Derby County F.C. v Bristol City F.C.

Boycie

43 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Good points,it's difficult to ever get a concensus on football!

As it happens,I largely agree with McLaren and his view on the game (both this one and 'the game's in general)

Pragmatically tho,if all you want is promotion,then rowett is going about it in a effective and ultimately successful fashion.....it's just don't really enjoy the way we go about it.

Others clearly do.

Just my opinion.

That’s fair enough. I loved the football under McClaren 1 and wish we’d got over the line. I was pleased when we re-appointed him and was against his sacking. But last time around, largely due to the personnel signed in the clement era, we didn’t play good football, and he didn’t address the areas that made us one dimensional when he had the opportunity. Given time he may have got that flowing football back but would he have removed the soft underbelly that cost us? Not sure.

I think Rowett has found the right balance. It isn’t hoof ball, some of our play at times is exciting to watch and we score lots of goals. It isn’t like a Pulis team, it isn’t even like a Billy Davies team, but for me more like the Jim Smith team of 95/96 which evolved to be the most successful side we’ve had in recent times.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First and foremost **** right off out of it mclaren ,what a ******* ,Bristol were the only side playing football? Since when did mclaren become the decider of what football is ,,, his problem is rowett is sitting second with a team that’s looks bloody solid and may well get an auto spot so the best he can come up with is yea but they don’t play good football , I see us carve open opposition plenty this season ,, you can stick tippy tippy round the back line up your arse ,

disapointed not to get three points last night , we didn’t get the rub but have got the rub in other games so can’t complain , we did not lose ,I never felt we would lose ( in the way I did over the last few seasons), most importantly I did not see a derby team in second spot imploding or look like they are about to start imploding ,rather the addition of Jerome strengthens us and there may just be more additions in the window ,

7 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

That’s fair enough. I loved the football under McClaren 1 and wish we’d got over the line. I was pleased when we re-appointed him and was against his sacking. But last time around, largely due to the personnel signed in the clement era, we didn’t play good football, and he didn’t address the areas that made us one dimensional when he had the opportunity. Given time he may have got that flowing football back but would he have removed the soft underbelly that cost us? Not sure.

I think Rowett has found the right balance. It isn’t hoof ball, some of our play at times is exciting to watch and we score lots of goals. It isn’t like a Pulis team, it isn’t even like a Billy Davies team, but for me more like the Jim Smith team of 95/96 which evolved to be the most successful side we’ve had in recent times.

It's the right balance to get us out of the division.....I'm not sure how it works but it does.

But I do think McLaren is correct in that we don't play football that's good to watch in a purist sense.

Many times this season both at the ground and on TV,ive struggled to enjoy any pattern of play other than to defend and suddenly counter on the break..... fortunately we have have the kind of striker in vydra to take full advantage of that and get us a winner.

On the other hand I've watched the opposition play some lovely football and fail to win.

So there's the dilemma....I don't like the football,struggle to get excited by it but pleased we are currently doing so well.....after all,I love Derby county.

It's a bit like having a ugly girlfriend who is great at everything but you don't really fancy her.......whereas the last girlfriend was stunning and  occasionally completely crazy but you loved them all the more for it.

17 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's the right balance to get us out of the division.....I'm not sure how it works but it does.

But I do think McLaren is correct in that we don't play football that's good to watch in a purist sense.

Many times this season both at the ground and on TV,ive struggled to enjoy any pattern of play other than to defend and suddenly counter on the break..... fortunately we have have the kind of striker in vydra to take full advantage of that and get us a winner.

On the other hand I've watched the opposition play some lovely football and fail to win.

So there's the dilemma....I don't like the football,struggle to get excited by it but pleased we are currently doing so well.....after all,I love Derby county.

It's a bit like having a ugly girlfriend who is great at everything but you don't really fancy her.......whereas the last girlfriend was stunning and  occasionally completely crazy but you loved them all the more for it.

You must have spent at least 15 of the last 20 seasons not enjoying the football then.

16 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

So reaching second place is like switching the bedroom light off. 

is it OK to bust out the "strikers win matches, defenders win championships" line? We can't win em all, but as an off day that was encouraging. I can't see a collapse from this team even if we do have disappointing days.

Yes last night was monumentally frustrating,  but we actually played alright, no question on effort or commitment, defended well in the most vs a team with good fluid attacking play. Disappointing not to win, but really, really pleased we didn't lose and didn't look in much danger of losing. The defence is better than the 06-07 side and the attacking play has a bit more slickness than that side as well.

Also, good luck to Bristol. Reminded me of us a few years ago, lovely to watch, kept trying to play good football will perhaps be undone by injuries.

18 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Second highest goalscorers in the league. 

20 shots last night.

Shots away from home routinely high. Goals scored away from home routinely high.

I was actually bored by Bristol last night. They changed it at half time. Tried to play higher and we were getting success over the top. Leading to shots on goal, good chances and a penalty shout. 

Meanwhile, they got pressurised into long punts, but they were aimless.

Interesting listening to McClaren. Typical pundit mode really, as he was more or less saying 'I know what it (promotion) takes, but I couldn't make it happen'. Not that I dislike Mac, but he did a knowledge that Bristol City 'purist' football probably wont get them promoted, but the Rowett brand of football would succeed. Mind you, I hear this type of contradictory bull**it all the time at work. Why should football be any different ;)

Just one of those nights, really. 

Nothing to worry about, disappointing we didn't get the win but could be worse. Echo the compliments for Davies and the defence in general. Solid as a rock.

Thought Thorne was poor, Wisdom is yet to prove he's an upgrade on Baird for me, Lawrence too greedy. Had enough chances to win the game so I don't feel like it's quite right for blaming the ref for the result. 

Bemused how many people are upset over McClaren's comments, he was just honest. If it was any other pundit I doubt there would be this much reaction. Seems to be a common thing this year where our fans get precious when the team is called out for what they are. He didn't call us a poor team. We're a good team of course, we're 2nd. But we're not a footballing team and we didn't play much football last night compared to the away team. Not worth crying over really, just seems a few people don't like hearing the truth when in reality, the truth doesn't really matter does it? 

The black kit hanging on the peg in the referee's dressing room saw the ref reaching out to start putting it on and was clearly heard shoutiing "Don't you dare come near me, I'm a referee's kit and you ain't no referee"!

He had an an absolutely awful game, right from the very start. He even made the ref for the Manchester United match look like he was biased towards the Rams! Within the first 5 minutes, Thorne, Russell and Vydra were all heavily clattered, but with only one free-kick to show for it. There were several very cynical fouls, yielding only one yellow, when there could have been two or three others, including a red for a second yellow, such was there cynicism. But when the ref effectively says "stop that or I will frown at you", it is pretty much open season for whoever is getting the favour. The slightest of touches by a Derby player resulted in  free-kicks to Bristol, but there the even-handedness stopped. Tom Lawrence had a defender go right through him from behind, but no free-kick, and so it continued. He made two major errors over corners, giving goal kicks in both cases. The penalty incident - it wasn't just a bit of contact, the defender took Jeromes' leg away with contact to the ankle, a definite penalty. When he was manhandled and wrestled to the floor only a few minutes earlier was also a penalty, but at least he wasn't booked for simulation this time. There were also numerous offside decisions which were in error as well.

One of the outcomes of this terrible display was that the Rams, who, under Rowett don't go diving in for the tackle, became reticent to make any sort of challenge because it would inevitably lead to a free-kick. This allowed Bristol to play to their reputation as a nice, footballing side. They are that, but they are also very cynical and at times, quite dirty, despite a number of posters not worried about the darker side of their game.

At the end of the first half, it could have been 1 - 1, or even 2 - 2, and the match was quite evenly balanced. The second half was like many second halves where we seemed to decide that we could play by remote from the changing rooms, and Bristol had the upper hand. We gradually picked things up, and had an extended spell where we were well on top, and the pressure was incessant, but the breakthrough never came.

Sadly, George Thorne, my favourite player, and maybe our best footballer, had a shocker, so "signed-contractitis" seemed to hit home. Having said that, George may well have been carrying a knock from that very early, very heavy tackle which left him limping, with Gary Rowett wanting to keep him on the pitch. Rusell, as others have said, flattered to deceive, going on some great, threatening runs, but his decision making was poor and very slow. Huddlestone played well last night, carrying an air of authority and looking like his fitness has improved. And although Bristol could have easily knicked it 1 - 0, we could have had 4, 5 or 6 goals in the second half. in reality the game had the potential for being a 0 - 0, and we started to snatch at our chances, with several shots ballooning over the bar.

This was a could have, should have type of match, but only a few months ago, we would have lost that one, and a point my well turn out to be a very good result. Its just a pity we were playing not against 14 players, but maybe against 15 or 16, the match officials were that bad.

Bristol keepers played very well - the woodwork denied us - Vydra missed an easy chance - winnal missed an easy chance - Lawrence refused to pass to an unmarked nugent - Jerome should had a penalty - Chris Martin did absolutely nothing wrong 

have I missed anything? 

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Bristol keepers played very well - the woodwork denied us - Vydra missed an easy chance - winnal missed an easy chance - Lawrence refused to pass to an unmarked nugent - Jerome should had a penalty - Chris Martin did absolutely nothing wrong 

have I missed anything? 

Actually, i thought Martin's input was barely noticeable.

3 hours ago, sage said:

So reaching second place is like switching the bedroom light off. 

And going top would be??

She says she doesn't mind playing Saturday/Tuesday every week and if you have to play it all along the back or just go long to the big man?...

Yes the referee make mistakes...... but what will do me up is folk taking as if they are biased..... as it’s some sort of conspiracy.

I do wonder what joy some of you get out of moaning about an official, week in week out some of you moan. I guess you’re the types who’ll mock a 15/16 year old trying to start out in a kids game..... sounds like some of you have punditanitis, believe everything a pundit/player or manager has to say when a ref makes a mistake.

Its bordering on pathetic, you’ll be sorry when one day, over here..... a official gets attacked or receives a targeted campaign against him/her. You’re heroes will instigate it, and  He masses will follow suit, until one dies the unthinkable...... winning at all costs matters now, so we need a scapegoat to mask failings of players and managers.

I do hope one day we can mic refs up..... but that won’t happen as clubs won’t allow it. Expect referees to be right all the time. It won’t happen. They ain’t robots, they are human.

Shortage in this country and I fear the young kids on a Sunday morning getting in the neck a lot more than some. 

Debate abd disagree..... but respect instead of mock, stop falsely accusing of bias...... money has ruined it, not the officials.

Rant over

Archived