Watchable telly

dog

On 07/06/2020 at 11:09, JoetheRam said:

They've released the last 4 or 5 series of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown on Netflix recently. Great food/travel series if you want something on in the background/easy watching.

Off the top of my head, the only two celebs who I was genuinely upset at when they died were him and Robin Williams. Loved both those guys.

Having watched pretty much every series going, I am watching old 'SAS Who Dares Wins'. 

I am getting on a bit but am pretty fit for my age..so I like to imagine how I would do in selection process. I admit I'm physically struggling some days because of football injuries...but you know... still... 

.I mean.. .I'm suppose I'm not great at heights though, and I am a pretty poor swimmer.  Rubbish at press ups too. I get really grumpy and weak if I don't eat. I would hate to share a room with 20 other blokes, am not great at leading people when I'm tired and I get stressed if I'm shouted at and would probably lash out . 

But other than that.... 

Edited by Chester40

On 30/05/2020 at 20:59, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

So I've just watched The Last Dance. I know we don't all like the same things but for my part no other sports documentary / film / whatever comes even remotely close. It's a stunning piece of documentary making and while the first couple of episodes were great, the balance was so riveting that I ended up watching the last 7 back to back, with only food and comfort breaks, both being very brief. Folk can disagree all they like, but for me, it's absolutely monumental.

Big issue now is how to follow that up, so I'm going to watch The Vietnam War which is apparently superb. We'll see...

Based on that, and a good few other reviews, I have just finished The Last Dance.

As someone with zero interest in basketball, I have to say it's pretty much perfect. I've not seen a better documentary. I think having no narration is brilliant. I need to get Scottie Pippens voice on my Satnav.

7 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Based on that, and a good few other reviews, I have just finished The Last Dance.

As someone with zero interest in basketball, I have to say it's pretty much perfect. I've not seen a better documentary. I think having no narration is brilliant. I need to get Scottie Pippens voice on my Satnav.

Glad you enjoyed it KR. Like yourself, I was no basketball fan prior to watching it but even without a deep understanding of the game, it was easy to appreciate the game clips. That said, the narrative is such that it really doesn't matter anyway.

I think MJ must be one of the most driven men ever to play sport, yet despite his incredible success, I got the impression he still feels unfulfilled and certainly a little bitter. Shame really.

There's a relativly new documentary channel on sky.

I watched the Marco Pantani one last night.  Some classic Giro and TDF footage. 

Next up is the story of West Indies 1970's cricket team 

Theres quite a few sport ones that look good, (Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods, American Football) and some political ones as well. 

Well, that's Breaking Bad done and dusted. Absolutely superb and the person who said "It gets better and better" - you are so right.

So, what to watch next? I think the missus is keen on stuff like Spooks and anything John Le Carre inspired, so it might be The Americans for the next mega-binge watch. Any other suggestions? We have both Prime and Netflix.

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well, that's Breaking Bad done and dusted. Absolutely superb and the person who said "It gets better and better" - you are so right.

So, what to watch next? I think the missus is keen on stuff like Spooks and anything John Le Carre inspired, so it might be The Americans for the next mega-binge watch. Any other suggestions? We have both Prime and Netflix.

Better Call Saul - the obvious follow-up to Breaking Bad and fills in a lot of the back stories.....(oh and the Breaking Bad film "El Camino")

Edited by Gaspode

58 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The Americans is pretty good for the real world/80s retro feel - and shares a sort of "good people doing bad things because they feel the ends justify the means" thing with Breaking Bad. Not quite such high end production values as BB though, so fewer majestic shots of rolling desert clouds etc

19 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Better Call Saul - the obvious follow-up to Breaking Bad and fills in a lot of the back stories.....(oh and the Breaking Bad film "El Camino")

Agree about Better call Saul although, I seem to remember it started slowly.

For me, EL Camino, was one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Why not give Fargo a go? both the film and the series. I can recommend both.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Somebody recommended The Americans to me ages ago. Can't remember if it was someone on here or not. Anyway, what they said was something like........it's really worth watching, and gets better, if you can get through the first couple of series.

So, anyway, we watched it, and found the opposite to be true. Really enjoyed it for the first three series. I think we are halfway through season 4 (out of 5). We haven't watched it now for months. I don't think we will go back to finish it off. Just got so bored with it, which is a shame, as like I said, it was really good.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Bosch, Patriot, Man in the High Castle, Sneaky Pete, Hap and Leonard. 

Im currently watching The Handmade’s Tail. Riveting. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Bosch, Patriot, Man in the High Castle, Sneaky Pete, Hap and Leonard. 

Im currently watching The Handmade’s Tail. Riveting. 

Seen all of the first three - all brilliant. I actually found myself despising Sneaky Pete - obviously I couldn't get down off my moral high horse. Thanks for the others (I did watch the few episodes of the first series of The Handmaid's Tale, but my wife hated it).

Edited by Eddie

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Seen all of the first three - all brilliant. I actually found myself despising Sneaky Pete - obviously I couldn't get down off my moral high horse. Thanks for the others (I did watch the few episodes of the first series of The Handmaid's Tale, but my wife hated it).

If you didn’t stick with Sneaky Pete, I’d say you’ve missed out on some very clever storytelling and entertaining twists and plot surprises. In season two, Bryan Cranston himself (Breaking Bad) produces and directs some episodes and has a significant role. 

I know they’re not critically acclaimed, but the Oceans 11,12,13 have the kind of entertaining plots akin to Sneaky Pete.