Liam Cooper

Nuwtfly

Plenty to be positive about Liam Cooper, but the starting position of our defence is so low because we lack any sort of pace there. Cooper doesn’t scratch that itch, not by a long way, I’d take him but feel that will be something that plagues us this season if we don’t find a solution. 

If there is no viable option with pace within our budget (which looks to be the case) then I am more than happy to have someone of Coopers experience within the squad & in the dressing room. His importance may well end up being more off the pitch than on it.

2 minutes ago, RamInSweden said:

Don’t think many centre backs will. It’s not a position that many players are blessed with pace.

But the recruitment team was specifically tasked with identifying targets with pace. There are definitely some. It's incredibly poor not to have brought one in. 

Cooper would likely be better than Bradley at CB, but a 33 year old centre half isn't the long-term way to build the club. But is better than nothing. 

I'd be ok with a lack of pace if his brain is about 5 seconds in front of the attackers (not saying that is Cooper but pace might not be deal breaker). We need an extra CB so if a deal can be struck, sure thing, that is if we need bodies through the door, and it appears we do.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

But the recruitment team was specifically tasked with identifying targets with pace. There are definitely some. It's incredibly poor not to have brought one in. 

Cooper would likely be better than Bradley at CB, but a 33 year old centre half isn't the long-term way to build the club. But is better than nothing. 

There is a difference between identifying players to actually bringing them in. Whoever we had targetted may have been out of our budget, or not available in the end.

To be honest I'm not sure about Cooper.

He brings leadership, experience, championship knowhow, big club experience. He can head it all day and is a basic player.

However, as many leeds fans pointed out at the end of his spell with them, his lack of pace gets exposed consistently, his positioning let's him down and he constantly appeals for offsides that are not even close.

He could be inspired and we love him, or he could be shocking and targeted by boo boys very early because of the leeds connection.

This would be a massive gamble by Warne and if it goes wrong it could really put a nail in his coffin for an element of our fan base.