what is the point of Lawrence

FindernRam

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's on Rowett to coach him, particularly with becoming a team player (the very ethos he has been creating).  It's so frustrating when he either reads the game poorly so doesn't pass, or is too greedy to.  Hopefully the latter, as this should be easy to coach. 

I'm not sure how long Rowett would give him to develop in this area, but I'm sure it'll come.  Perhaps a spell in the bench wouldn't hurt, particularly with Andi doing so well. 

5 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Hard to argue with that  I want him to be a success and still think he's being played out of position but got a feeling this signing doesn't look good Really hope I'm wrong 

Me too. I'm not hoping he doesn't succeed; I want him to make me eat my words. I think he'll get better but he needs a strong mentor.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I agree Anag Ram. If Lawrence, Russell and Weimann had passed instead of trying to win a game on TV, we would have won 3 - 0

Weimann? What did he do wrong?

I can't keep up.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Wrong thread mate.

this is the thread where we moan about Tom Lawrence.

Look, RamNut, I am billed on my icon as 'watch out, I am going off topic'. I feel that I have been letting my fanbase down in this respect and I appreciate that you noticed me going off topic, thank you. I have recaptured my mojo and it is all down to you.

Statement to the press

Could not decide where to put that post.

Could not be bothered to look.

No flash photography please.

lol

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Wrong thread mate.

this is the thread where we moan about Tom Lawrence.

I think we need to get something clear on this forum: it's perfectly acceptable to be critical of players. In fact, it's a requirement. One of my favourite quotes in life is "Man {and that includes women too} is challenged to become the best that he can be". Being critical is part of life. Offering balanced criticism is helpful. When I was a footballer, I loved to hear the praise of my peers; I also welcomed their negative comments. It spurned me on and made me work harder, and to try and correct my "alleged" faults. I wonder if TL is putting in extra time, working on his dead balls {may-tron!}. He should be asking Baird for help. And running with his head up...we coach that from age 6. And I'm sure he'll be watching the video of himself back and thinking "I should have passed there rather than take another 5 paces". 

I know that there's very little that "OCD-esque" GR doesn't think through so I fully expect TL to be improving with each game. 

Maybe though TL is fearful because he's his own biggest critic? Maybe somebody else needs to play the good cop and say "Hey Tom, iron out a couple of things and you are some player". 

Maybe the crowd has a role too..."Super Tommy Lawrence" instead of "Super Tom-my Johnson". Which reminds me of a chat I once had with Tommy Johnson just prior to a game:

Ellafella: Hey Tommy, you're lookin' really good!...

TJ: < cracking into a laugh> "well ah feel like a bag o' ****..."

:mellow:

Sorry.....

This is the thread where we offer negative criticism of Tom Lawrence, in the hope and expectation that the dozy b (oops) will improve. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Sorry.....

This is the thread where we offer negative criticism of Tom Lawrence, because we have to have someone to moan about. :lol: 

FTFY

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I think we need to get something clear on this forum: it's perfectly acceptable to be critical of players.

I agree, but topics with the title "what is the point of Lawrence" and closing posts with "Just using oxygen in my view" isn't going to allow for a serious discussion, it's no surprise FindernRam has taken some stick for his topic.

There is a whiff of potential Deja Vu, an old Rammieib topic just over a year ago.

At the time Vydra wasn't having the best of times in a Derby shirt, the formation didn't suit him and was being shoehorned into the side. Now I'm not suggesting this is the case with Lawrence, simply a player signed in August, 6 months down the line here we are again... 

Wixman in the first reply "I'm far from his biggest fan, but this is maybe a little dramatic.

Nail, head. 

Maybe a topic titled "What does Lawrence bring to the team?" would have allowed for a better discussion.

2 ways to start a topic, one allows for a discussion, the other sees which moderators are still awake.

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Interesting words; because I can't warm to him either. But I don't see arrogance on his face ...I see meek and mild and fear. He is the Lion from the wizard of Oz and he needs to learn courage and yes when to pass the ball...he lacks courage and intelligence. His dead balls (ohh may-tron) are very underwhelming {Baird's are far better} and his finishing is school-boy standard. I don't want to disrespect his selection but I don't really get it. 

There’s something not right, I see poor work rate too, he doesn’t like tracking back. I guess because he was a shining light in a poor Ipswich team he could get away with it. Where as in a Rowett team work rate is key. 

He has age on his side and someone has mentioned he’s playing with a knock so let’s hope it’s a blip rather than us buying a lemon. 

Yes was poor on Friday, but in recent weeks he has had some good displays, at old Trafford he was very good, also he does work hard for the team, noticed when Forsythe bombed forward on Friday night to get a cross in, he covered him by dropping back into the left back roll, he is a very good outlet, especially when playing away from home, all wingers seem to dip in and out of form a little bit, but for me Lamrance has been a good addition to our squad and he will have an important part to play this year, I for one will be giving him encouragement in every game, in fact I have him down as our first goal scorer when we next play at Millwall in a 2-0 victory to the Rams.

On 20/01/2018 at 11:25, FindernRam said:

I don't normally have a go at individuals but why is Lawrence at Derby? He can't hit a deadball, tackles like Savage, rubbish decisions and hopeless shooting. Just using oxygen in my view 

whereas everybodys favourite George Thorne looked like he needed oxygen on Friday night

I'll say the same thing I said about Vyds - the latent ability is there and given a chance (ie. if not hounded out of the club) I think he'll do well. Defenders can simply stick the ball in Row Z but wingers need to create. They can't do that without taking risks and trying to beat players. Yes, Tom needs to play a little more heads up football but the tools are there and he's with the right coach so let's just try to be patient. 

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

FindernRam, you have your finger on the button of public opinion and you are good. 137 replies! Well done.

Thank you, praise indeed. @David is correct in that I was being provocative. The forum seems a bit quiet and non controversial of late (probably because we are doing well) so like a cheap tabloid paper I used some emotive language to stir it up a bit. Worked didn't it:D 

Archived