what is the point of Lawrence

FindernRam

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I don't normally have a go at individuals but why is Lawrence at Derby? He can't hit a deadball, tackles like Savage, rubbish decisions and hopeless shooting. Just using oxygen in my view 

He can't cross, can't shoot, doesn't pass and looks pathetic.

i think he'll go a long way..

18 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Maybe you can point this hidden quality out. He makes one mazey run every couple of games assists every six games and scores every 12 games. I don't expect him to "hit the ground running" but by now, 24 games in, some decent contribution to the team would help!

And I'm not making him out as a scapegoat, you only need them when you lose. 

Get your stats right at least. 6 assists (not 4) in 22 Championship appearances is 'some decent contribution to the team' and the same amount Tom Ince managed last season from twice as many.

He's been very frustrating, yes, but to try to claim he's not contributed is cause and offered nothing to the team is utter crap.

18 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Maybe you can point this hidden quality out. He makes one mazey run every couple of games assists every six games and scores every 12 games. I don't expect him to "hit the ground running" but by now, 24 games in, some decent contribution to the team would help!

And I'm not making him out as a scapegoat, you only need them when you lose. 

We have one indifferent game as a team and people can't wait to hammer individual players. Really, if you're not making him the scapegoat for last nights' performance I'd hate to be the receiving player when you do.

Pathetic post 

11 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Wasn't that good at the start was he? When he got going, was recalled straightaway.

At least that's how I remember it...

Just posted this in Lawrence thread. Ibe was dog mess when he arrived. But best winger in the division when he left. I still feel, his recall was the reason we imploded that season. Lingard too, poor on arrival but one of the best wingers in the country now. Just give Lawrence time and he will be of similar ability 

Not that Tom Lawrence will be another Cristiano Ronaldo (I wish!), but I am reminded of CR's early days at ManUre when he was full of tricks and showing off, arrogant in the extreme but obviously talented, before Ferguson coached him to playing more for the team and less for himself, to the ultimate benefit of both.

The old cliché that "There is no "I" in team" seems relevant here, and I am sure Rowett will be making that point.

I really hope Derby players don't come onto this forum...

It's posts like these that give me a headache. Give the kid a f*cking break. He's 24, just made the biggest move of his career, and is desperately trying to impress at a big club with a fanbase as fickle as ours. Try putting yourself in those shoes for a second. 

Every time Lawrence gets the ball at the moment, he tries to do too much. Why? Well most likely because he's nervous. He wants to live up to what is a big, big price tag. The guy was given the shirt number of Tom Ince, our best player for a number of years. Big shoes to fill, right? Enough to make anyone nervous.

And yeah, sure, he's making a few mistakes at the moment. No denying that. But the kid is still by a long way the best winger at our club. He's got clear quality with the ball and a rocket of a shot. We've seen glimpses of his true potential this season. It's just not all clicked for him yet. But it will! He's too good a player for it not to click.

And at least the kid is bloody trying. I'd much rather watch a player with actual quality attempt to beat players and take shots from distance, than watch a Johnny Russell or an Andi Weimann run up and down the wing all day, producing one bit of quality every 3 games. 

Say he scores that chance last night which was expertly saved by Luke Steele. Would this thread be here? No, there wouldn't. I don't think this thread would be here if we'd won the game.

But that's just the nature of some fans on here unfortunately. I'm almost certain that those yelling "what's the point in Tom Lawrence" now are the same fans who wanted Keogh out for no reason year in year out, or those who didn't like Ince because he didn't smile. Get a grip of yourselves. 

And for those of you who want to say "Oh, you want to give Lawrence a break, but what about Johnny Russell" - I've been watching Johnny Russell make the same mistakes in a Derby shirt over and over again for years now. The guy has not improved under the countless managers he's played under. Still can't finish, still gives the ball away more than any other Derby player. Is he in the same boat as Lawrence? Not by a long way. 

40 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

We have one indifferent game as a team and people can't wait to hammer individual players. Really, if you're not making him the scapegoat for last nights' performance I'd hate to be the receiving player when you do.

Pathetic post 

I did not link my comment to last nights game. If I had it would be in the game thread. Just my view of his overall performance but I obviously touched a nerve with some people who methinks protest too much!

Was starting to come into his own before his injury at Barnsley, give him time to build up a head of steam again and he’ll be golden. Got to have patience with someone who’s still relatively inexperienced, even for his age. This is only his second full season in the championship.

Played very well against Birmingham, not so great last night but it was a tough game. I think he’ll score a few important goals this season.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I agree regarding his main problem, though his next main problem is consistency in passing.

Had he seen Nugent completely free in the area, I’m actually doubtful he would have been able to pick him out.

It’s a sign of the times when £7m nowadays only gets you a work in progress Championship player.

He cost £5.5 million , and Rowett considered him a bargain. We shall hope and see.  

Im not a stat man but I’m pretty sure he has the most assists in our team, so wouldn’t have thought he could be branded as selfish. 

I have no issues with a creative player running at opposition. Yes sometimes he could share possession sooner but he’s obviously confident in his own ability. Some may call that arrogance.

He needs more consistency in his game. It may take him a bit longer to get that but it will come  

Archived