what is the point of Lawrence

FindernRam

Thought he played ok last night to be honest and certainly no worse than Johnny Russell who i cant see how he managed to not get substituted himself last night.

Lawrence is still young and raw and needs time,sadly football is a game were you do not get that luxury.

Still given were we are in the league onwards and upwards 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread highlights everything that is wrong with Derby fans. 

Lawrence is a good player but as a young player he will have ups and downs, good spells and bad. That's what happens with them. They're young and learning. 

Take encouragement from the fact that he still wants the ball. That he stills tries to make things happen. And yes that makes him look greedy at times but all good wide players need that element. 

In typical Derby fashion a player gets singled out and picked at.

Arrogant. Doesn't smile. Greedy. 

How about we support of a player. The boy consistently as well for Wales and before his injury was a bright spark. I guarantee if he had come through the academy he'd be being touted as a future England International who will go to Liverpool any day for £50 million. 

But never let common sense and the truth get in the way of a good story... 

Gary doesn't actually rate him. It was Mel who agreed to spend £7 million on him. He has a clause in his contract that means he doesn't have to pass to team mates and, regardless of not being very good, he must take every single corner or Derby get fined by his agent. 

Wasn’t his night last night. But he’s quality. A lot more room for improvement a bit inconsistent but then most players like him are unless they’re the very best producing week in week out, when they would be in a top 6 prem side.

My mate was a brum last week, the spell after half time where we killed Birmingham, Lawrence was the man. He’s a match winner and he’ll get better.

1 hour ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

This thread highlights everything that is wrong with Derby fans. 

Lawrence is a good player but as a young player he will have ups and downs, good spells and bad. That's what happens with them. They're young and learning. 

Take encouragement from the fact that he still wants the ball. That he stills tries to make things happen. And yes that makes him look greedy at times but all good wide players need that element. 

In typical Derby fashion a player gets singled out and picked at.

Arrogant. Doesn't smile. Greedy. 

How about we support of a player. The boy consistently as well for Wales and before his injury was a bright spark. I guarantee if he had come through the academy he'd be being touted as a future England International who will go to Liverpool any day for £50 million. 

But never let common sense and the truth get in the way of a good story... 

Gary doesn't actually rate him. It was Mel who agreed to spend £7 million on him. He has a clause in his contract that means he doesn't have to pass to team mates and, regardless of not being very good, he must take every single corner or Derby get fined by his agent. 

Put better than I could have managed myself, bravo.

4 hours ago, Doodle said:

He seems to play much better away from home than at Derby at the moment. I suspect it’s the extra space he gets and less pressure, which enables him to perform better. Akin to the Nugent/ Winnall situation, it may be time to adopt the same with him and Weimann/Russell. I.E he starts away and the other 2 do at home. I will state though, I expect him to be a true asset in seasons to come. Just look at Ibe and Lingard. Neither looked great, when they first arrived. By the time Ibe left he was class and the other will be starting for England in the World Cup. Let’s not crucify the poor lad already FFS 

That's a great idea about starting him away there's always a bit more room for wide players Its clearly not really working for him at home Its either that or swap over to the right that's where he played his earlier games for us He got some great crosses in from there On the left he has to keep running into traffic because basically he's very one footed  Not having a go at the lad but something needs to happen at home because the opposition are pinning him on the touch line and he's hardly contributing 

9 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I don't normally have a go at individuals but why is Lawrence at Derby? He can't hit a deadball, tackles like Savage, rubbish decisions and hopeless shooting. Just using oxygen in my view 

Just to provide some balance, he's put in some very good free kicks and corners this season (how many games have you seen? If a lot then we are seeing a different player) and he's a winger not a defensive midfielder so tackling isn't supposed to be his forte.  He's a young player who is still developing so some of his decisions may not yet be perfect, granted. But he hits the target more often than not so 'hopeless shooting' is just a weird comment for me.  It's true that since his injury he's not yet firing and flowing again, but it's only been a few weeks.  

Maybe try supporting a young player who has just made a big money move, and who seems to give his all when he's out there.  Saying "he's just using oxygen"....Is this what the modern football fan has become? A player who is paid to represent Derby, tries his best (as does Russell), hits a bit of average form and that's the reaction??? I despair

Sigh.............

Baird, Vydra, Davies, Carson, Huddlestone, Thorne, Weimann, Keogh etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Give the guy a blinking chance, won't you 

Only last week at Birmingham some said he was Man of the Match

Jesus. For once, can't you say or do something positive and actually back and support one of our team when  maybe he needs it ?

Beggars belief 

46 minutes ago, feisty said:

Maybe try supporting a young player who has just made a big money move, and who seems to give his all when he's out there. 

Not going to join in with slating him but really can't agree with this statement. 

Was very lazy last night and offered Forsyth no help whatsoever. 

Systematic of English mentality rather than just Derby fans.  We seem to have a downer on players with flair and expect them to do something that is not within their game.  I do wonder if posters who are highly critical of him have actually kicked a ball and no FIFA does not count, I wonder if it’s the same posters who thought Ince wasn’t good enough.

Arrogant,  doesn’t smile, or anything else aimed at his mannerisms are just silly imo, they have no detrimental effect on his performance, I shudder to think what you would have thought of Cantona.

No he isn’t consistent, if he was he wouldn’t be at Derby, no he doesn’t always make the right decision when running with the ball, however alluding to my first point, anyone who has ever kicked a ball in anger in an actual game knows that this is one of the most difficult skills in the game. So if you don’t know what he brings to the game, I don’t think you ever will :-(

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not going to join in with slating him but really can't agree with this statement. 

Was very lazy last night and offered Forsyth no help whatsoever. 

Don’t agree with that, thought he did up until 60 minutes, after that he looked shattered for some reason and that’s when he didn’t help Forsyth out.

What is the point of Lawrence?

He is a Derby County player,doing his best, that is the point.

What is the point of starting a thread like this when we are second in the league and second favourites with the bookies.

Close this Thread please.

When we are second bottom in the Premiership, such threads may be more acceptable.

The Rampage hath spoken.

10 minutes ago, cannable said:

Thought the ‘when he should have passed to Nugent’ situation arose he didn’t because a defender stepped across and filled the passing lane

Probably should have released it earlier. Most of stadium could see the pass. He either didn't or was greedy. The key is to learn from it. Three touches previously he should have the vision to know Nugent there.

However the game last night there are probably ten times when we could teach players to do something differently and that's where the coaching does come into it.

You can truly see the potential this guy holds. He is trying too hard but absolutely deserves his spot. He will get better and better and for me very soon, he will be regularly delivering match winning performances.

33 minutes ago, philmycock said:

what is the point of FindernRam?

He or she is a forum member with as much right to an opinion as everyone else.

IMO, Tom  Lawrence will be a top player next season. He’ll be starting in a top half premiership team, unless he leaves Derby of course, then he could end up anywhere...

Archived