Watchable telly

dog

On 17/02/2022 at 21:48, 86 Hair Islands said:

Anyone watching 1883? Waiting until the whole show has been released as m instinct is that it could be a belter, but interested to hear what others already watching it think.

So close to being the best year but doesn't quite make it. Or is it like a 68, you do me and I owe you one? (Awaits the wrath of @angieram)

For those of you who are watching or have watched, Reacher on Amazon.

Did it get any better after the first two episodes?

After these two I'm thinking dreadful acting, hammy, cliched script and just seems like a vehicle for the lead to get his shirt off and do a poor Robert Mitchum/Clint Eastwood impersonation.

I was really looking forward to this, but I'm super disappointed.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

After these two I'm thinking dreadful acting, hammy, cliched script and just seems like a vehicle for the lead to get his shirt off and do a poor Robert Mitchum/Clint Eastwood impersonation.

It remains cheesy and far fetched, and a bit hammy, but, its entertaining and as true to the books as you could hope for.

Nice scene with the lady officer with her shirt off to balance it out as well.......

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Thought the same tbh but I think it's probably a different viewing experience if you've read and loved the books, which I've not. Most who have love the series and it's currently #1 on the IMDB Most Popular Shows list so it's found its audience alright, so perhaps it's meant to be a 'fun ride' rather than anything more serious?

10 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

It’s been a bit up and down but Trigger Point had its best episode tonight…

Pleased to hear that - haven't watched the latest one and was wondering whether to bother as it had very quickly turned from a promising first episode into a pile of horse droppings....

On 20/02/2022 at 16:14, 86 Hair Islands said:

Thought the same tbh but I think it's probably a different viewing experience if you've read and loved the books, which I've not. Most who have love the series and it's currently #1 on the IMDB Most Popular Shows list so it's found its audience alright, so perhaps it's meant to be a 'fun ride' rather than anything more serious?

Sadly, I've read the book. I say sadly not because it was terrible, it was ok, but because both the series and the movie with Cruise are based on the only friggin book of his I've read!

That could detract too I suppose, in terms of me knowing the twists.

I have to say I'm dubious of the courtroom scenes without actually knowing if it could or couldn't happen like this, BUT overall and 4 episodes in, this is pretty damn good.

Solid acting, plausible storyline (other than potentially the aforementioned courtroom scenes) and believable characters.

Not quite sure why it didn't get more publicity other than potentially because it's largely an all-black cast.

On iPlayer and a solid Simon Coleman/10

On 16/02/2022 at 13:47, therealhantsram said:

Been watching This is Going to Hurt on iPlayer.

On ep 6 now. Would certainly recommend. Lots of dry humour, as we follow a junior doctor as he slowly falls apart under the stresses of working in the NHS.

Watched the first one last night and I have to say I haven't laughed so much in ages. The missus has worked in hospitals/NHS so she warned me that it was written by a doctor and I might not find it that funny. She was wrong.

Like a perfect mix of Green Wing and ER

Thanks for the tip

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I have to say I'm dubious of the courtroom scenes without actually knowing if it could or couldn't happen like this, BUT overall and 4 episodes in, this is pretty damn good.

Solid acting, plausible storyline (other than potentially the aforementioned courtroom scenes) and believable characters.

Not quite sure why it didn't get more publicity other than potentially because it's largely an all-black cast.

I seem to remember it had plenty of promotion on the BBC at the time.

Thanks for the reminder though. One I meant to watch & then Christmas got in the way.

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

"Electric Dreams" on Amazon Prime. Utterly superb - a series of films based upon the works of Philip K Dick.

Fella had a pretty remarkable imagination! Doubtless you already know this, but just in case, there's a good few Sci-Fi classics derived from his novels and short stories. Check out Total Recall (1990), Blade Runner (1982) and Minority Report (2002) if you've not already seen them.

7 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Fella had a pretty remarkable imagination! Doubtless you already know this, but just in case, there's a good few Sci-Fi classics derived from his novels and short stories. Check out Total Recall (1990), Blade Runner (1982) and Minority Report (2002) if you've not already seen them.

Have you seen A Scanner Darkly.  Could not make head nor tail what was going on in that bugger.  

In preparation for Stranger Things season 4 coming out soon (in 2 parts, the first in May) decided to watch through seasons 1-3 again. I forgot just how good the show is. Season 1 is excellent, just the right amount of episodes. Season 2 is shaping up to be the weakest of the 3 but still with some good ideas. Remember enjoying season 3 so looking forward to reaching that.

If you’ve not watched it, I’d highly recommend it.