what is the point of Lawrence

FindernRam

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Get in the bin you drama queen... 

young winger with bags of potential that cost roughly the same as Weizmann. 

He wasn’t the worst derby player last night by a long way! 

Or twice as much as "Weizmann" surely?!

I think we're yet to see the best from Lawrence, remember last year and Vydra when everyone thought he was tosh? Some players take time to bed in and I think TL is no different - that said he has made 6 assists (most in the league is 9) so although he is frustrating at times he is still statistically one of our most creative players. I know you can't base a whole argument on stats alone but I think it at least points to him being more effective than he gets credit for. You also have to remember he is trying to fill the void left by Ince who was one of the best players in the league so it was always going to be hard for him to live up to those standards, and he is probably aware Ince's contribution to the team hence his determination to try the spectacular. I agree his performances haven't always been what they should be and he is frustrating at times, but give him time and I think we will see a similar situation to the one with Vydra, after all, his form last year proves he is capable.

I don't think there's anyone who can carry the ball as well as Lawrence. Maybe Vydra in bursts, Wisdom when he's in beast mode and Keogh because Keogh.

But if you look he's the only one who runs directly at a player with the ball right at his feet and tries to beat them either side as late as possible. And when we're not looking for the long ball it's usually him carrying the ball forward from halfway, going past players on the turn. I think that's his game.

I can also think of at least twice he's cleared off the line from corners, so he's doing his job at that end

100% needs to improve his decision making and use his eyes once in a while. He's got a good shot and his corners are decent, just not as good as Baird. 

Lawrence and Russell are the only ball carriers we have. As with all ball carriers, they lose the ball regularly - as it is their job to try high risk manoeuvres - to open up opportunities that you would otherwise not get.

Name me one consistently performing winger anywhere in the world? Possibly Sterling at the moment - and god knows he loses the ball regularly - and until this season was considered a very frustrating player.

All good teams need these type of players though - and when their attempts pay off - they win you games. Patience is called for!

9 hours ago, philmycock said:

what is the point of FindernRam?

Well of course its to stimulate discussion on a boring wet day. I think I did that well with the title!

There were some good intelligent responses. I don't buy into the young sensitive kid bit at all. If he was 17 or 18 yes but he's an international player who has been around a while. If he's such a snowflake that he needs his hand holding now than he shouldn't be in the game. 

15 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

I guarantee if he had come through the academy he'd be being touted as a future England International who will go to Liverpool any day for £50 million

If only that was true. Mason Bennett, at 3 years younger, is over the hill and has no chance of ever making it in the professional game according to some on this forum. Yet Lawrence is a young, developing player. Lawrence still has the shiny new signing tag, although it's starting to tarnish a little. But he won't get jeered off the pitch until pre season...

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

He or she is a forum member with as much right to an opinion as everyone else.

IMO, Tom  Lawrence will be a top player next season. He’ll be starting in a top half premiership team, unless he leaves Derby of course, then he could end up anywhere...

I agree, uttoxram that findernram has a right to make a comment in any thread and that the view should be respected. Starting an entirely negative thread about a player that cost £7 million and who is trying his best while the team is doing so well is a totally different matter. Not his fault that he cost what he did. I actually believe that he has a great future at Derby and dropping him would be counterproductive. Worth his place in this team is my view. No offence, findernram but just as easy to start an entirely positive thread. Enough disappointment in last few seasons, so enjoy our success on a week by week basis.

Would we have believed or settled at the beginning of the season or for a team playing like this and in such a good position? YES.

COYR

22 hours ago, YouRams said:

I can’t warm to him, there’s an air of arrogance about his body language on the pitch (Ince esque) but he’s done nothing to warrant the swagger. 

Hopefully he makes me eat my words.

Interesting words; because I can't warm to him either. But I don't see arrogance on his face ...I see meek and mild and fear. He is the Lion from the wizard of Oz and he needs to learn courage and yes when to pass the ball...he lacks courage and intelligence. His dead balls (ohh may-tron) are very underwhelming {Baird's are far better} and his finishing is school-boy standard. I don't want to disrespect his selection but I don't really get it. 

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I agree, uttoxram that findernram has a right to make a comment in any thread and that the view should be respected. Starting an entirely negative thread about a player that cost £7 million and who is trying his best while the team is doing so well is a totally different matter. Not his fault that he cost what he did. I actually believe that he has a great future at Derby and dropping him would be counterproductive. Worth his place in this team is my view. No offence, findernram but just as easy to start an entirely positive thread. Enough disappointment in last few seasons, so enjoy our success on a week by week basis.

Would we have believed or settled at the beginning of the season or for a team playing like this and in such a good position? YES.

COYR

Agree with your comments but Lawrence needs to understand the importance of teamwork. Too often he loses the ball when others are in a better position. Too often he gives away cheap free kicks. Too often his set pieces miss the mark. 

If he can work on these areas and understand the needs of the players around him he will be worth more than we paid for him.

The Premiership

You get £200 million over a few years

You get skanked on players' wages, transfer fees and agents' fees

and on Players' wages

and on Managerial wages.

If you are in the bottom half you score one goal or less a game

You would take 10 wins at the beginning of the season

You risk going bust and getting stuck with players who are taking you for a ride

You are basically in a bottom ten league

You get the double doing over you by the top six teams, so you need to stay up on 26 games

You are likely to sack your a manager in your first season

Do we want to be in the Premiership?

ABSOLUTELY, bring it on, baby

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Interesting words; because I can't warm to him either. But I don't see arrogance on his face ...I see meek and mild and fear. He is the Lion from the wizard of Oz and he needs to learn courage and yes when to pass the ball...he lacks courage and intelligence. His dead balls (ohh may-tron) are very underwhelming {Baird's are far better} and his finishing is school-boy standard. I don't want to disrespect his selection but I don't really get it. 

Hard to argue with that  I want him to be a success and still think he's being played out of position but got a feeling this signing doesn't look good Really hope I'm wrong 

22 hours ago, Dimmu said:

What annoyed me most was his extremely slow walk off the pitch. ****, we were going for 3 points with three attacking changes and he wasted time in their favor.

Makes no sense and tells a lot of footballing brains he got.

They all did it. I couldn't understand it myself

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

The Premiership

and on Players' wages

and on Managerial wages.

You risk going bust and getting stuck with players who are taking you for a ride

You get the double doing over you by the top six teams, so you need to stay up on 26 games

Try telling that to Leicester fans

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You are matej vydra and i claim the £5

18 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

Not that Tom Lawrence will be another Cristiano Ronaldo (I wish!), but I am reminded of CR's early days at ManUre when he was full of tricks and showing off, arrogant in the extreme but obviously talented, before Ferguson coached him to playing more for the team and less for himself, to the ultimate benefit of both.

The old cliché that "There is no "I" in team" seems relevant here, and I am sure Rowett will be making that point.

There's no "I" in team but if you look carefully there is "me". :mellow:

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Agree with your comments but Lawrence needs to understand the importance of teamwork. Too often he loses the ball when others are in a better position. Too often he gives away cheap free kicks. Too often his set pieces miss the mark. 

If he can work on these areas and understand the needs of the players around him he will be worth more than we paid for him.

I agree Anag Ram. If Lawrence, Russell and Weimann had passed instead of trying to win a game on TV, we would have won 3 - 0

If we can see that, so can Rowett. Lawrence has probably been told to shoot on site. Great feeling to score when on TV but we did not manage it. lawrence works harder than most young players and deserves his place. He did not seem to like being substituted, though.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

The Premiership

and on Players' wages

and on Managerial wages.

Wrong thread mate.

this is the thread where we moan about Tom Lawrence.

Archived