Watchable telly

dog

18 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I watched it to the point where most of the characters were annoying and then gave up. A few decent bits along the way, but a missed opportunity by trying to turn it into some form of space soap opera....

When you find that viewers are hoping that the robot kills all of the cast it suggests that the programme makers pitched it wrong....

Budget seemed decent so it was a lost (see what I did there) opportunity to recreate a nod to the classic original series. ?

I enjoyed Anxious People on Netflix

If you like a Scandi-Crime drama that is more quirkily humourous/feel good than one that is gory, dark/bleak

I was hooked from the first scene where the policeman is getting his haircut when a bank robbery takes place over the road - he rushes out to attend the scene with a half-finished haircut while the hairdresser attempts to tidy it up as he tries to command the scene ?

11 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Just watched the first 3 episodes of Afterlife series 3. Crap. Like proper crap. Don't reckon I'll get through 3 more of these.

EFL/10

Do you like the first two series?

I've one to go but tome it's pretty much the same as the first two seasons.

The first episode I thought was poor and it has felt like the character has gone back to square one again and that Gervais wrote it because he could, but I've enjoyed it tbh.

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Do you like the first two series?

I've one to go but tome it's pretty much the same as the first two seasons.

The first episode I thought was poor and it has felt like the character has gone back to square one again and that Gervais wrote it because he could, but I've enjoyed it tbh.

I enjoyed the first two series but thought season 3 was poor by comparison, although i have the last one yet to watch.

Ricky Gervais is a guy it would be easy to slap.

He can be funny and insightful. He can also be very cruel and he’s too keen to shock. His excessive use of the C word has no place other than to offend. His portrayal of anyone not conventionally seen as attractive is hurtful. He portrays gay men as camp and somehow seedy. 

He will claim it’s just fiction, but he writes it time and time again. Every now and then his frustrations chime with my own and I’m with him but it’s not long before he says or does something I find abhorrent.

Just my opinion of course but that’s where I am with him.

On 17/01/2022 at 19:53, Anag Ram said:

Ricky Gervais is a guy it would be easy to slap.

He can be funny and insightful. He can also be very cruel and he’s too keen to shock. His excessive use of the C word has no place other than to offend. His portrayal of anyone not conventionally seen as attractive is hurtful. He portrays gay men as camp and somehow seedy. 

He will claim it’s just fiction, but he writes it time and time again. Every now and then his frustrations chime with my own and I’m with him but it’s not long before he says or does something I find abhorrent.

Just my opinion of course but that’s where I am with him.

I love him.

I do think that he used it too much in this series, but it can be incredibly effective is used sparingly. His line to the ginger kid in the last series used it brilliantly well.

He mocks his own looks on Twitter regularly.

A golden rule of comedy is you can mock people who fit into your *group*.

If you're Catholic you can mock Catholics. If you're Irish you can mock Irish people. And if you're ugly and overweight you can mock those people. If he was tall, athletic and good looking he couldn't get away with it.

Stay Close on Netflix

I used to love James Nesbitt, but I this is one (bad) cop drama too many for him.

A horrible script that plumbed the depths of implausibility and then went a bit deeper was worsened by acting that was more wooden than Pinocchio on stilts.

Cartoonish characters and a competition to see who had the whitest veneers in the cast (won by Sarah Parish in case you're interested) didn't help.

Izzard tried his best to drag this mess up to respectability, but to little avail.

Coming on the back of watching succession and the top drawer acting and clever script that had to offer I felt like I'd gone from driving a Ferrari to a milk float. A very old milk float at that.

Ravel Morrison/10

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I love him.

I do think that he used it too much in this series, but it can be incredibly effective is used sparingly. His line to the ginger kid in the last series used it brilliantly well.

He mocks his own looks on Twitter regularly.

A golden rule of comedy is you can mock people who fit into your *group*.

If you're Catholic you can mock Catholics. If you're Irish you can mock Irish people. And if you're ugly and overweight you can mock those people. If he was tall, athletic and good looking he couldn't get away with it.

Disagree. Golden rule of comedy is you can mock whoever you like. As long as it's funny. 

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Disagree. Golden rule of comedy is you can mock whoever you like. As long as it's funny. 

Well, of course you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just saying it's an unwritten rule of the majority of comics and writers. 

I'm not saying there's no exceptions, or it's applicable to satire, and I'm not saying you can't laugh at whatever you find funny. I'm just saying it exists. 

Possibly the greatest teacher of comedy Stephen Rosenfield talks about it in his book as does Jimmy Carr in Before and Laughter. 

There are very few bigoted attack comedians like Bernard Manning left. 

Really enjoying As we see it on Amazon Prime.

Drama about 3 characters with autism and their various traits and challenges.

Sosie Bacon plays their amazing carer/ mentor.

Sounds unappealing but it really is a beautiful piece, sad, enlightening and funny in equal parts.

Storyville: Final Account

On Iplayer.

It's interviews with surving SS officers about their experiences of the Holocaust. 

Powerful stuff.

I think the two that stand out are the ex-guard who is questioned by a neo-Nazi youth who has obviously fallen for the ideas. The way he puts his point across is so moving.

Also the ex Death's Head member who essentially refuses to believe that Hitler should be held accountable and his incredible loyalty in the face of all evidence to the ideas that he was obviously fed from a young age.

Raises some harrowing points about what it means to be a perpetrator. 

Edited by JoetheRam

On 22/01/2022 at 22:18, Bob The Badger said:

Well, of course you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just saying it's an unwritten rule of the majority of comics and writers. 

I'm not saying there's no exceptions, or it's applicable to satire, and I'm not saying you can't laugh at whatever you find funny. I'm just saying it exists. 

Possibly the greatest teacher of comedy Stephen Rosenfield talks about it in his book as does Jimmy Carr in Before and Laughter. 

There are very few bigoted attack comedians like Bernard Manning left. 

Bernard manning is/was the best stand up comedian ever. 

Oh , and before all the snowflakes self combust do your homework on the type of man Bernard really was . 

A kind hearted, very generous, humble , devoted family man. 

His stage persona was just an act , telling “jokes” and making people laugh on a night out. And he was the best there has ever been at doing it . RIP Bernard . 

On 13/01/2022 at 11:15, Stive Pesley said:

I enjoyed Anxious People on Netflix

If you like a Scandi-Crime drama that is more quirkily humourous/feel good than one that is gory, dark/bleak

I was hooked from the first scene where the policeman is getting his haircut when a bank robbery takes place over the road - he rushes out to attend the scene with a half-finished haircut while the hairdresser attempts to tidy it up as he tries to command the scene ?

Interesting. I read the book and found I couldn't relate to all the self loathing 'anxious' characters in it. I guess in TV form it probably lacks all that introspection so will give it a go. 

Edited by therealhantsram