Sunderland (A) - Match thread

Eoghan1884

Dunno why I bother watching us away from home. Every game goes the same way, have a lively opening 5-10 minutes creating a few half opportunities. Then let the home side grow into the game then make a silly error to give them a goal. Can't get back into the game because we're crap from open play, especially when teams sit back. Finally after about 75 minutes, start to actually attack again and create a few decent chances but do nothing with them. Something's got to change.

Let’s see what the rest of October and November brings.

I think given the start to the season Sunderland have had and the confidence they are riding, it was always difficult to see us getting anything tonight, and sadly so it proved.

We’ve hit a tough patch. It was inevitable at some stage. I just hope that this losing run we are on doesn’t eat away at confidence and belief, because it’s ever so fragile and that would be the worst possible timing.

We have nine games up until the end of November that will give us far more definitive answers about where we are in the landscape of the division, certainly more than the previous three games have done. I don’t think we believed we could go to places like Bramall Lane and get something.

To me, if we are not averaging 2 points a game over the next 8-9 games, it would be a huge concern. We have to be looking at getting plenty of wins and draws on the board and looking upwardly mobile, rather than letting the losses pile up and getting dragged into the bottom 3.

4 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Because Collins isn’t quick enough and at this level is rarely in the right place at the right time.

As much as I love Collo he’s unlikely to be the answer this year. Unless the question is either “who shall we bring on to defend from the front now we’re cruising” or “who had 67 minutes for the first yellow card”? 

There is no shame in the result tonight. After all, Sunderland are now top of the league, and haven’t conceded at home yet this season.

There is really no shame in any of our away results so far in my opinion. All four teams are in the top eight, and could well all be top six by tomorrow.

However, we obviously do need to pick up some points away from home this season, if only to avoid putting massive pressure on every home game. I think the next five away games are therefore going to be quite crucial. We must aim for maybe 6/7 points minimum from trips to Millwall, Oxford, Stoke, Coventry and Preston.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Let’s see what the rest of October and November brings.

I think given the start to the season Sunderland have had and the confidence they are riding, it was always difficult to see us getting anything tonight, and sadly so it proved.

We’ve hit a tough patch. It was inevitable at some stage. I just hope that this losing run we are on doesn’t eat away at confidence and belief, because it’s ever so fragile and that would be the worst possible timing.

We have nine games up until the end of November that will give us far more definitive answers about where we are in the landscape of the division, certainly more than the previous three games have done. I don’t think we believed we could go to places like Bramall Lane and get something.

To me, if we are not averaging 2 points a game over the next 8-9 games, it would be a huge concern. We have to be looking at getting plenty of wins and draws on the board and looking upwardly mobile, rather than letting the losses pile up and getting dragged into the bottom 3.

Oct and Nov important as we have 4 games against Parachute teams in December. We have lost 8 away games on the bounce including Pre-Season . Home points alone won’t keep us safe . 

Serious work needed on the training ground to improve our passing and creativity in open play. Yates has also been very isolated in these two games, so we need to tweak our system to get him involved again - either play him in a 2 (but with who?), or get someone like Harness playing behind him.

I think we'll stay up if we get through to January outside of the bottom 3 (16 games). A couple of forward options (CF and winger), plus cover for Ozoh will be important.

Saying that, only 1 game out of our next 10 is against top half opposition, so we'll be in a good place to judge our true standing in the league after that run. 

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Serious work needed on the training ground to improve our passing and creativity in open play. Yates has also been very isolated in these two games, so we need to tweak our system to get him involved again - either play him in a 2 (but with who?), or get someone like Harness playing behind him.

I think we'll stay up if we get through to January outside of the bottom 3 (16 games). A couple of forward options (CF and winger), plus cover for Ozoh will be important.

Saying that, only 1 game out of our next 10 is against top half opposition, so we'll be in a good place to judge our true standing in the league after that run. 

I agree with this. But then I think how much work can be done? 

First goal is obviously sloppy play from Chiwera but the finish is outstanding. Most of the time you get away with that. 

Second goal Wilson has been caught up field and they've crossed it and scored. I thought defensively we were fine. Zetterstrom hasn't had a save to make.

What is letting us down is the decision making in the final third.

Just off the top of my head:-

Wilson simple pass to set Jackson through on goal. Too much on it and keeper clears it. This is honestly basic. Not sure what can be done on the training ground with this. It's just a really poor pass.

Mendez-Laing, who was deservedly dropped in my opinion. I thought he's been poor all season culminating in his worst display against Norwich. I don't think he's good enough for this level. First crossing opportunity he gets, straight out of play. Second one comes straight through to him from the right. Not a Sunderland player within 20 yards. All the time in the world to pick out a good cross and he smacks it straight over the bar. Next he takes a corner straight into the side netting. It's just poor poor play that you cannot legislate for.

Blackett-Taylor should have squared it instead of shooting from that angle. 

It really doesn't matter who is playing upfront when you cross balls out of play. 

We also need to get Kenzo more advanced and on the all more because he's out best footballer, best passer and best crosser of the ball by a country mile.

Strange little patch we're in, we look good in spells, terrible in others. Not really getting outplayed but a few moments of brilliance + the odd mistake is the difference. Still need to work on the basics and start to grind a few results out. I do fear we're missing a few bits of quality that these "established" Championships clubs have, can't help but feel survival will be an accomplishment. 

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Oct and Nov important as we have 4 games against Parachute teams in December. We have lost 8 away games on the bounce including Pre-Season . Home points alone won’t keep us safe . 

We certainly need to start picking up points away from home (although tonight and against Sheffield United were both very unlikely) but I really don't think you should be including pre-season friendlies in any losing streaks. 

Just now, jimtastic56 said:

Absolutely, they won’t.

We need to start turning moments of promise into results away from home. The next four to five away games should present the perfect opportunity to show what we can do.

I am as positive as they come and fully back Warne in what he’s trying to achieve but if we can’t go to Millwall, Stoke, Preston and Oxford in the coming weeks and pick up some results, then we are going to find ourselves in a world of trouble and massive alarm bells would be ringing.

I am not expecting four wins or anything dramatic. It’s about taking small steps. Even four hard fought draws would show some forward movement, especially if it is backed up with a good run of results at home.

We just have to stop the rot away from home. The longer it goes on, the more it will eat away at the players, the staff and honestly even the fans will start to lose enthusiasm. We don’t want the feel good factor to slip away.

5 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Good interview with Warne on Radio Derby. Honest. Saw the game the same as the majority of posters on here.

Careful, that’s only one step away from giving people on here the impression they could manage this side to a top 6 finish this year! 😆

Fortunately, we're still 13th, having played some good sides, particularly away, and having been on the end of poor decisions in the last 2 games. There are some very clear areas for improvement, particularly in passing at key moments, cutting out mistakes and keeping a good shape with and without the ball.

I didn't expect anything from Sunderland, but I sense a general feeling that defeat could have been avoided.