Derby County F.C. v Bristol City F.C.

Boycie

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Hard for me to judge your chances as you say both teams below par but last night you looked a little powder puff. 

Fair one. At times we do... especially against the hard to break down teams, like yourselves and Norwich last week. But if you’re judging everyone in their performance against you, then pretty much everyone is going to look rubbish. LJ has recently said we’re guitly of trying to score the perfect goal, being perhaps a little bit too ‘Arsenal’  but that’s a lot to do with an injury crisis like I’ve never known. 

Ordinarily we’re more clinical than that, but you were well organised which is why you are where you are. 

2 good teams last night, both playing within themselves a little I would have thought. 

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I think we could and should have done more but not really a cause for concern, the game was a bit of a **** one for the viewer and it's hard to win those dull lifeless games.

Deserved to win, but can't really complain because as I say, there was more we could have done. 

I have to disagree. I managed to watch the game on ********** and really enjoyed it.

It couldn't be described as either dull or lifeless. 

Had there been poorer defences and a couple of Gary Sprakes (look him up if you're under a certain age) as goalies there could have been a hatful of goals at either end.

The fact that two good teams locked horns and a ref was below par did not diminish the excitement factor of a fascinating encounter.

At least that's my opinion.

I don't think we can play lawrence and russell.

one wild card is ok. Two is dysfunctional.

the break where Lawrence ran across the box and got brought down summed it up.

We've seen weimann put in like that a couple of times recently - v sheff utd and villa . he drives direct into the box. Lawrence wandered off into traffic like a supermarket trolley with a dodgy wheel.

Lawrence or russell please gary.

For me last night showed we will be there or there abouts come the end of the season.

On another night we could’ve won 3-0 Vydras chance , Lawrence’s effort and a stonewall penalty but we now look a very robust side and defensively probably the best we,ve been in years.

im not too despondent we didn’t win or blow them away because it was always going to be a tight game and we restricted them to very few chances and I do think they’re one of the better sides in this league.

Davies was awesome and defo motm and Jerome looks like a very astute signing by GR.

I thought George was off the pace a bit to be honest and Lawrence needs a goal or 2 and think his confidence will rise but all in all a decent display and unlucky really not to win.

Russell still frustrates me because you never know what he’s going to do when he gets the ball and his decision making is no better than always but cannot deny his effort 

we all know how much of a marathon and a slog the championship is and to me we look like we,re in for the long haul together with Villa and Cardiff for 2nd place .

Millwall away next is another proper test and not an easy one we really need to keep getting behind this team because there are 18 very big games coming up ....

COYR ??

Carson - nothing to do

wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth- all job done

huddlestone - good game

thorne - over trying at times not great but not poor

lawrence - greedy in my opinion and should have easily fed nugent in the first half for an easy chance, one good shot in the second half but overall poor

Russell - usual , frustrating and brilliant,  first touch not there so the ball bouncing of him great shot from the free kick but very unlucky not to score one great clearance when Bristol got in behind - he is the player that is the constant threat to the opposition during the game

nugent - took up some great positions without being given the ball

vydra - some good saves against him and would have scored on another day

subs 

wieman - looks nice and interested but he doesn’t seem to use composure does he

winnal - nearly sniffed one out

jerome - I haven’t seen the penalty yet but it would have been nice if he had shot at goal but went down far to easily 

bristol city- nice outfit but to be fair we have an awful lot more than them as it stands but a good point for them and they should have put a couple on target and they may have had all three points

Derby - best thing - we kept a clean sheet in a game where we didn’t score and on so many occasions we would have lost games like these.

17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I don't think we can play lawrence and russell.

one wild card is ok. Two is dysfunctional.

the break where Lawrence ran across the box and got brought down summed it up.

We've seen weimann put in like that a couple of times recently - v sheff utd and villa . he drives direct into the box. Lawrence wandered off into traffic like a supermarket trolley with a dodgy wheel.

Lawrence or russell please gary.

If we had the cash I think we would be looking for wide options. Lawrence needs someone to take him to one side and explain the team ethic. 

It’s so frustrating when talented players breeze past defenders, thus creating space for others, then fail to use that space to the team’s advantage.

Russell glides across the turf but the effort takes oxygen from his brain and his lack of composure makes him do daft things. He had two shots last might that took the ball further away from goal than when he hit them!

However, we are talking about players other teams would love to have. I also noticed last night that when we broke, we didn’t always take up positions which helped the ball carrier. This can make them look hesitant or selfish. I was disappointed we didn’t get more bodies into our attacks, but perhaps the defeat at Ashton Gate made us nervous.

15 minutes ago, Saity said:

I thought George was off the pace a bit to be honest

I didn't think he was off the pace, did loads of running.

Just thought with the new contract, a starting place nearly nailed down and a big game in front of the cameras (not Mo and family) he just tried to force things a bit too much. Expected really when a top player like him comes back and wants to show what he can do, but he's not quite back to his best yet.

He will be soon though.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I didn't think he was off the pace, did loads of running.

Just thought with the new contract, a starting place nearly nailed down and a big game in front of the cameras (not Mo and family) he just tried to force things a bit too much. Expected really when a top player like him comes back and wants to show what he can do, but he's not quite back to his best yet.

He will be soon though.

He was trying to do the right things without them coming off, it’s far less worrying than players constantly making the wrong decisions. I think same with Forsyth, and Russell to an extent, that as the season progresses those passes will start getting more sharp, more accurate and come together. I hope anyway!

So many different opinions on the game!! That’s what makes football brilliant. Everyone’s in agreement the ref had a shocker but that’s about the only thing we agree on.

Those saying Fozzy had a mare, I actually thought he was solid and is looking closer to the Fozzy pre-injury.

Taking out 10-15 mins at start of the second half where he gave the ball away in dangerous areas, thought Johnny was excellent, definitely the best of the front 4 last night.

Not our night, clear chances to win the game and Bristol had 1 clear chance and a couple of dangerous situations in second half. People blinded a little by their tippy tappy style, looks great but against us what did it really create?

I watched the game back last night and thought the sky pundits were ok. Andrews talks sense, pure football rarely gets you out of this league. McClaren is caught up in an ideal of how he thinks football should be played, but that’s the reason he’s out of work! He can’t adapt, we nearly got out of the division but for Gary o’neil and a defensive **** up, and then injuries the following season but even then everything centred on Chris Martin and we only had one way of playing. Derby had to play 8 or 9 out of 10 just to win matches. It’s not sustainable. Bristol remind me a lot of that McClaren Derby team. It would be great if we could get automatic and they win the playoffs, but I think they will just fall short.

McClaren annoyed me with some of his comments but even he conceded Bristol never looked like winning the game.

A good point, keeps Bristol 5 points behind us. If we keep doing that against the top 6 teams and win the others that will be enough for a return to the promised land!

28 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

So many different opinions on the game!! That’s what makes football brilliant. Everyone’s in agreement the ref had a shocker but that’s about the only thing we agree on.

Those saying Fozzy had a mare, I actually thought he was solid and is looking closer to the Fozzy pre-injury.

Taking out 10-15 mins at start of the second half where he gave the ball away in dangerous areas, thought Johnny was excellent, definitely the best of the front 4 last night.

Not our night, clear chances to win the game and Bristol had 1 clear chance and a couple of dangerous situations in second half. People blinded a little by their tippy tappy style, looks great but against us what did it really create?

I watched the game back last night and thought the sky pundits were ok. Andrews talks sense, pure football rarely gets you out of this league. McClaren is caught up in an ideal of how he thinks football should be played, but that’s the reason he’s out of work! He can’t adapt, we nearly got out of the division but for Gary o’neil and a defensive **** up, and then injuries the following season but even then everything centred on Chris Martin and we only had one way of playing. Derby had to play 8 or 9 out of 10 just to win matches. It’s not sustainable. Bristol remind me a lot of that McClaren Derby team. It would be great if we could get automatic and they win the playoffs, but I think they will just fall short.

McClaren annoyed me with some of his comments but even he conceded Bristol never looked like winning the game.

A good point, keeps Bristol 5 points behind us. If we keep doing that against the top 6 teams and win the others that will be enough for a return to the promised land!

Good points,it's difficult to ever get a concensus on football!

As it happens,I largely agree with McLaren and his view on the game (both this one and 'the game's in general)

Pragmatically tho,if all you want is promotion,then rowett is going about it in a effective and ultimately successful fashion.....it's just don't really enjoy the way we go about it.

Others clearly do.

Just my opinion.

Go on scores on the doors

Carson 6 ( nothing to do )

Forsyth 5 ( gave the ball away too much and poor delivery 

Keogh 7.5 ( one silly mistake and a few dodgy passes but solid overall)

Davies 9.5 ( pure class)

wisdom 7 ( solid)

Thorne 5 ( Constantly giving the ball away, suspect the games are catching up on him )

Hudds 8.5 ( very good considering he was doing Thornes job too ) 

Lawrance 4 ( wasteful and greedy) 

Russell 6 ( terrible end product but tried hard)

Vydra 6 ( Looked like a few cocktails and sunshine will do him the world of good) 

Nugent 6 Tried but not his day) 

Gary 6 ( should have made a change earlier on the wing. 3 subs at once rarely works and like yesterday disrupts the momentum we were starting to build) 

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

Go on scores on the doors

Carson 6 ( nothing to do )

Forsyth 5 ( gave the ball away too much and poor delivery 

Keogh 7.5 ( one silly mistake and a few dodgy passes but solid overall)

Davies 9.5 ( pure class)

wisdom 7 ( solid)

Thorne 5 ( Constantly giving the ball away, suspect the games are catching up on him )

Hudds 8.5 ( very good considering he was doing Thornes job too ) 

Lawrance 4 ( wasteful and greedy) 

Russell 6 ( terrible end product but tried hard)

Vydra 6 ( Looked like a few cocktails and sunshine will do him the world of good) 

Nugent 6 Tried but not his day) 

Gary 6 ( should have made a change earlier on the wing. 3 subs at once rarely works and like yesterday disrupts the momentum we were starting to build) 

Agree with most of those but would have given both Hudders and Russell 7....

40 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Defensively I thought Fozzie was okay, not great on the attack though. Russell i have the complete opposite opinion to you, I honestly thought at times he could have worn a Bristol shirt, he seemed to be doing more for them in giving the ball away than for us BUT like Ive said before when he runs at the defenders he scares them to death, such a shame he has virtually no end product.

On reflection, I thought a draw was about right. Bristol without creating much, stopped us playing and I don’t think we really had an answer.

Never blame the ref, we’ve had a decent amount of decisions go our way this season, I’d rather one not go our way now than say in April/May. Dust off and move on.

Keogh’s bursting run is starting to get sussed out ie man mark the other players and let him run into a blind alley. Might need a rethink

Defensively thought we were very good, not much came down Forsyth’s side, the rest coasted through really.

Forsyth is ten times the better with Johnson in front of him. Lawrence needs a rollicking. Too lightweight and looking for fouls. Not looking to get past the full back enough either.

Thought Russell was our biggest threat, in a tight game you need a player who runs directly at his man. Russell did that and that’s how we got in our best positions.

Vydra, an off game but felt his attitude was poor too. Was often in no mans land, not close enough to Nugent when closing down or the midfielders in general. Along with Lawrence, he lost interest. Not his night, hopefully next game he’s back to his best.

Nugent’s running from side to side act came back last night, sometimes worked but not enough support. Looked his best when he takes a touch on the ball and is controlled rather than running about looking for flicks. Think him and Vydra are in danger of believing their own hype on their partnership and overpass. Can’t fault his effort though, don’t necessarily think he was poor just not effective (possibly from being isolated in fairness)

Subs possibly a little late, Weimann looked lost, Winnall tried to make an impact and Jerome showed us what to expect.

Said last night I felt like a rant, and don’t wanna be too harsh but just felt I had a lot of questions coming out of last night and maybe not enough answers. Hopefully against Millwall it might start to click. In the end probably a good point, although it probably will end up putting pressure on us picking up 3 points at the like of Villa and other promotion rivals.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agree with most of those but would have given both Hudders and Russell 7....

It’s funny really, if I’d done it yesterday I would have given Russell a 5 or even 4, I thought he was just so wasteful. Having watched it again today on the telly. I upped it to the 6 at least he was trying. TBH he was worth more than 2 points better than Lawrence 

I think a lot of posters have been watching Derby fro 40 years and only seen one team play. The criticism on here and especially on RD last night is way over the top. You have to take into account the quality of the opposition. With us, Wolves, Cardiff and Villa they are one of the best teams in the league. Whilst we missed some chances and our movement at times stifled our passing, that performance would probably have beaten 20 of the other teams. Even then we were denied a clear penalty which would probably have won us the game.  

You will lose the ball at times, when the other team presses you well. Good keepers will save good shots. We are on a great run and are a good team but there are other good teams around us. 

Archived