found I picked it up after a while. Or maybe they toned it down a touch in later episodes as a lot of the characters weren't really actors before it so maybe they learnt to project a bit more.

Think it's also made harder by being set in Baltimore which definitely has a distinctive accent of its own.

Edited by JoetheRam

Just now, JoetheRam said:

It is definitely hard to understand at first and I ended up putting subtitles on a few times, particularly the first series as it features Omar, Stringer, Bodie et al. a lot.

Found I picked it up after a while. Or maybe they toned it down a touch in later episodes?

Yeah 1st series is a bit hard to understand at times but much easier from season 2 onwards

22 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I now wear hearing aids ☹️ but I pretend to myself they are a kind of Men In Black/Jack Bauer type earpiece I get Planet saving messages on ?

It was a big deal for me because by getting them I was conceding I had slipped into old fart territory, not nice when you’ve always considered yourself to be the village’s equivalent to Keith Richard.

I wouldn’t be without them now BUT...I think the way audio is mixed by certain television programmes, I’ve been told it’s to cater for surround sound, whether that’s true ?‍♂️ Anyway, I was watching a Simon Reeve documentary on Australia the other night and I had trouble hearing the dialogue at certain points although no one had touched the volume but there was definitely a sound fluctuation.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I only ever watched 2 episodes. Totally agree. Couldn't understand the dialog. 

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

It’s been a while since I watched it - although I’m considering a series rewatch - so if I did have a problem understanding some of the dialogue, I can’t remember. Just stick with it, you’ll be well rewarded...

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Just got to the end of the 2nd series of Unforgotten/Unforgivable/Unsolved.

Enjoyed it so much, I've watched every episode twice over to make sure I didn't miss anything.

There is a third series of this available on some medium or other - watched it about 3 weeks ago perhaps on Netflix or ITV HUB. Arguably the best of the three series. Hope you can find it.

c.c. @86 Schmokes & a Pancake

5 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Rev and @JoetheRam  dat subtitlesshit is boss. You bluds eva down Littlehampton manor I lay on some puff and biatches and tings.

My hearing is perfect, but I watched The Wire with subtitles because it bugs me if I feel I am missing bits of potentially important dialogue. The accents / words are definitely sometimes hard to follow through the whole series. I found the same with series 1 of True Detective too. 

Having watched Narcos, El Chapo, Gomorrah etc all with subtitles anyway, I sometimes find it relaxing to not have to strain to catch what is being said. 

6 hours ago, Chester40 said:

My hearing is perfect, but I watched The Wire with subtitles because it bugs me if I feel I am missing bits of potentially important dialogue. The accents / words are definitely sometimes hard to follow through the whole series. I found the same with series 1 of True Detective too. 

Having watched Narcos, El Chapo, Gomorrah etc all with subtitles anyway, I sometimes find it relaxing to not have to strain to catch what is being said. 

One of my bezzers said the same thing about The Wire. She's from daarn saarff too so it's not a regional thing. 

7 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Luther is ok but it's a steep drop from The Wire IMO. That said, most of everything is, so there's that ?

Well I’ve already seen Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Oz and Mad Men.

Did try Game of Thrones but don’t think my cup of tea, so unsure where else to go.