Watchable telly

dog

16 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Next on my watchlist due to start tonight having just finished Ozark.  Read all the books so good to hear.  Tom Cruise as Reacher was laughable considering he's nearly a foot shorter than the character. 

I thought the films were ok as standalone thrillers, but they weren't Jack Reacher.

Finished The Responder last night.

Best thing we've watched since Time and maybe even better than that.

British/BBC drama at its best.

Fabulous acting, perfect pace, gritty and at times. highly amusing dialogue, really interesting characters and a seemingly realistic look at what it can be like being a cop working a run down drug-riddled area of a biggish city.

David Nish/10

17 hours ago, Sed said:

Big fan of the Jack Reacher books,wondered if anyone had watched the series on Prime..I thought it was superb 

I've read 15 of the books, and am still making my way through the list. Though I'll probably stop when I get to the end of the ones written solely by Lee Child. 

Generally enjoyed the show. Though I think the fight scenes were ridiculous. 

I'd certainly watch the second series. 

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

I've read 15 of the books, and am still making my way through the list. Though I'll probably stop when I get to the end of the ones written solely by Lee Child

Generally enjoyed the show. Though I think the fight scenes were ridiculous. 

I'd certainly watch the second series. 

A wise move - the ones co-written by his brother are hugely inferior - poor plots, poor characters, and generally dull.....the latest is called Better Off Dead - would have been better if Lee Child had killed off the character if he couldn't write them himself.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

A wise move - the ones co-written by his brother are hugely inferior - poor plots, poor characters, and generally dull.....the latest is called Better Off Dead - would have been better if Lee Child had killed off the character if he couldn't write them himself.

Agree, they're vastly inferior and don't feel like the original Reacher books at all. Not long ago finished The Sentinel which my wife and parents also read: all of us agree the ones with Andrew Child aren't a patch. I doubt I'll jump to read more.  Much prefer Scott Mariani's Ben Hope series. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Just started watching "Shooter" on Netflix.

Spellbinding, like I thought "Designated Survivor" was until they made one too many series.

Really enjoyed Designated Survivor.  Till they decided the FBI had only one agent who had to perpetually travel the globe making dumb as poo decisions, two thirds of the cast disappeared and it had no actual ending.  That last series was somewhat pants.   Still not as bad as Lost mind.  6 years of my life watching that.  Derbys admin issues are walk in the park compared to that plot. 

I recently watched Utopia. It's nearly a decade old now, but I missed it when it originally aired.

The conspiracy plot is kind of baalocks, but it's good fun baalocks that is superbly shot and directed with some fantastic performances from the actors.

I'm specifically talking about the UK version. There is an American remake that is horrendously bad, even by American remake standards.

On 11/02/2022 at 08:47, Bob The Badger said:

Finished The Responder last night.

Best thing we've watched since Time and maybe even better than that.

British/BBC drama at its best.

Fabulous acting, perfect pace, gritty and at times. highly amusing dialogue, really interesting characters and a seemingly realistic look at what it can be like being a cop working a run down drug-riddled area of a biggish city.

David Nish/10

Agree. This is top telly. 

Explores similar ground to Breaking Bad. Good guy, put in extraordinary situation. Does bad stuff. Does that make him a bad guy? Like how it blurs all the traditional good n bad lines you get in most cop shows. Some real depth of character.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I recently watched Utopia. It's nearly a decade old now, but I missed it when it originally aired.

The conspiracy plot is kind of baalocks, but it's good fun baalocks that is superbly shot and directed with some fantastic performances from the actors.

I'm specifically talking about the UK version. There is an American remake that is horrendously bad, even by American remake standards.

Watched it back then, very entertaining, different with some great scenes as I recall. Might have to watch it again now!

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

Just started watching "Shooter" on Netflix.

Spellbinding, like I thought "Designated Survivor" was until they made one too many series.

I enjoyed Shooter - got silly (or sillier) in the later series but still worth watching.

15 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Really enjoyed Designated Survivor.  Till they decided the FBI had only one agent who had to perpetually travel the globe making dumb as poo decisions, two thirds of the cast disappeared and it had no actual ending.  That last series was somewhat pants.   Still not as bad as Lost mind.  6 years of my life watching that.  Derbys admin issues are walk in the park compared to that plot. 

I think Designated Survivor was supposed to have another series which might have provided some sort of ending, but was dropped along with a number of other series as part of the Covid cull - or maybe it was just because most of the audience had given up by that point.....

I've watched both Seal Team and SWAT from the beginning - both turned from all action, entertaining shows to some form of dull soap operas where the action fills in small gaps between the latest disaster in the characters private lives (and in the case of of SWAT, between the latest right-on messaging about BLM)....probably why I've enjoyed the various Strike Back series - loads of action, and by the time one of the characters had some form of crisis they were simply killed off and replaced with a new body.....

Binged my way through The Responder which I liked quite a lot. Thanks @Bob The Badger for bringing that to our attention. 

Also watched the first episode of Euphoria. Two things occurred; firstly, it certainly pulls no punches at all and secondly, who'd have daughters ? Think I might persevere, despite it being a seriously uncomfortable ride at times. 

Anyone watching 1883? Waiting until the whole show has been released as m instinct is that it could be a belter, but interested to hear what others already watching it think.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands